Sour Cream

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi Mike J. I am not so sure cornstarch would work - doesn't it need to be heated to dissolve? Good idea though...

No, cornstarch needs heat to thicken, just like flour.  But cornstarch has a more neutral taste.

In essence you are adding something to absorb the excess water, both will do that.

Edited by Hobbit112
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

Right, now just got to find the plain yogurt and maple syrup :huh:

S & R has the syrup, I believe. And I think maybe at SM and probably Gaisano.

Plain yogurt lives usually on a shelf with or adjacent to sour cream - and that part of the shelf is often empty too - especially when I need it to make a curry!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Gaisano  supermarket has a Asian section with many imported products, well at least they do in Cebu.

22 hours ago, virginprune said:

Regarding curry spices, there is an Indian shop opposite the rear gate to the Philippines Womens College.

I found two Indian groceries online - thanks for the assists. I have not visited either, but they are both highly rated. The one virginprune mentioned is close by and looks gooe. The one that is on the Illustre Extension has over 100 photos online showing just everything Indian I could ever want, and more - even including Ghee. Between these two dedicated Indian groceries and Gaisano, I think I will soon be in Indian curry heaven... Before, I had no idea these places existed.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Plenty of advice on making sour cream with a google search.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, scott h said:

Really? I have seen it at SR all the time, and walter mart SM and pure gold...…….it is not the type I am used to in the states....a bit watery but it works. 

Maybe you can give me a brand name. The ones I have tried don't come close.:mellow:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Plenty of advice on making sour cream with a google search.

Lynne has tried many recipes that she found with a Google or Youtube search.  I am still waiting for her to try one that actually works.  The trouble is the ingredients and altitude and humidity.  Here is what I mean:

I had bragged about my mother's pie crusts for a year and kept telling Lynne to wait until Mum comes so she can show how to make a good pie crust.   So Mum comes and tries it.  Total disaster.  Then Mum tells us how she had the same trouble making pies for my brother in Australia when she visited.  For a recipe to turn out the same every time then all the parameters have to be the same.

Thus the moral of the story is:   We need advice from people who live here and do that with local ingredients.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

brand name.

Nestle if I remember right

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We need advice from people who live here and do that with local ingredients.

What do the Mexican restaurants here use? 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Mexican restaurants here use

What Mexican restaurants!!!???? Still looking for one lolol :89:

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What do the Mexican restaurants here use? 

Probably mayo! :hystery: