Progress

graham59
Posted
Posted

Camote tops straight from the garden for me. Grow like weeds, and apparently very nutritious.  :thumbsup:

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I remember an old avert on the tv I think it was for doughnuts, a little fat girl being treated by her parents. Fat is good in the Philippines, in the west they would be locked up for child abuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

I have often wondered is the Filipino diet really healthy.

It would appear that up to a certain age Filipino's are relatively thin, then bang the weight just piles on.

Rice being the main stay of the majority of people, in itself is not healthy if eaten three or four times a day.

Then for those who can afford, fast food and sugary deserts bring on other health problems,

so sometimes eating little, often, can bring it's own rewards. I don't recall ever seeing the Chinese eating large meals .....JB

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

then bang the weight just piles on.

Just bone lazy...……..…….

Not many places you can step out your door and flag a jeepney with out even walking to a bus stop.

To most people here (not all by any means)exercise is a dirty, very dirty word. Add to that the habit of taking a minimum of four meals a day.

Now I have never been to Vietnam or Thailand, but I have been to Japan and Korea where just as much rice is eaten as the Philippines, an I would wager Vietnam and Thailand are the same...………….I really don't think we can blame rice :hystery:

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, graham59 said:

Camote tops straight from the garden for me. Grow like weeds, and apparently very nutritious.  :thumbsup:

How do you prepare the camote tops? Straight up raw or cooked?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Then for those who can afford, fast food and sugary deserts bring on other health problems,

Like diabetes, high blood pressure. There is a lot of type II diabetes I am learning. My Partner is on the edge of it and her mother has it already. All her family wonders why I seldom eat rice or not much of the sugary macaroni salad or other sweets...

graham59
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

How do you prepare the camote tops? Straight up raw or cooked?

I just chop up the leaves and add them to my 'stews' , with potatoes , etc.  Similar to adding spinach. Haven't tried them raw. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I just chop up the leaves and add them to my 'stews' , with potatoes , etc.  Similar to adding spinach. Haven't tried them raw. 

Wow, thanks! I will give that a try whenever I can find those leaves. We don't grow that yet, but I am sure we can find some. I wonder if they would stir-fry too? I would think so...

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm sure they will stir fry.  Easy to grow....like creepers, along the ground.  Probably a foot a day during the rainy season. I just clip off the new fresh leaves,  quick rinse, chop into small pieces,  throw in the pot, and that's my 'greens' for the day. :biggrin: 

Tomatoes also grow really well in our garden, plus assorted other veggies, such as these egg plants (photo from yesterday, I think ?).

Oh, and those are Camotes in the right foreground.

65681862_2250727064974494_9073297461396635648_o.jpg

Edited by graham59
additional info
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Tomatoes also grow really well in our garden, plus assorted other veggies, such as these egg plants (photo from yesterday, I think ?).

I will be having a home built for us - hopefully before the end of the year. Our plans are to grow all kinds of veggies, like your ideas, plus spring onions, long beans and whatever we can grow that will thrive. The location is in an old fruit orchard so we also want mangoes, limes (like the big USA limes, called "lemons" here), papaya and bananas. We will definitely try camotes.

• Like 1