Progress

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, I suppose it will depend upon location and soil type (Ask the locals what does well where you are).

We have quite a selection of fruit and veg growing here on our lot (I too had our own small house built... and still being extended).

Currently,,,. Mangoes, Bananas, Pineapples, Papaya, Bamboo shoots, Ampalaya , Egg plants Dill, Garlic, Root Ginger, Bell peppers, String beans, Tomatoes, hot Chili,  Okra,  Camote (Sweet Potato), and others with local names.  My Mrs does most of the 'gardening though... have to admit.  :unsure:

Edited by graham59
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, scott h said:

Now I have never been to Vietnam or Thailand, but I have been to Japan and Korea where just as much rice is eaten as the Philippines, an I would wager Vietnam and Thailand are the same...………….I really don't think we can blame rice :hystery:

Sorry to disagree Scott

The first thing Filipino's are told to reduce with diabetes,  is in fact, their intake of rice!

Of course not all people gain weight as they age but  as stated earlier a mixture of the food they eat and lack of sexercise is the main reason in a lot of cases.......I am not talking of the really  poor people who sadly exist daily on a handful of rice!

Respectfully JB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2019 at 6:57 AM, Mike J said:

Moalboal started to "progress" about three years ago.  Nice to have a shopping center, and more than a single cash machine in the entire town.  But progress comes at a cost for sure.  Moalboal is not quite the sleepy little fishing village it was six years ago.   They even started having to use traffic enforcers at the main intersections in town (all three of them).  

Whenever traffic enforcers show up you can guarantee that traffic will be slower! Fact.:laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Whenever traffic enforcers show up you can guarantee that traffic will be slower! Fact.:laugh: 

Actually it has helped.  Most vehicles now will wait instead of trying to force their way into traffic.  Maybe they realize they will get their turn.

Edited by Mike J
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Actually it has helped.  Most vehicles now will wait instead of trying to force there way into traffic.  Maybe they realize they will get there turn.

It's different here. When thing are left alone..everyone figures it out for themselves and just take turns. Happened today on my way home from my daily drive. :89::huh:

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

their intake of rice!

as usual john, I express myself poorly. I should have gone into detail. the guys I see working daily are rail thin, you know the laborers and the like. When I wath them they eat a lot of rice. They are in great health, internally anyway. It is the non laborer class I should have referred to, fat, flabby and sedentary that don't change their eating habits, don't exercise that develop high blood, and diabetes. :cheersty:

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

and lack of sexercise is the main reason in a lot of cases

Did I really sat that :hystery: exercise was what I mean but maybe it works both ways!

7 minutes ago, scott h said:

the guys I see working daily are rail thin, you know the laborers and the like. When I wath them they eat a lot of rice. They are in great health,

When you work/ labour hard you tend burn up the calories, as they say... you have to be fit to stay fit. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:Cheers buddy

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

It's different here. When thing are left alone..everyone figures it out for themselves and just take turns. Happened today on my way home from my daily drive. :89::huh:

So what's with so many Filipinos??? This is a place where things generally move glacially slow - if at all. Yet, so many drive like they are going to be late for their own funerals? Or is that really the reason? I don't get it...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

Currently,,,. Mangoes, Bananas, Pineapples, Papaya, Bamboo shoots, Ampalaya , Egg plants Dill, Garlic, Root Ginger, Bell peppers, String beans, Tomatoes, hot Chili,  Okra,  Camote (Sweet Potato), and others with local names.  My Mrs does most of the 'gardening though... have to admit.  :unsure:

That's all? Kidding... that is a lot of food! And all very good and healthy food - good on ya!

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

As well as sweet potato leaf I like kangkong (swamp cabbage) as a substitute for spinach. I use it quite a lot in Indian dishes like sag gosht and vegetable balti.

• Like 1