Stereo Speakers

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Can anyone suggest a place where I can buy stereo speakers besides a mall store? I don't trust buying anything online that I cannot listen to and test for sound quality.

I need two different sets.... One smaller type for computer, TV and video to use in a small room and a larger set for use with a big TV and nice sound system for music in the living/dining area of the house. Right now the small set will do - I have a three year old pair of Bose speakers designed for computer use and - just like the previous pair - one of the speakers started rattling and is now so bad it is basically useless. And this pair was not cheap - I will try a different brand next time.

And no... I am not looking for the larger set to be a karaoke volume version that causes grid power fluctuations (grey-outs?) or that can be heard kilometers away... just inside my home - maybe 80-100 watts total output?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Tommy, I Have no idea, what is wrong with the SM  cyber zone stores? Personally I would rather buy something from a well know store than a mom and pop in the barangay. But either way I would start at the mall, ask the kids there and I bet they would know what is in your area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is a SONY store in the mall in CDO, they have display units that you can listen to, maybe there is also a SONY store in a mall near you?

I'm pretty happy with the single SONY unit I've got in Australia and the dual stereo units we've got at the house in CDO (they're basically the same but the stereo version has blank tops on the speakers with a separate control box which duplicates the functions on the top of the stand alone unit).

I wouldn't say they're audiophile quality sound but they're reliable, full of features (blue tooth, AM/FM radio USB etc) and easy to use with your TV, music source or for home Kareoke.

IMG_1066-XL.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, scott h said:

Tommy, I Have no idea, what is wrong with the SM  cyber zone stores? Personally I would rather buy something from a well know store than a mom and pop in the barangay. But either way I would start at the mall, ask the kids there and I bet they would know what is in your area.

Thanks Scott... I understand what you're saying about buying from the mall store. However I have purchased a few bigger ticket items - like washing machine and vacuum cleaner. The thing I don't like is that any warranty work and it is up to me to go find the service center - the store has nothing to do with you after you pay your money and take delivery. So I am not sure how much advantage there might be there.

Also, maybe just because I am a bit picky, I want to try to get a choice. So I figure to try SM, maybe Octagon (for the computer/video speakers) and some others. I was hoping there might be more of a specialty store for quality sound systems... But, yes, I have not forgotten where I am...

11 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

There is a SONY store in the mall in CDO, they have display units that you can listen to, maybe there is also a SONY store in a mall near you?

I'm pretty happy with the single SONY unit I've got in Australia and the dual stereo units we've got at the house in CDO (they're basically the same but the stereo version has blank tops on the speakers with a separate control box which duplicates the functions on the top of the stand alone unit).

I wouldn't say they're audiophile quality sound but they're reliable, full of features (blue tooth, AM/FM radio USB etc) and easy to use with your TV, music source or for home Kareoke.

Thanks Geoff! I don't remember, but I think there must be at least one Sony store in one of the four major malls rather close to me. I would trust Sony.... And I had not thought of CDO so I will look there too. I don't need the bells and whistles except USB and computer compatibility (which I assume they all have these days?). I don't listen to the radio here and don't intend too. Maybe I will try a satellite music service, if it's available here?

Oh... and Geoff... please don't use the K word?:bonk: Karaoke will not touch our home - except for the possible (probable) noise pollution from outside!:smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Oh... and Geoff... please don't use the K word?:bonk: Karaoke will not touch our home - except for the possible (probable) noise pollution from outside!:smile:

When I try my turn at Kareoke there is (probable) noise pollution inside :mocking:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

When I try my turn at Kareoke there is (probable) noise pollution inside :mocking:

Well...if you ever visit our home, we will just need to make sure you always have a cold beer on your lips to keep you quiet and occupied?:hystery:

• Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Also, maybe just because I am a bit picky, I want to try to get a choice. So I figure to try SM, maybe Octagon (for the computer/video speakers) and some others. I was hoping there might be more of a specialty store for quality sound systems... But, yes, I have not forgotten where I am..

For your computer, the brands like Logitech others all sound fairly good these days.  Small sub-woofer with two speakers is good enough.  Mine have always lasted 5+ years.  Available at many places.

I bought my large Yamaha speakers (and Yamaha Home Theater) at SM Appliance Pampanga.  Not the best Yamaha line but they have been fine.  I use a cheap sub-woofer with it and those are fine.

Old55 is our resident hifi expert!  He might know of some shops in Manila.  I know he knows a high end shop in Cebu.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

For your computer, the brands like Logitech others all sound fairly good these days.  Small sub-woofer with two speakers is good enough.  Mine have always lasted 5+ years.  Available at many places.

I bought my large Yamaha speakers (and Yamaha Home Theater) at SM Appliance Pampanga.  Not the best Yamaha line but they have been fine.  I use a cheap sub-woofer with it and those are fine.

Old55 is our resident hifi expert!  He might know of some shops in Manila.  I know he knows a high end shop in Cebu.

Thanks OMW! I have had great experiences with Logitech units - like the Logitech mouse and keyboard I am using right now. And 5+ years is a whole lot better than my experience with the pricey, big name, Bose speakers that have failed after 3-...

Howard
Posted
Posted

I have 2 of the JBL bluetooth speakers. I got them at Robinsons and they do let you try them before buying. I have the smaller Flip4 and the larger Charge 3. I really like them and they are reasonably priced at like 5 to 6000 pesos.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

I have some Logitech ones, with subwoofer for my laptop...dual-wired with a pair of US Audio speakers (bought locally) and a separate little amp..  Look on Lazada.

In the Sala, I have a big pair of Sony high-end  speakers, powered by a Cambridge Audio amp, all sent over from UK in a balikbayan box.

• Like 3