Has Anyone flown on Korean Air recently?

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted

I  w ill be flying to the Philippines in August and I hope for a pleasant experience with Korean Air.I got a decent price on the tickets flying from the US. / NC. to Manila - 25 hrs travel time.Just going with economy to get the feel of this since I have never flown on a Jet at all.I chose Korean Air because they were the same carrier for all the flights and no stops in Hong Kong lol.Really I am expecting a pretty basic comfort and service.But if you have any experience with Korean air , your comments would be appreciated....  :cheersty:     

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

I flew them several years ago from Atlanta to Korea to Philippines in Coach.  Seats then were comfortable and the service was very good.  I did get the sense I was a second class citizen to the Korean flight attendants in relation to the Koreans on board, especially Korean men, but again, good overall.  Best treatment I’ve had overall in an Asian carrier from US to RP was in EVA, but I’m not sure they even fly or originate  beyond US west coast.  Was I a 747 and the arrogant Chinese businessman man :7481:was all over me with his Big ass newspaper....attendant saw this and said come with me (Oh yes!...I wish! :6:   But she did take me to the upstairs deck with more room and Great service.   :dance:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I flew with them 2 years ago because they occasionally have great price specials.  Similar to any other cheap flight. As the post above me says, I also got the sense of being a second class citizen but I expected it because I was in the cheap seats.  I was not thrilled but the price was right.

• Like 4

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Ice, I flew Korean Air 2 weeks ago, and to be honest with you I was a bit disappointed. Not long ago if I flew them it was a 1st class experience. But now it's more like flying an American airline where the only time you even get a smile is when you are getting off the plane. The flight is ok, but the aircraft are older models with small seats. I had 1 stop and 1 3 hour delay. Good luck with your flight. John

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ice Patrol said:

.I chose Korean Air because they were the same carrier for all the flights

I could be wrong but I doubt that Korean Air flies into North Carolina.  If the flight number is 4 digits, something like KE 2384 that is probably a codeshare flight with a U.S. airline partner.  No worries but you should be aware when you go to the airport.

You are near Atlanta and Delta is a big codeshare partner with Korean, so I would bet you will be on 1 or 2 Delta flights.  American Air is also a partner.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would say it's better than a US airline, nothing special. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Ice Patrol said:

I got a decent price on the tickets

So this means you have already bought and paid for non-refundable tickets?  If so then finding out what Korean Air is like, now, will be unlikely to change your flying experience.

If you have an opportunity to change your mind, did you use the Google Matrix cheap flight finder?  I got a reasonable fare for this coming Sept, using their system.  Well I think it is reasonable as it is close to the same as I paid 2 years ago,

A quick scan of their system shows me you can get a 30 day round trip, (NC to Manila rtn), using Delta/Korean Air for just under $1,000 on certain days in August.  I am curious if you managed to beat the system or if that is about what you paid.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I always try to fly Korean Air. I love the airport in Seoul, and the service has always been good.  Even some of the little things, like the free slippers and toothbrush for the flight.  Free showers at Incheon is nice too.  I have always found them very attentive, and free booze in economy seats ain't bad either!  On my last flight me and the guy across the aisle had them going back & forth for more wine, I thought they would just leave the bottle ha ha :tiphat: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KC813
Posted
Posted

ICE--

Delta and Korean are Skyteam alliance partners, joint-venture partners and have a ton of flights with both KE and DL flight numbers.  As OMW noted, your first domestic flight is probably on Delta, the flight US-ICN can be either DL or Korean and then ICN-MNL will be on KE.  Your reservation will show the ‘operating carrier’ for each flight.

Whether your flight to ICN is on DL or KE metal, both use Incheon’s new Terminal 2 and make for a very easy connection.  Don’t forget Tim’s ‘free shower room’ tip!

KE’s service and legroom in coach is considered slightly above average.  But on any airline you can have good experiences and bad.  Different crews, different circumstances ... .   

All KE’s long haul and regional craft have seatback video systems, but always a good idea to bring some backup entertainment should the AVOD system crash.  Also, Westerners often complain the KE cabin is kept too warm, so may want to dress lightly or with removable layers!

The biggest downside for many on KE is no advance seat assignments.   If you prefer an aisle seat to get up frequently, the usual trick is to get to the check in counter right as it opens for your flight to have the best seat selection options.  That works if your first flight in on KE, but I’m not sure how seats on KE are assigned if you are starting the trip on a DL domestic flight.   (If your reservation already shows a seat assigned for you on the US-ICN flight, the you’re on a DL aircraft and can change your seats on delta.com). 

And finally, many consider it a ‘right of passage’ on a first KE transpacific flight to select the Bibimbap for your dinner meal!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, KC813 said:

The biggest downside for many on KE is no advance seat assignments.

Really?!!!  I find that unbelievable in this day and age, and I would not give them my money without knowing my seat.

• Like 1