Why are Filipinos such bad drivers?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I should have explained it a bit more betterer, apart from reading in other posts about not giving them a blast on the horn, especially tricycles who do get very upset, I had a passenger with me who berated me for using the long blast, but I said to him that you really have to wake them up and let them know you are passing them because mirrors fitted on their cars are just there for show, no one uses them.

Yesterday I was driving with L somewhere and some big-ass SUV was just finishing passing me before his lane ended then started to slide over into our lane before being clearly ahead of us. I hit the breaks and veered a bit and gave him a long blast. He then jerked back away and accelerated to get clear. As one more just stated, he obviously had no idea I was there and the blast "woke him up." I tap lightly often when passing and reserve the long blast for imminent collisions.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Tommy, I give the long blast when I am overtaking them every time because you just don't know what they are going to do, they really don't like being overtaken. 

But let me say again, this is out in the province where brains and common sense are not given out at birth.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Tommy, I give the long blast when I am overtaking them every time because you just don't know what they are going to do, they really don't like being overtaken. 

Yeah, I hear you. Sometimes when driving on the highway to Mati, I will come up behind someone who pokes along until I try to pass, then they speed up. Or they poke through the corners then gun it on the straightaways when I try to pass.

But in all fairness, I used to see this often in USA too. I used cruise control all the time there and would be maintaining speed and would go to pass someone and they would speed up. So what I sometimes do is loaf along behind them and then, when going to pass, I  accelerate more than usual and they don't keep up. My favourite is when there are two lanes and there is one vehicle in each lane and they seem to pace each other with neither overtaking - and this can go on for miles. Some people just don't get it. But I am much more patient now here than before. My and L's lives are much more important than how fast we get somewhere...

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yes, I am learning as well, when overtaking use as much of the road out wide that is there.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Gary D said:

They don't understand roundabouts full stop. It seems that the traffic entering the roundabout has right if way not the traffic on the roundabout.

Yes...I know.  But, I'm talking about the simple matter of going around the roundabout anti-clockwise rather than clockwise!