Dumaguete waste disgrace

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I'm bald too jack. That's why I said fellow bald headed friend. I think you are taking things too personally. I don't hate Britts. I just think they are a little off. Maybe Megan can straighten you guys out.:facepalm_80_anim_gif: 

Your new leaf didn't last long AZ!  :whistling:

• Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Jack and Arizona kid it’s like reading a Alf  Garnett show, a laugh a minute, thank you for brightening my day.:hystery:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Jack and Arizona kid it’s like reading a Alf  Garnett show, a laugh a minute, thank you for brightening my day.:hystery:

More like "The Odd Couple" if you ask me!

Only joking guys! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Well if the man can't understand Monty Python, Alf garnett will go straight over is ED But..........:whatever:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, hk blues said:

More like "The Odd Couple" if you ask me!

Only joking guys! :thumbsup:

Well that might be understood BUT he will be Felix :whistling: why? easy  felix had no sense of Humour 

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Not that familiar with Monty but loved the Benny Hill show.:dance: 

I consider Benny Hill more British vaudeville, slapstick humour; the early days.  Monty Hill established, defined and refined British nonsensical humour as known today in my opinion. :thumbsup: 

Both great entertainment!

Edited by Hobbit112

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So an update on this and my apologies for the Digressions ( albeit amusing to many I read) there has been 4 cases of Dengue that seem to have been connected to the Dumpsite due to Stagnant water and mosquito breeding ( Kids love to search this Site with Parents that do) the Area is now infested with Rats and other Vermin ( only to be expected) I heard from a neighbour who works close by to the Dump site that they Spray some sort of liquid daily but I know not what it is. All in all it now transpires that they will not close the Dumpsite until the new one is ready :whatever: Apparently it is in Ecoville on the main Road waiting for another Disaster to happen no doubt But...............:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Full story to date;

DUMAGUETE CITY – Because of stringent Department of Environment and Natural Resources technical requirements, the final closure of the Candau-ay dumpsite may be delayed until the 3rd quarter of this year.

Nevertheless, the Technical Working Group assigned to come up with a safe closure and rehabilitation plan of the Candau-ay dumpsite secured the approval of Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo and soon the members of the City Council, who must affix their signatures in concurrence, prior to the plan’s submission to the DENR for review, approval and implementation.

The situation of the more than 50-year old dumpsite has caused alarm even among local government officials due to the overflowing garbage that poses danger to health and well-being of the residents. Records in 2017 show that from January to December a total of 12, 804 trips of garbage trucks dumped some 65, 620 cubic meters of wastes from government, private establishments and schools were dumped in Candau-ay except those from private hospitals and clinics that are considered pathogenic, toxic and hazardous.

Fifty seven percent (57%) of the wastes are biodegradable while 43% are non-biodegradable produced by the 28, 000 households in the city’s 30 barangays. It is estimated that the city with a day time population of nearly 400, 000 produces 80 tons of garbage per day.

As presented by the TWG, which was created by Mayor Remollo, the physical closure of the open dumpsite involves containing the 2.3 hectare that has been operating since 1965 by building a concrete perimeter fence.

The side slope shall be designed and maintained to prevent erosion, a final soil cover will support growth of vegetation. In order to prevent run off water into the sire, perimeter drainage will also be installed. A collection system for leachate-contaminated groundwater will be constructed. The city will also build monitoring wells, lighting, guard house, signage and gas vents.

The TWG composed of experts in engineering and science noted that the city government was issued a final notice to close the dump site on January 26, 2010 by the DENR; the agency even issued authority to close the dumpsite on December 1, 2010 pursuant to the previous administration’s own closure plan but no closure activities were done; thus a Closure Order was again issued on April 16, 2012.

Finally, Mayor Remollo appealed to the DENR to give the city another chance to comply with the closure order. He noted that after several closure notices his administration is committed not only to close the dumpsite but also to rehabilitate the same and build a sanitary landfill.

Source; Dumaguete daily Paper

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

I consider Benny Hill more British vaudeville, slapstick humour; the early days.  Monty Hill established, defined and refined British nonsensical humour as known today in my opinion. :thumbsup: 

Both great entertainment!

Who is this Monty Hill you speak of?

• Haha 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Full story to date;

DUMAGUETE CITY – Because of stringent Department of Environment and Natural Resources technical requirements, the final closure of the Candau-ay dumpsite may be delayed until the 3rd quarter of this year.

Nevertheless, the Technical Working Group assigned to come up with a safe closure and rehabilitation plan of the Candau-ay dumpsite secured the approval of Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo and soon the members of the City Council, who must affix their signatures in concurrence, prior to the plan’s submission to the DENR for review, approval and implementation.

The situation of the more than 50-year old dumpsite has caused alarm even among local government officials due to the overflowing garbage that poses danger to health and well-being of the residents. Records in 2017 show that from January to December a total of 12, 804 trips of garbage trucks dumped some 65, 620 cubic meters of wastes from government, private establishments and schools were dumped in Candau-ay except those from private hospitals and clinics that are considered pathogenic, toxic and hazardous.

Fifty seven percent (57%) of the wastes are biodegradable while 43% are non-biodegradable produced by the 28, 000 households in the city’s 30 barangays. It is estimated that the city with a day time population of nearly 400, 000 produces 80 tons of garbage per day.

As presented by the TWG, which was created by Mayor Remollo, the physical closure of the open dumpsite involves containing the 2.3 hectare that has been operating since 1965 by building a concrete perimeter fence.

The side slope shall be designed and maintained to prevent erosion, a final soil cover will support growth of vegetation. In order to prevent run off water into the sire, perimeter drainage will also be installed. A collection system for leachate-contaminated groundwater will be constructed. The city will also build monitoring wells, lighting, guard house, signage and gas vents.

The TWG composed of experts in engineering and science noted that the city government was issued a final notice to close the dump site on January 26, 2010 by the DENR; the agency even issued authority to close the dumpsite on December 1, 2010 pursuant to the previous administration’s own closure plan but no closure activities were done; thus a Closure Order was again issued on April 16, 2012.

Finally, Mayor Remollo appealed to the DENR to give the city another chance to comply with the closure order. He noted that after several closure notices his administration is committed not only to close the dumpsite but also to rehabilitate the same and build a sanitary landfill.

Source; Dumaguete daily Paper

I know this is the Philippines and although I am a resident and not a citizen, I cannot help to wonder why this landfill issue like many others cannot easily be resolved with a little planning.  There has been enough research and examples from around the world with very little extra effort this could be managed with much better results.  I hope the new landfill could benefit from the wrong decisions and management of the current one.  Just one example is where landfills when full are covered over and turned into public parks.  I have seen and visited several of these and when complete, a person would never know the site was previously a dump/landfill.
Good luck to you Jack and all the residents effected there.