More changes may be on the way for a tourist visa.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hmm, shall we start with this forum?

Yep fly off on the 15th. Someone goes there and that will include my girlfriend. :tiphat:

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hmm, shall we start with this forum?

I don't know, but I read it that Tom meant the consequence of the ban was that nobody could go to Taiwan.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't know, but I read it that Tom meant the consequence of the ban was that nobody could go to Taiwan.

I think he was referring to Chinese.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I agree, it seems that China will not let their people Go or maybe the Taiwanese won't or Can't issue a Visa to them. Either Way  I tend to think it is only China But..............................:whatever: I have read nothing concerning this anywhere except what Tom has said :thumbsup:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Sorry, I wasn't explicit enough - I meant nobody in China could now go to Taiwan rather than Dave's interpretation that nobody goes to Taiwan anyway.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It's China's mo to flood a country with their citizens so they are likely completely aware of even encouraging it. Just look at Tibet as an example.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Sorry, I wasn't explicit enough - I meant nobody in China could now go to Taiwan rather than Dave's interpretation that nobody goes to Taiwan anyway.

It is not a complete ban, just a ban on "solo" travelers.  Groups, tours, business people, etc seem to be okay.  I think that China sees individuals as potential trouble makers.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/31/asia/china-taiwan-tourist-visa-intl-hnk/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN)The Chinese government announced Wednesday that it will suspend a program allowing solo tourists from 47 cities to visit Taiwan, amid rising cross-strait tensions.

In a statement, China's Ministry of Culture and Tourism said the travel ban would come into force on August 1, effectively banning all individual leisure travel from mainland China to Taiwan.
Business travelers and tour groups will still be able to visit Taiwan from mainland China.
The individual visit program was piloted in June 2011 in three cities -- Beijing, Shanghai and Xiamen -- before being expanded to residents of 47 cities to encourage closer ties between Taiwan and the mainland.
However, in recent months, Taipei and Beijing have clashed over issues including a $2.2 billion US arms sales to Taiwan, the Hong Kong pro-democracy protests and a visit by Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen to New York.

Taiwan president gives first international network interview 07:11
Taiwan and mainland China have been separately governed since the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949, but Beijing has never stopped viewing the island as an integral part of its territory.
Under President Tsai, the island has pushed back against Beijing on a range of fronts and the Taiwan leader has made her tougher line on cross-strait relations a major issue in her bid for re-election next year.
Tsai has been a strong supporter of Hong Kong's pro-democracy protesters and denounced "overseas forces" during her unusually-long, four-night visit to the US in July. "Taiwan will firmly defend our democratic system. Our democracy has not come easily," she said.
For its part, Beijing has pursued a harder line against Tsai in the past two years, holding live-fire drills off Taiwan's coast and warning it could use force to "reunify" the island with the mainland.
In a military policy paper on July 24, the Chinese government said Tsai and her government were a threat to national security and social stability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Sorry if I was not clear... Yes, JGF, you are right - that is only Chinese will not be permitted to travel to Taiwan.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry if I was not clear... Yes, JGF, you are right - that is only Chinese will not be permitted to travel to Taiwan.

I'd imagine even the all-powerful Chinese government would have a tough job stopping other nationalities visiting Taiwan!

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Back on topic....if this change is passed then surely it would have repercussions on long stayers here doing their 36 month exit. Having to apply for a visa before re entry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1