More changes may be on the way for a tourist visa.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Because I'm going through the 13A visa process, I'm checking the BI website .PDF lists of new grantees. If anyone is interested, the first of this month's lists on the "VISA APPLICATION STATUS ( Agenda Verification 2019 )" page is at least anecdotal to what Gary D. is saying. Just do a quick in-page search (F3 for Windows) and count the applicants with CHN  origin. So, even legally, the Chinese appear to be flooding in.

I agree. Here is the list put out by BI of the top 10 countries during the annual reporting period.  Lot of Chinese here.  They own some great shops, though :tiphat: 

Top 10 reporting nationalities:

56,015 Chinese

26,533 Indians

10,566 Americans

8,557 Taiwanese

8,157 South Koreans

Japan

Indonesia

United Kingdom

Vietnam

Germany.

total of 148,387 aliens

the bulk of the reportees, totaling 59,339 aliens, are holders of working visas.

Others who topped the list of registrants were foreign students, native-born foreigners, and those who married to Philippine citizens.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think I will report it to FB.

I doubt if they are interested in a philstar comment :thumbsup:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Because I'm going through the 13A visa process, I'm checking the BI website .PDF lists of new grantees. If anyone is interested, the first of this month's lists on the "VISA APPLICATION STATUS ( Agenda Verification 2019 )" page is at least anecdotal to what Gary D. is saying. Just do a quick in-page search (F3 for Windows) and count the applicants with CHN  origin. So, even legally, the Chinese appear to be flooding in.

I finalised my 13a last year and while looking at the agenda, I notice that the list of Chinese applications were many thousands a month. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I finalised my 13a last year and while looking at the agenda, I notice that the list of Chinese applications were many thousands a month. 

If the Chinese are hoovering them up at that rate there won't be any left for the western expats.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'll put my tin hat on and throw this one in -

Would it be fair to say the Chinese coming in are doing more to develop the country than the rest of us who are simple enjoying the relaxed lifestyle?  I mean, they are opening businesses etc etc - this is undoubtedly mutually beneficial even if the benefit is skewed towards the Chinese side.

Unpopular perspective perhaps, but reasonable?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I mean, they are opening businesses etc etc

How are they doing it legally? Are they paying taxes? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'll put my tin hat on and throw this one in -

Would it be fair to say the Chinese coming in are doing more to develop the country than the rest of us who are simple enjoying the relaxed lifestyle?  I mean, they are opening businesses etc etc - this is undoubtedly mutually beneficial even if the benefit is skewed towards the Chinese side.

Unpopular perspective perhaps, but reasonable?

From what I have read, many of them are illegally working and if they open a business, most likely it is illegal too.  The thousands of 13a s is a worry as it is so easy to exploit a woman here for the benefits that come with 13a.

And much of the business is all linked to Chinese online gambling.  Opening a resto for the workers, etc.  Filipinos are not getting much benefit from this surge, except maybe wealthy property owners and corrupt officials.

And with all this comes more corruption in the Phillipines.  You and I both know that huge amounts of money are changing hands.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

From what I have read, many of them are illegally working and if they open a business, most likely it is illegal too.  The thousands of 13a s is a worry as it is so easy to exploit a woman here for the benefits that come with 13a.

And much of the business is all linked to Chinese online gambling.  Opening a resto for the workers, etc.  Filipinos are not getting much benefit from this surge, except maybe wealthy property owners and corrupt officials.

And with all this comes more corruption in the Phillipines.  You and I both know that huge amounts of money are changing hands.

I think one problem is that when the Chinese invest they bring their own workforce, trickledown is very limited.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

How are they doing it legally? Are they paying taxes? 

Most Yes, many No I'd guess

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't disagree with your comments OMW.  That said, i do believe they are contributing to the local economies, and as for corruption, i suspect the Philippines needs no help/guidance in that respect!  

• Like 1