English Football

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I suppose it's all relative - the 2m Celtic got dwarves what my team,  Dundee, get.  And, Celtic are not paying the same wages as most EPL clubs and even some Championship clubs.  As you can probably tell, I'm not a 'Tic fan!  

Perhaps, the problem is as I described but where we draw the line may be a bit higher i.e. the EPL.  

Good point and my father was born in Dundee, small world.

Very happy Bolton have been saved, but fear it is only a matter of time before the next club goes pop.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Good point and my father was born in Dundee, small world.

Very happy Bolton have been saved, but fear it is only a matter of time before the next club goes pop.

Wasn't Peter Lorimer by any chance? :smile:

Seriously though, if and when the merry-go-round stops there will be plenty of clubs going under.  It's a miracle more haven't gone bust before now but most who go into admin. are able to walk away from their debts and start afresh.  My own club, Dundee, have done it twice so far..

hk blues
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

There isn't even any money in the premier league, not profit anyway, you have to spend everything on wages/transfer fees to stay there. My club Bournemouth are the smallest club in the league and have a 102 mil wage bill according to their last accounts, probably more like 110-120 now.

Plenty of money, but most of it credit or owed to holding companies etc etc.  

A bubble waiting to burst for many - if. for any reason, Sky are unable to continue paying the astronomical fee for rights a lot of head scratching and hand wringing will begin!  

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Wasn't Peter Lorimer by any chance? :smile:

Seriously though, if and when the merry-go-round stops there will be plenty of clubs going under.  It's a miracle more haven't gone bust before now but most who go into admin. are able to walk away from their debts and start afresh.  My own club, Dundee, have done it twice so far..

Yes Lorimer was from Dundee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lorimer

Still involved with the club, but he lost a lot of affection from the fans when he jumped into bed with Ken Bates.

Sir Eddie Gray, my all time favorite player is still involved with the club despite by sacked as manager and then again as assistant manager. His love for the club is there for everyone to see and if it wasn't for injury he would have been up there with any of the best players of his generation. 454 appearances for Leeds 52 goals and only 1 yellow card, as the great Don Revie said "Eddie could run on snow and not leave footprints". 

Given I'm half Scottish the state of Scottish football is appalling.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Yes Lorimer was from Dundee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lorimer

Still involved with the club, but he lost a lot of affection from the fans when he jumped into bed with Ken Bates.

Sir Eddie Gray, my all time favorite player is still involved with the club despite by sacked as manager and then again as assistant manager. His love for the club is there for everyone to see and if it wasn't for injury he would have been up there with any of the best players of his generation. 454 appearances for Leeds 52 goals and only 1 yellow card, as the great Don Revie said "Eddie could run on snow and not leave footprints". 

Given I'm half Scottish the state of Scottish football is appalling.  

Let's be honest here. The most exciting things about soccer are the brawls that normally and usually break out between the fans. Much more entertaining than the match itself.:laugh:

• Like 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Let's be honest here. The most exciting things about soccer are the brawls that normally and usually break out between the fans. Much more entertaining than the match itself.:laugh:

Each to their own, but I and 3.5B others enjoy it:

https://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/popular-sport/fans.htm

There is little trouble these days, over the years I have seen some scenes I can tell you.........................

Edit: I guess we all love the sports we were brought up with, I watched the superbowl whilst visiting family in the USVI. The most boring sport I have ever seen, but I would no doubt have a different view if I had been brought up with it. 

Edited by LUFCinMakati
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Each to their own, but I and 3.5B others enjoy it:

https://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/popular-sport/fans.htm

There is little trouble these days, over the years I have seen some scenes I can tell you.........................

Edit: I guess we all love the sports we were brought up with, I watched the superbowl whilst visiting family in the USVI. The most boring sport I have ever seen, but I would no doubt have a different view if I had been brought up with it. 

I see merican football and basketball came last, no surprises there then :thumbsup:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

AK - you are a closet football (note - FOOTBALL) fan really, aren't you?  

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The most boring sport I have ever seen, but I would no doubt have a different view if I had been brought up with it. 

I doubt it

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

AK - you are a closet football (note - FOOTBALL) fan really, aren't you?  

These Southern Canadian sports................ 

• Haha 1