Sick while on Vacation in the Philipines

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Two years ago I met a fellow Kano who knew enough to not drink the tap water but he was using tap water for tooth brushing and in his WaterPik! Of course he was not feeling well. I set him straight. Do you need a similar course correction?

Edited by Guy F.

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

Glad you are better, so the total for the stay in hospital plus medicine was 4000 dollars, sounds like so much money but our health comes first.

Thankyou Steve....and the total of my Philippines hospital visit was $650.00 Usd.Our good health is probably our greatest asset .

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Two years ago I met a fellow Kano who knew enough to not drink the tap water but he was using tap water for tooth brushing

I use tap water here for brushing but I am careful not to swallow and I always use antibacterial mouth wash right after brushing.

Haven't had a problem doing that so far.

• Like 3

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Old55 said:

Good to hear you recovered fully and did not ruin your visit. 

Without sharing personal information I would be curious to learn how Medicare deals with those bills. 

Medicare does not cover outside the USA but some of the supplemental healthcare policies associated with medicare will cover hospital cost in other countries.My policy has me covered up to $50000.00 USD max. with a $250.00 deductible outside the US.I have sent in my claim so I should hear from them soon   :fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

Medicare does not cover outside the USA but some of the supplemental healthcare policies associated with medicare will cover hospital cost in other countries.My policy has me covered up to $50000.00 USD max. with a $250.00 deductible outside the US.I have sent in my claim so I should hear from them soon   :fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

Thank you for that.:tiphat:

What supplemental policies should one be looking for to cover or help cover living or visiting Philippines?

Edited by Old55
Clarification

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Perhaps next time you will have travel insurance. :thumbsup:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Guy F. said:

but he was using tap water for tooth brushing and in his WaterPik! Of course he was not feeling well. I set him straight. Do you need a similar course correction?

This could also be dependent on where one is.

Here in Cebu city I brush my teeth with tap water and no problem. For all the times I visited I did the same and as far as I know never had a problem but like I say it will depend where you are.

Often I hear dont have ice in drinks but this might be so for some places but not entirely true for others. 

Now back to the OP. Normally illness from water will cause more than just vomiting so might be more to it. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Thank you for that.:tiphat:

What supplemental policies should one be looking for to cover or help cover living or visiting Philippines?

You must first have a medicare policty in order to get the supplemental / medigap health ins. policy.Medicare covers 80% and the medigap policy covers the other 20%.My policies cover doctor visits,hospitalizations ,prescription drugs- but not dental or vision.to find out all the details about Medicare and all the various medigap policies available visit    Medicare.gov   :thumbsup:

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Perhaps next time you will have travel insurance. :thumbsup:

I will look into that for sure....Thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

You must first have a medicare policty in order to get the supplemental / medigap health ins. policy.Medicare covers 80% and the medigap policy covers the other 20%.My policies cover doctor visits,hospitalizations ,prescription drugs- but not dental or vision.to find out all the details about Medicare and all the various medigap policies available visit    Medicare.gov   :thumbsup:

I didn't mean to put you on the spot and appreciate your comments.

At age 65 I am signed up for Medicare but am still working. I've been studying add-on plans that would cover visiting or living in Philippines.

• Like 1