Can the Filipino smell spare cash

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 11/5/2019 at 7:20 AM, Tommy T. said:

I believe that is true. I find that financial affairs here seem to be very public. L's family ask me - how much did you pay for your house? Answer..."I forget." They look at me and then accept that I won't divulge. How much for your car? "I forget..." It is a sort of nice way to say, "None of your business..." I asked L about this and she agreed that it is a good way to deflect the inquiries. So far, only one of her siblings has hinted that he wanted something from me and I think I said no in a nice way without actually saying no.

I have seen this behaviour across the Pacific in many countries. It goes back, I think, to the idea that so many here have no concept of "tomorrow." Only today. Give someone P10,000 one day and they feel like they are a millionaire - until it is all spent.

As many here have already stated... If you give someone a "loan," consider it to be a gift. You will most times not be repaid. A rule of thumb I adopted many years ago is to not mix relationships (family, friends) with money. It often results in bad feelings at best...

When people ask me how much I paid for something nowadays I always say "too much" That usually amuses them to the point that that don't have to tell me that I paid too much.:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

When people ask me how much I paid for something nowadays I always say "too much" That usually amuses them to the point that that don't have to tell me that I paid too much.:hystery:

Yes...I have 2 stock answers to such questions - How much do you earn - not enough.  How much did you pay - too much.  It's fun to switch them around too!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well it’s still on going and Emma is getting stressed out with me and her sister and I am like a dog with bone I am not backing down , have you been in touch with your sister, has she sent the money to your dad yet , it’s a twice daily routine now from me.

You said it was being returned last Saturday and now it’s days later, the 1st reason it was not sent, the shop was closed , the 2nd was the lazy husband has a part time job and he could not make it to the shop to send the cash, 3rd   It’s been sent but could not make contact with the person who is supposed to have received it, 4th no contact .

Well I will ask again in a few hours time where is the money , Woof Woof Woof

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Well it’s still on going and Emma is getting stressed out with me and her sister and I am like a dog with bone I am not backing down , have you been in touch with your sister, has she sent the money to your dad yet , it’s a twice daily routine now from me.

You said it was being returned last Saturday and now it’s days later, the 1st reason it was not sent, the shop was closed , the 2nd was the lazy husband has a part time job and he could not make it to the shop to send the cash, 3rd   It’s been sent but could not make contact with the person who is supposed to have received it, 4th no contact .

Well I will ask again in a few hours time where is the money , Woof Woof Woof

Good luck...... Write it off, and then you have a reason not to do it again 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not a chance of writing this amount off and I will make sure it will never happen again, still have a few more days before I get involved in asking , I understand what many will be thinking and I have said before to others about walking away from things , she was asked to help and was promised it would be paid back ,they knew I would have said no, but they used the guilt trip on her sister without my knowledge  and Emma thought it would all work out fine  and if I did not know then there is no harm, send me some blessings to help get this back

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Like the rest of us, you married a FAMILY Steve.  :unsure:

Relationship management is something we all have to learn to live with. 

I do not lend money to anyone.  End of story.

Granted, as a Yorkshireman that's pretty much instinctive anyway. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mick
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, graham59 said:

Like the rest of us, you married a FAMILY Steve.  :unsure:

Relationship management is something we all have to learn to live with. 

I do not lend money to anyone.  End of story.

Granted, as a Yorkshireman that's pretty much instinctive anyway. :biggrin:

Same here. Yorkshireman through and through. Will help if it's a real emergency, and I don't see them spending beyond there means, but the family know I wont lend money, in fact 50% of the family have fallen out with us for that reason, (long story) suits us fine, no drama, less unexpected feeding call byes, and birthday visits. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 11/20/2019 at 4:58 AM, stevewool said:

Not a chance of writing this amount off and I will make sure it will never happen again, still have a few more days before I get involved in asking , I understand what many will be thinking and I have said before to others about walking away from things , she was asked to help and was promised it would be paid back ,they knew I would have said no, but they used the guilt trip on her sister without my knowledge  and Emma thought it would all work out fine  and if I did not know then there is no harm, send me some blessings to help get this back

Be the only one who has access to funds so this situation will never occur again. You’ve shared it’s happened before on a regular basis. If you don’t stop it now what’s the end game?

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Luckily I am in control of all the money that we have both earned over the years , yes Ems can get it anytime she wants but I know how much is in the accounts plus I pay all the bills, the money that Emma sent over was what she earned in France which is the money that is going to complete the house over in the Philippines, so if the money is not returned the house is not finished it’s that simple , plus if the house is not going to be finished then there is no need for me to go to the Philippines, I did explain all this to Emma once I found out about the money and she is getting stressed i know she is messaging the sister but all she seems to be getting is they will do it tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Hmm thinking 1