Getting around by car

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

I much prefer driving myself around rather than use taxis or buses. You do need to have developed a good knack of defensive driving and be totally aware of whats going on around you, not just in front, but behind and what is trying to sneak up alongside you. I find that generally Filipino drivers and riders are totally transfixed on what is ahead of them. They have no idea of what is behind or to side of them, especially when they are joining a road. They also have no idea what the accepted rules of the road are, so you really need your eyes on swivels to avoid being run into by drivers who, by their lack of observation and road sense, are an accident waiting to happen! Having said that, I find I have gotten used to the Filipino way of driving over the last five years, so it has become second nature. The only place I think I would try and avoid driving is Manila. I also try and avoid driving at night. There are just too many unlit obstacles, vehicles with defective or no lighting, animals, pedestrians etc wanderind around in the middle of the road. 

As for navigation, I find a combination of Google Maps and Waze is very good. There must be a reason that taxi drivers use Waze as a matter of course. Waze works especially well in urban areas, and the cell coverage is generally good also. For rural areas, where Waze might not have such good coverage, then Google Maps generally works well. 

I have found that the Cell reception on both my iPhone and my wifes Samsung are not nearly as good as my Smart pocket wi-fi, so we just link to that. Also the wi-fi has an external aerial socket so I can put a magnetic mount external aerial on the roof and that certainly improves signal reception, espcially in rural areas. And as my wi-fi plan is unlimited data it doesn't cost any extra run. I also use it to tune into my favourite world wide radio stations using the Tune-in app to listen to something decent on the radio while driving. There is only so much Win (Wynn?) Radio I can handle!!

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, graham59 said:

I spend my money as I wish thanks, based upon my judgement and my budget, and do not seek to tell others how to spend theirs.

I have already experienced sending my two Filipino stepchildren, plus my own UK-born son to both public and private schools in the Philippines, over a number of years, as well as in the UK.  I have also placed a great deal of value on educating them at home as much as possible. 

Perhaps that is why they all have very good British degrees now, and have been very successful in their careers to date. 

It is actually very difficult to compare schools, as (the generally LOW) standards vary so greatly between individual educational establishments here.

My comment was meant to be taken in jest. Sorry you took it personally.:6: