PAL flight looses Starboard engine on take off

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Rayj said:

It comforts me that I may die from a crash, but at least I won’t get eaten by sharks while I’m drowning! 

In most cases of 'water landings' there is an excellent chance that plane will break up or sink before you can exit... 

so you'd probably be eating by small fish much later after the debris settles on the bottom of the ocean :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You mean 750 mph, Jim? So almost the speed of sound for a commercial jet even on multiple engines? Are you sure about that?

12 hours ago, jimeve said:

Dave's comment... What does "2 hours flying time" mean in terms of distance?

I said......Approximately 1500 miles but one engine who knows.  Yes i am sure.  Tommy. But at lower altitude probably be much less.

Mr. Google say that the cruising speed with both engines is 560 mph and a maximum speed of 590.  If the plane loses an engine the thrust is reduced by half and the plane must drop to a lower altitude in order to maintain lift.  I was not able to find what the speed would be for a single engine, but as Dave mentioned earlier, the 777 can fly a minimum of 5 1/2 hours on a single engine provided it has the fuel.  Since it can fly and land with a single engine, I would think the only limiting factor on distance would be fuel, not time in the air on a single engine.  

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Mr. Google say that the cruising speed with both engines is 560 mph and a maximum speed of 590.  If the plane loses an engine the thrust is reduced by half and the plane must drop to a lower altitude in order to maintain lift.  I was not able to find what the speed would be for a single engine, but as Dave mentioned earlier, the 777 can fly a minimum of 5 1/2 hours on a single engine provided it has the fuel.  Since it can fly and land with a single engine, I would think the only limiting factor on distance would be fuel, not time in the air on a single engine.  

That's what I thought. Last time flying, the seat back entertainment showed flight speed never exceeding about what you quote except if getting a good jet stream boost. Other than fighter jets and the Concorde, I didn't think anything flew so close to the speed of sound. Small point, but I was just curious...thanks, Mike.

Kuya Google also mentioned that, when flying on one engine, the crew must keep constant rudder pressure to counteract the strong yaw introduced by the offset engine thrust. That slows the aircraft down with considerable drag - at least that's what he says and that sounds right to me.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Kuya Google also mentioned that, when flying on one engine, the crew must keep constant rudder pressure to counteract the strong yaw introduced by the offset engine thrust. That slows the aircraft down with considerable drag - at least that's what he says and that sounds right to me.

That effect can be very significant... I never flew jets but light twins (with props) sometimes have power limits when flying on one engine.  

On some types the power has to be set below full with one engine out because the rudder isn't sufficient to counteract the yaw effect from the single engine out to the side.  

The only exception to the twin engine yaw effect that I'm aware of is the Cessna 336/337 series of center line thrust twins...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I also googled Mr google and there was different answers. from what you said 560 and 590, mach 0.80 Also depends if in the 777 flies in a jet stream or against the wind and what altitude. I already stated that I dont know what speed a 777 is flying with one engine.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Rayj said:

Not my wife. When we hit turbulence that makes me turn white, I look over to see my wife laughing!  

The day I discovered flight paths by earth mapping, was the day I was set at ease of flying to the Philippines. I saw the flight path over land mostly all the way from New York. It comforts me that I may die from a crash, but at least I won’t get eaten by sharks while I’m drowning! 

There's a fascinating history topic related to this, for anyone interested in old airplanes.  In the 'Clipper' days of early air travel across water, they could only use flying boats because of the very real fear of not reaching (or not being able to find) the landing strip.  Juan Trippe of PanAm fame was the real visionary trailblazer, along with Howard Hughes after he acquired TWA.  Imagine heading West into the pacific in a 4-engined propeller plane, looking for a tiny speck of an island after flying for 18-20 hours.  Using their primitive radios and direction-finding, wow.  

• Like 4

Pinetree
Posted
Posted
On 11/23/2019 at 5:40 AM, Mike J said:

Flights over the ocean seldom follow the shortest path.  They usually curve to stay within a certain range of the shoreline to allow for an unplanned landing.   For LAX to MNL there would be quite a few places to land.  San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Anchorage, Japan, Korea, etc.

image.png

sorry to disagree, but the curved path as you put it is the shortest route because it follows the Earth's Great Circle.  Maps don't do justice to aircraft routing as they are flat, while the Earth is not.   The fact that the Earth is an 'oblate spheroid 'in shape (egg shaped pretty much)  makes great circle flying the necessary routing  for time and fuel saving. 

• Like 1

Pinetree
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

I also googled Mr google and there was different answers. from what you said 560 and 590, mach 0.80 Also depends if in the 777 flies in a jet stream or against the wind and what altitude. I already stated that I dont know what speed a 777 is flying with one engine.

still 0.84 Mach, which is the 'normal' cruse speed for the B777 at cruse altitude, anything over FL30, same as with 2 engines.  No need for the aircraft to slow down as there is an excess of thrust available. 

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

All I want to know is..will the plane crash and burn?

AK... Maybe there's good news and bad news here?

Probably the aircraft won't crash and burn... but you? Hmmmm....let's hope not!:wave:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

AK... Maybe there's good news and bad news here?

Probably the aircraft won't crash and burn... but you? Hmmmm....let's hope not!:wave:

You sound pretty condescending. Any special reason?:sad:

• Sad 1