Ok I give in , I need a car.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Gary D said:

So assuming the car was previously registered and has current third -party insurance the insurance goes with the car or must I arrange it before collection. Obviously I'll be go fully comp at the earliest opportunity.

I have known just as many foreigners to get scammed on used car sales in the Philippines as in any other scam.  So buyer beware, but that said I have done it a few times.  First you decide if you want to take the risk as to whether the owner actually owns the car and there are no liens and you are happy with it mechanically.  Then you get the owner to provide a bill of sale, notarized, and accompanied by about 4 clear copies of each of 2 pieces of his ID and he has to sign each copy about 4 times (you may think I am exagerating but if you do the transfer of registration yourself you will see its no joke).  When you have that THEN you give him the cash and drive away.

The next step is to decide if you want to transfer the registration or keep it in the original owner's name.  There are fewer problems if you leave it in the seller's name, until you want to sell it yourself.  I never buy "open deed of sale" anymore.  That is where the vehicle is still registered in the name of someone 2 or more owners back.  Those are the ones that will give you the most problems when registering.

So for me:  Check to be sure I am willing to take the risk.  Get the correct sale documents from whoever is on the existing title.  Take the paperwork to a facilitator who will do all the bureaucracy.

(Edit:  I mentioned scams so I will elaborate.  The 3 that I am familiar with are :  First, the guy takes a downpayment to "hold" the car.  He does that to many people then fecks off with the car.  Second, someone did not pay the correct tax somewhere down the road so the current owner gets stuck for it when he goes to register.  Third,  the car is a lemon.  The local backyard boys are so good at dressing up a lemon that it is often hard to tell until you have had it a couple of months.  So it is "Buyer Beware" as usual.)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Gary D said:

the insurance goes with the car or must I arrange it before collection

Yes... the insurance goes with the car.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Both of my cars are still in the original owners name and I am the second owner.  On both we have a deed of sale and the previous owners IDs with 3 signatures.

My Trailblazer was originally purchased in Manila and as I understand it, we would have to go to Manila to get the papers changed to our name, so I haven't bothered.  I think someone can do it for you.

My Brio was bought in Pampanga so when the 3 years insurance is done in December, I might consider changing the name on it.

Bought a 1994 Honda Accord years ago. Never changed the name on the title. Had the bill of sale as proof of purchase. The LTO could care less about any of that as long as you pay the yearly registration. When I bought a new car in 2016 I sold the Accord to my bro in law. He hasn't changed the title either. And guess what? Still no license plates for the Accord, or my new car. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Stupid me... When I first got here four years ago, I bought a used motorcycle repo from a dealer. The bike was and is still fine and the sale went through fine - no problems with any liens. I decided that, hey, I should change the title - like I always did when buying cars in USA. Not necessary and not a good idea...

I lost count of the number of visits I made to the insurance/paper shuffler and the number of copies of my passport, USA driver license and the number of pieces of paper I signed, always at least three times each and many copies - no carbons allowed. The dealer was very nice and accompanied me (for free) on every trip to the agent and LTO. Then I had to take the bike, itself, to the LTO main office downtown (I was on Samal Island) to have them do pencil rubbings onto plastic tape, of the frame and engine serial numbers, sign and get more copies of pieces of paper...

It took over a year before I finally received the title and I also lost track of the cost, but 100 here, 500 there 1,000 here...etc. Never again!

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I bought a used motorcycle repo from a dealer.

And they probably only knocked a couple thousand pesos off the price.  They do not sell repos cheap, just cheap enough to look like a deal.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And they probably only knocked a couple thousand pesos off the price.  They do not sell repos cheap, just cheap enough to look like a deal.

I know you're right, Dave. But at least it's turned out to be a solid bike, even if the wiring is a bit dodgy here and there (twisted together with electrical tape! ugh!).And, unlike my old Triumph, this bike doesn't leak oil!!!

When first here, I was afraid to buy used from an individual when I wasn't sure what I was doing.

Edited by Tommy T.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Bought a 1994 Honda Accord years ago. Never changed the name on the title. Had the bill of sale as proof of purchase. The LTO could care less about any of that as long as you pay the yearly registration. When I bought a new car in 2016 I sold the Accord to my bro in law. He hasn't changed the title either. And guess what? Still no license plates for the Accord, or my new car. :hystery:

Yes, similar to you, my first car here was an Avanza and I was the 3rd owner, still in original owner's name.  Sold it to my BIL, still the same.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, similar to you, my first car here was an Avanza and I was the 3rd owner, still in original owner's name.  Sold it to my BIL, still the same.

It's kinda weird here. But since my first visit in 1971 I fell in love with the place. Retired here in 2002 and love it. Maybe they can put my car plates..when they figure it out..on my gravestone, after I stop complaining about it!:no:

• Haha 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Well done the deed, bought a WildTrack. Knocked the dealer down 48k and included a years registration, it runs out in January and also included the dealer doing the change of name. The dealer quoted 31k for full comp including acts of god, would have been 26k without AOG. Does 31k sound ok for first years insurance?

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Maybe they can put my car plates..when they figure it out..on my gravestone, after I stop complaining about it!

Sorry to tell you this, AK... But when it comes time to install them they will stand over your grave, look sorrowful and say, "Sorry sir... out of stock!"

• Haha 4