Why did the snake cross the road?

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

56358386_3116275471719798_8797105616582606848_o.jpgThis is the snake I clobbered. It was it or me. first one I'v seen outside a zoo:gottarun_80_anim_gif:

Sorry that you had to kill it but I dont blame you. It can actually be very dangerous to try to kill a snake if you are not an expert. Best is usually to give them a way to "escape" but that is ofcourse not always possible. Did you find out what kind of snake it was? My "family" once killed a 13 feet long python right outside our house, they ate it up :whistling:

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
Just now, Viking said:

Sorry that you had to kill it but I dont blame you. It can actually be very dangerous to try to kill a snake if you are not an expert. Best is usually to give them a way to "escape" but that is ofcourse not always possible. Did you find out what kind of snake it was? My "family" once killed a 13 feet long python right outside our house, they ate it up :whistling:

Not sure what kind of snake it was. I was alone at night in the house apart from my two dogs. I killed it with a golf club lol. I weren't going to eat it lol

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Not sure what kind of snake it was. I was alone at night in the house apart from my two dogs. I killed it with a golf club lol. I weren't going to eat it lol

Thats not the kind of company you want, when being at home alone in the night, lol.

You should have tried it, maybe is good as "pulutan", hahahaha. They say it tastes like chicken :89:

• Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jimeve said:

It appears to be a Philippines House (or Wolf) Snake to me.

I have had them come into houses before. Gives  you a bit of a shock the first time encountered,  but  non-venomous, and will dispose of any rats and mice on your property.  :thumbsup: 

adultcommonhousesnakewolfsnakesinmydoorstep.jpg

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Viking said:

I am no expert, but looking at pictures it definitely look more like a Philippine Cobra than an Philippine Pitviper to me.

Comments from several neighbors say that it is a Philippine Cobra.  I saw a smaller one in the same area about a week ago.  Should I start running these over with the car when I see them?  I'm not a fan of cobras in the neighborhood.

snake1.jpg

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Comments from several neighbors say that it is a Philippine Cobra.  I saw a smaller one in the same area about a week ago.  Should I start running these over with the car when I see them?  I'm not a fan of cobras in the neighborhood.

snake1.jpg

I agree with that conclusion. I don´t think you should them over, if you leave them alone you will most likely not have any problem with them. Have you heard of anyone in your area having problems with them? Just talk to your family and tell them to not be curious and get close to them if they see one.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Viking said:

I agree with that conclusion. I don´t think you should them over, if you leave them alone you will most likely not have any problem with them. Have you heard of anyone in your area having problems with them? Just talk to your family and tell them to not be curious and get close to them if they see one.

No serious issues like bites, but there seems to be a lot more sightings recently.  A few neighbors posted pictures of dead ones they killed.

What I worry about is a storage area we have on our back lanai.  They could easily get in there and hide in the wooden pallets we have on the floor, to elevate the stored items.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

No serious issues like bites, but there seems to be a lot more sightings recently.  A few neighbors posted pictures of dead ones they killed.

What I worry about is a storage area we have on our back lanai.  They could easily get in there and hide in the wooden pallets we have on the floor, to elevate the stored items.

I understand how you feel about this, most people don´t want venoumus snakes around their living area. Snakes go where they can find food, best thing to do is keep  the area clean without hidingplaces for mice, rats and other similar animals. This is often more easy to say than to do, especially in a place like Philippines where trash can be found everywhere. Just remember that killing a snake is not as easy as it may look, and if you don´t kill it right away and only wound it it can get crazy and be extremly dangerous.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

I understand how you feel about this, most people don´t want venoumus snakes around their living area. Snakes go where they can find food, best thing to do is keep  the area clean without hidingplaces for mice, rats and other similar animals. This is often more easy to say than to do, especially in a place like Philippines where trash can be found everywhere. Just remember that killing a snake is not as easy as it may look, and if you don´t kill it right away and only wound it it can get crazy and be extremly dangerous.

Yes, I don't know if I would ever try to kill one on my property, unless there was a dire need.  If one gets into your house, what to do?  I remember when I lived at my wife's house in Laguna, a snake was in a house and it caused a big uproar.  Some viral young lads killed it and paraded it around.

However, in the past week, I have seen two cobras in the road, in a populated area.  I pulled over and took pictures.  Next time, pedal to the metal and make roadkill out of them.  I didn't realize they were cobras before.  If I see a python, that is ok.  Someone took pictures of a big python in the road at night a few months ago.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Once again, here is the handy dandy Philippine snake poster.

162_Philippine Snake Poster04-15-04.pdf

• Like 5