Power tools

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Watching the workers yesterday drilling into the concrete and chipping away at the concrete and I thought I could do with a good hammer drill and other bits and bobs once I am out here.

So are there any makes to avoid with all your experiences of living out here, or is it best to bring things from England.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Watching the workers yesterday drilling into the concrete and chipping away at the concrete and I thought I could do with a good hammer drill and other bits and bobs once I am out here.

So are there any makes to avoid with all your experiences of living out here, or is it best to bring things from England.

You can buy a good hammer drill here.  They have Bosch and DeWalt here.  Makita too, I think.  Probably made in China but hopefully well engineered.

I brought a big 110 volt Craftsman hammer drill and I wish I would have bought one here.  Why?  I borrowed a smaller Bosch hammer drill and it was much more powerful than my big one.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have seen Makita brand here, and compared back to England they are cheaper too, maybe another trip to the diy shop again, anyway it beats the routine of JOLLIBEE, I wonder when the novelty of that place will run out.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Its more fun in the Philippines 

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I brought a big 110 volt Craftsman hammer drill and I wish I would have bought one here.  Why?  I borrowed a smaller Bosch hammer drill and it was much more powerful than my big one.

And if I bought here, no need to using a voltage converter.  Not an issue for you though.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I have seen Makita brand here

And when they break down you can get counterfeit replacement parts online from China, the same place that makes the counterfeit Makita.  But they are cheap.

What makes me smile is watching the local laborers play with the power tools and take longer to do a job with the power tools than they would take with hand tools, because they are learning to use them on your money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Steve, most things are available here  albeit slightly harder to track down at times.  The major hardware stores carry a good choice of power tools but they are not much cheaper than in the UK - if they are.then. as mentioned above, they are likely counterfeit. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They have Bosch and DeWalt here.  Makita too, I think.

I agree with OMW, those are all good brands.  You may want to consider a cordless drill/screwdriver.  Mine is still going strong after six years and it beats dragging a cord around or trying to find an outlet you can reach.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have a cordless at home I use for most things especially for screwing to many screws into things.

Everything I am looking for and at is for myself to use in the future and will be kept under lock and key too.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I have a cordless at home I use for most things especially for screwing to many screws into things.

Everything I am looking for and at is for myself to use in the future and will be kept under lock and key too.

Just make sure you keep the key under lock and key too!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I brought a cordless drill be me and it's been a godsend. I also have a Black and Decker hammer drill that I brought from the UK sometime ago. Not good, drill more than three or four holes and it's about to melt.