Power tools

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I brought a Ryobi 18v nicad cordless set (drill, sawzall, small circular saw, vacuum) with me that I had for a long time.  I bought 2 new batteries when I moved.  They have since died and won't take a charge.  I have seen You Tube videos on "zapping" them so they will take a charge again, but so far, no success.  Has anybody ever zapped the NiCads to bring them back?

I have and had a 50% success rate with Ryobi.  Not the easiest thing to do and instructions vary.  Essentially you are bypassing the circuitry to get a minimal charge in the cells and then let the circuitry take over.

If you have a dead cell or cells in your pack it will not work.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I reluctantly loaned out a few tools to my workers - drills and bits mostly. At first they were so terrified of breaking or losing the foreigners tools that they babied them needlessly. Later on they realised they would not be shot for a broken bit so used them as needed. Of course only a few of the more skilled guys could use power tools. One guy I loaned a hand plane to, but he was about the only guy I would trust with a tool I valued.

This said I agree with Dave that in many cases they are faster with hand tools or falling apart power tools than your quality tools.

Edited by davewe
  • Hmm thinking 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We was looking for a hole drill, the ones that can cut out the door locks in the door, well it seems that the father in law had one , but his daughter had borrowed it a few months back and we need it, but as luck would have it, she is coming this Saturday to see Emma , so a quick phone call to her to ask to bring this drill bit with her.

Well it seems that it has gone missing, she borrowed it to her brother in law and he’s sold it,:hystery:

The look on Emma’s dad face when he found out, yes he was angry and so would I be too, I  have 2 sets of these back in England , no good over there though, so it’s putting the thinking cap on and I told the father in law, DONT LEND AGAIN 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, stevewool said:

We was looking for a hole drill, the ones that can cut out the door locks in the door,

Steve, Handyman or Ace sell kits for cutting Door Knobs and locks, no that dear either

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Steve, Handyman or Ace sell kits for cutting Door Knobs and locks, no that dear either

I am looking out of our 9th floor apartment straight at the new Handyman store, with what we have spent in there so far I should have become a member , but thanks Jack another trip into there store.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, stevewool said:

, DONT LEND AGAIN

Same message you have heard before - and may of us (including me) have learned the hard way - do not lend ANYTHING you wish to see return to you in same condition or at all... There is little respect for ownership or tools here...

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Same message you have heard before - and may of us (including me) have learned the hard way - do not lend ANYTHING you wish to see return to you in same condition or at all... There is little respect for ownership or tools here...

I can't say no, my neighbours ask me if they could lend my power tile cutter I always say yes but buy your own disk. Same as my drill buy your own drill bit.

Always had them brought back next day and in the same condition they borrowed them. Plus they gave me 100p which I declined. Salamat kaayo.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I can't say no, my neighbours ask me if they could lend my power tile cutter I always say yes but buy your own disk. Same as my drill buy your own drill bit.

Hey Jim... I am pleased that you have had good results lending your tools. I am always happy when something works out in a loan or special deal...

I have had rather poor results the few times I loaned mine. One time a guy burrowed a bolt cutter and then returned it a few days later with a huge dent in it and told me it didn't work on his stainless steel 1/2" rigging on his yacht... Not even a sorry! It was ruined...

Another time I loaned a hack saw to a guy and it came back rusty and the blade it left with was rusty and worthless when it was returned.

However, I had an Australian couple borrow some extra solar panels I had, used them to get by for a few weeks while they repaired their engine and returned the set all neatly booked together and good as new.

So... maybe the long view is to just be careful. I really tend to not lend hand tools to anyone. Mine are very high quality and they can be ruined if mistreated with rust or chemicals or rain... To me, hand tools are rather personal, so I prefer to not loan them out. Does this make me a kuripot?

• Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I am always happy when something works out in a loan or special deal...

Huh.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So... maybe the long view is to just be careful. I really tend to not lend hand tools to anyone. Mine are very high quality and they can be ruined if mistreated with rust or chemicals or rain... To me, hand tools are rather personal, so I prefer to not loan them out. Does this make me a kuripot?

Mine are made in China so not too bothered if they take a knock. Not for me to judge if you are Kuripot or not. I have to be careful not to upset my neighbors for they could turn against us.

An old saying.....It's nice to be nice... 

• Like 2