Sofas and seating furnitures

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We have leather, not pure but the standard stuff sold here. We haven't really noticed any issue with humidity but do was it every so often with a moisturising soap. Yep...sweaty but i just throw a towel over at night which us the only time i sit there.

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

We have a fabric sala set seats 7/8 adults, expensive but very comfy. Guaranteed for 10 years. 

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Viking said:

What kind do you prefer? Leather (real or imitation), fabric, wood or rattan?

I guess there is up and downsides whatever you choose, but I am interested of the opinions of those of you who have stayed there for an extended time. I want something that will last long, not being too hot, comfortable and easy to keep clean and fresh. I have experience of wood and rattan but they are not very comfortable and rattan is not so easy to keep clean either. 

Which type do you prefer and why?

We bought a sofa and love-seat from Mandaue Foam here in Davao (branches all over the country). Our cats have had their way with them and though the cushions are still fine after 5 years, they've shredded the sides. 

I dislike rattan (and wicker) and I'm not too keen on wood but my wife is making "new furniture noises" and is talking about wood with tie-on cushions. I think we may go with that this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

We have leather, not pure but the standard stuff sold here.

We have a 3 seat recliner and 2 seat recliner made of artificial leather.  It is 3.5 years old and about 1 year ago, it started cracking and peeling, especially on the foot rests.  We are thinking about getting it re-covered, if possible.

1 hour ago, jimeve said:

We have a fabric sala set seats 7/8 adults, expensive but very comfy. Guaranteed for 10 years.

Where did you buy it?

In New Zealand, we visited a house that had a big leather theater style corner group, and my wife liked it a lot, as did I.  I'm not sure where we would find one.  Wilcon Pampanga has some nice stuff.  Sometimes S&R has some good stuff.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Wilcon Pampanga has some nice stuff.  Sometimes S&R has some good stuff.

We were at Trust Hardware a couple days ago to order the wood flooring for the bedrooms. We wandered around the store out of curiosity because we had never looked around before.There's something wrong with that store - there always seem to be a dozen or more sales and cashier staff hanging around talking to each other and playing with their cell phones but rarely any customers, or maybe only one or two.

They have huge stocks of many things and they also had some furniture tucked away in an out of the way upstairs space. Some of it actually looked pretty nice but we did not linger or investigate. We will check again when it's time to furnish the house. They had a corner set of two big reclining chairs like in the panoramic movie theaters - complete with drink holders! Don't know if they were leather or plastic, but I think the price was north of P50,000 for the pair. They seem to be similar to what you described...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

They had a corner set of two big reclining chairs like in the panoramic movie theaters - complete with drink holders! Don't know if they were leather or plastic, but I think the price was north of P50,000 for the pair. They seem to be similar to what you described...

Yes, that sound like what we saw.  The one we saw was really big.  3 seats on each side and the corner, with drink holders too.    50,000 is really cheap so it can't be real leather.

At Wilcon they carry Natuzi brand real leather and they are very expensive.  I might consider them next time especially if I can get a sale price.

For our 3 and 2 seater recliners, I paid p96,000  at Victoria Mondaile for the fake leather.  Lifetime warranty on the mechanisms, but no warranty on the fake leather.  Expensive but better than anything else I could find locally at the time.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

We have a 3 seat recliner and 2 seat recliner made of artificial leather.  It is 3.5 years old and about 1 year ago, it started cracking and peeling, especially on the foot rests.  We are thinking about getting it re-covered, if possible.

Ours are now 4 years old and still showing almost no signs of age.  Admittedly, one is never used but still no cracking, the other is used daily and also no real issues.  The regularly used one was more expensive and the leather does seem better quality. To be honest,  nobody told us they weren't real leather but I'm purely going by the prices.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, that sound like what we saw.  The one we saw was really big.  3 seats on each side and the corner, with drink holders too.    50,000 is really cheap so it can't be real leather.

That store is just down the road from the apartment. If you would like, I can take a closer look at these - check the price and materials? But I do remember they were just a pair, but each was massive... Ah... I could take a photo or two also...

17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

To be honest,  nobody told us they weren't real leather but I'm purely going by the prices.  

Prices are the indicator, for sure. However you should be able to tell if something's leather because you will smell that - unmistakable.

Edited by Tommy T.

graham59
Posted
Posted

We have some rattan (with the large round mesh), with separate cushions, and uncomfortable plastic chairs for any guests...who I don't like to encourage to stay too long,  yacking, eating our food,  and messing up our place. :mocking: 

I made my own armchair...having seen the absolute crap they expect me to buy here.  Probably cost me about p500.  lol  . Comfortable, on castors, so easy to move around, and fits where I want it to. 

Ok.... no need to place orders.  :tongue:

My armchair.jpg

• Like 5

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

We bought a sofa and love-seat from Mandaue Foam here in Davao (branches all over the country). Our cats have had their way with them and though the cushions are still fine after 5 years, they've shredded the sides. 

I dislike rattan (and wicker) and I'm not too keen on wood but my wife is making "new furniture noises" and is talking about wood with tie-on cushions. I think we may go with that this time.

That's where I got mine from Mandaue foam, What's a (love seat)

• Like 1