Sofas and seating furnitures

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We have a 3 seat recliner and 2 seat recliner made of artificial leather.  It is 3.5 years old and about 1 year ago, it started cracking and peeling, especially on the foot rests.  We are thinking about getting it re-covered, if possible.

Where did you buy it?

In New Zealand, we visited a house that had a big leather theater style corner group, and my wife liked it a lot, as did I.  I'm not sure where we would find one.  Wilcon Pampanga has some nice stuff.  Sometimes S&R has some good stuff.

Mandaue foam Dumaguete. They have stores all over the country, apparently.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, jimeve said:

What's a (love seat)

It refers to two young people (a prospective couple) sitting close together in a love seat and comes from ummm 18th?  19th? century...

Think of it as a 1 and a half seat couch and you won't go far wrong.

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Saw my perfect sofa at a trade show last year.  Rattan type construction with an upholstered removable cushion - a thick one.  I would opt for leather on the cushion personally.  My butt has a real hard time on the locally made bamboo type furniture.  The new 'decorator' furniture that we have been able to find has been rather disappointing in quality, and fully upholstered things here make me worry about bugs.  

I don't have a clue why Papa San and Mama San chairs aren't available anymore. They are the most comfortable chairs I have ever sat my big fat ass on in my life! :wave:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

That store is just down the road from the apartment. If you would like, I can take a closer look at these - check the price and materials? But I do remember they were just a pair, but each was massive... Ah... I could take a photo or two also...

Prices are the indicator, for sure. However you should be able to tell if something's leather because you will smell that - unmistakable.

Not necessarily Tom, - many of the leather pieces here are not purely synthetic rather a hybrid and therefore do contain some degree of leather so may have the unmistakable smell you refer to.  Regardless, they probably spray leather odour around the store to fool us anyway!   

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not necessarily Tom, - many of the leather pieces here are not purely synthetic rather a hybrid and therefore do contain some degree of leather so may have the unmistakable smell you refer to.  Regardless, they probably spray leather odour around the store to fool us anyway!   

Yeah... I keep forgetting about how so many things are faked... Anyway, now I will go back and take another look at these chairs just to satisfy my curiosity.:smile:

Viking
Posted
Posted

Thanks alot to all for your input. As I suspected, there is no easy answer to my question. Another thing that you made me remember, reading the replies, is that it is also important to find furniture in the right size for a full-grown man :laugh:. Maybe we will find something in IKEA, scheduled to open later this year ( but it will probably be delayed as so many other things). Atleast they will have sizes that fits me.

• Like 4

gery0x
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

is that it is also important to find furniture in the right size for a full-grown man :laugh:. Maybe we will find something in IKEA, scheduled to open later this year

Yep true that!

All the stores are for Hobbit-size, hard to find a Gandalf-sized store... :tongue:

I would personally refrain from Ikea, I don't like the make and the quality of their products so much... For a small table or a cabinet yes okay, but for a decent couch or recliner seat? Nope.

• Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Yep true that!

All the stores are for Hobbit-size, hard to find a Gandalf-sized store... :tongue:

I would personally refrain from Ikea, I don't like the make and the quality of their products so much... For a small table or a cabinet yes okay, but for a decent couch or recliner seat? Nope.

Ikea is not top notch in any way, but you usually get decent quality compared to what you pay.  But we will have to wait and see what prices they will keep in Ph. Ofcoarse you need to assemble the stuff by yourself, and that alone can drive some folks crazy, hahaha. It´s ok with me though, since I am Swedish and have practically speaking, grown up with Ikea stuff around me  :biggrin:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

ikea.jpg

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, gery0x said:

Yep true that!

Perhaps, but it is well above the quality of most of the stuff you will find in most furniture stores here.  Personally, I have good experience with Ikea furniture. For example I have moved 2 x dbl wardrobes and 1 x single and 2 x 6 drw units from UK to Hong Kong and then there to here - all  are still standing with no issues.  

• Like 3