Recent Sales Bans and limitations

hk blues
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Today my wife told me that the cigarette and alcohol sales counters are now tarped over. Sales of these items were recently banned..... locally only ?  I am in Capiz on Panay Island.

I did a quick search... yes, sales are banned in MNL and Cebu according to the papers.  HK wrote something about same in Iloilo.

I was wondering how widespread this is now and if universal for the PI.  If so, how long ? Until the lock down is over in your area, perhaps.

It wasn't initiated at the start of the lock down, I know.

What is the official rational behind it if it has been stated anywhere ? 

I assume its to prevent domestic violence,  irrational behavior in times of national and local stress and possible hunger, etc..... but I have no direct access to whats been on the radio or TV Pilippino language broadcasts. My wife only says, "Not Allowed".  I usually have to slowly interrogate my wife about things to get information at dinner.  Like last night... when I discovered that she had actually bought two, instead of one, sack of rice the other day for the Big Handout that afternoon.  It seems that when her rice seller asked her why she was buying so much rice, and she told him.... he discounted the sack price from P1800 to P1500, so she bought 2 instead of 1 for the aid project.  

I suppose its become a patchwork of local banned item sales, but I don't know.

It is  in place here in Iloilo - has been since the lockdown was started here 2 weeks ago.

Why - I suppose the reasons you give, plus stopping groups of people congregating to drink, stopping people going out to buy alcohol, stopping people "wasting" their limited money on alcohol rather then essentials.

I believe it's down to local officials to decide how and when and if a lockdown is implemented.    

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

I did a quick search... yes, sales are banned in MNL and Cebu according to the papers.  HK wrote something about same in Iloilo.

Still available here in Davao, but not between the hours of, I think, 5pm to 8 am. But Tanduay stocks are becoming limited to the small bottles and few long neck. I have had L stocking up for me for the long run...

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

One of my two beer emergency stock is now gone.  Saving the other just in case. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I wonder how Mick's supply is holding up?:cheers:

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I bough 5.5 cases of SM Light from my neighbour's sari-sari store 2 weeks ago - I wasn't keen but she insisted as I was her only regular customer and she didn't really want strangers buying.  I didn't need much convincing!  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I believe Olongapo banned sales but here in Subic Bay Freeport we can still buy.  However, yesterday they said the drinking of alcohol is only allowed inside your house.  Not allowed in any public place.

Cigarettes, nothing banned here.  That seems dangerous, having everyone go cold turkey at the same time!

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The alcohol ban may have some serious impact on alcoholics - I'm not one but I can honestly say the thought of having to go a few days without  a couple of beers to relax is not pleasant.  

Some may not be able to do it easily.  

• Like 3

Mick
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I wonder how Mick's supply is holding up?:cheers:

It's holding up. And re-stocked. Still on sale here in some shops

• Love it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Ahhh.... today I happened upon a news article that explains the bans on alcohol and cigarettes. Apparently it is NOT a nationwide ban but administered by individual locations. It is mostly directed at cigarettes but does mention alcohol as quoted below...

First a quote from the article:

>In the ongoing Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) in the Philippines, there are many prohibitions and closures — office or shop work, many businesses, and public transportation have been shut, strolling around and long travel are prohibited, etc. Also among the weird bans is a liquor ban in many cities in Metro Manila and provinces, and cigarette and e-cigarette bans in some small municipalities like General Luna in Quezon province.

The main reason given is that these three products are seen to weaken our body’s immune system against the China virus infection, so these should be restricted or prohibited for the ECQ duration.<

Here is the link for the complete article. If nothing else, it is interesting to read:

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/health/medical/alcohol-tobacco-and-vapes-virus-infection-and-who-disinformation/ar-BB12ynC5?li=BBr8YXP

By the way... I just learned that alcohol sales are now banned completely in Davao. Meanwhile, we are checking today or tomorrow whether someone we know can find some in some of the local sari sari stores...

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic