Counting the final cost of this Pandemic

hk blues
Posted
Posted

For me, given that this virus may well become an annual event like seasonal flu, hay fever etc I'm not convinced it will get the airtime going forward that a one-off pandemic would.

As for changing social behaviour - let's see but given that whole swathes of the population had already shown a preference for virtual communication, I'm not holding out much hope for a big change back towards physical communication. Quite the opposite is more likely.

I suspect we'll all look back on early 2020 and be saying "Ah yes, Corina Virus, remember those strange few weeks?" and then turn our attention back to whatever is on Netflix.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I suspect we'll all look back on early 2020 and be saying "Ah yes, Corina Virus, remember those strange few weeks?" and then turn our attention back to whatever is on Netflix.

I suspect that too, But thinking about football especially EPL. My thoughts are with the frontline workers especially the NHS, running out of protective clothing, saw it on BBC NEWS. I have two grand nieces who are nurses for the NHS and know a few Filipinos who work for NHS.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

WOW I thought this topic was about hamburgers or vaccines or anything that comes to mind.  :mocking: Not directing this at you but using it to point out how easy it is to get very off topic from what I read. 

If people are enjoying the conversation..Is it that important to stay on the original topic? Maybe so but why throw a wrench into the mess?:89:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

One effect of the virus on the Philippines economy is the return of overseas workers ,my gf tells me that overseas workers that she knows are resigning and heading back home

I was planning on retirement this year , ive reluctantly decided that i need to continue working, my main reason is that im worried about my adult children being able to pay their mortgages,  im in a very secure job ,(NHS), personally i feel it would be irresponsible of me to retire , apart from not knowing how badly hit my pension pot is .

The economic effects of this virus are going to be worse than the one we experienced in the UK during the 90,s , i hear people talking about the 2008 recession, i laugh , folks especially the youngsters just dont realise how bad this pile of poo hitting the fan will be 

When house values start to crash ,then people will realise the depth of this economic armageddon, with the IMF warning us and using language such as 1930,s resession 

• Love it 1
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

If people are enjoying the conversation..Is it that important to stay on the original topic? Maybe so but why throw a wrench into the mess?:89:

Because it becomes a mess. Why have a forum if it's just a general chat? How do you get new members when they do a google search for something such as coronavirus but google shows them a topic about the best burger in town?

This is why we have the chatterbox forum to chat about anything where nothing is off topic. Search engines can not even see it so makes no difference.

What is a forum?

A forum starts with a topic, that topic is the subject of posts in the topic. Yes I know it's easy to get off topic but once it happens and everyone follows then the topic at hand is lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Because it becomes a mess

11 years 8 months and 3 days on the forum,,,,,,,,dont think its gonna change anytime soon :hystery:

• Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Kuya John said:

It would appear that it will take years to get the Worlds Eccomomies back on their feet again, unless a new Global approach starts to emerge, which I very much doubt will happen.

Just a thought.......as a new dawn approaches.

Sorry to quote myself here guy's but just watched todays version of the Andrew Marr show ( available on BBC Iplayer )

Angel Gurria Sec; General for Organisation for Econmic Co-operation and Developement made a point on what I have felt  strongly about,  with regards to the current situation and the Global  needs for co-operation, for the future structure of World economies and the need to take a Global approach towards Climate change also.

During the Show David Attenborough gave an interesting personal view about the latter too, which was recorded before social distancing BTW.

Well worth viewing if you are still in lockdown. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
not able to upload page

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
On 4/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, RBM said:

Tommy I found this short video interesting.

Very interesting video and well presented.

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Papa Carl said:

Very interesting video and well presented.

Like GeoffH I find him easy to understand and accurate, explains in layman terms which suits me well.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just read a report today that is quite chilling. There is so much news being made about ventilators.

Well, the report I read just a little while ago this morning while enjoying my coffee and Tanduay stated that 88% of people who are put on ventilators do not make it. So... if the s*** hits the fan with me, I guess I will just try to weather it in my bed. I hate hospitals anyway. And here, a person is likely to leave in worse condition than when he or she is admitted. So we will continue to hide out here as long as it takes.

Interestingly, L went for a big shop a couple days ago. Some Bozo behind here, waiting in line to enter the grocery, took off his mask while standing right behind her. She asked him to put it back on, and he did for maybe 5 minutes before removing it again. So she stepped out of the line and fixed him with her stink eye. (I would never survive her stink eye - it is truly devastating!). So he put on his mask again and she resumed her place in line...

What is it that some people just do not GET it!!!???

• Sad 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic