Expensive lockdown!

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Given what I've read from reputable news sources externally of PI reported by journo's in PI, testing rates were very low up until recently so yeah, that could explain it.  The deaths would in theory work as a benchmark but the sources I've seen seem to be understating it there but I can't be sure of that.  

Here's one expample of a site that I can't speak to the voracity of the data for PI specifically but it does match that has been reported on other countries:

Scroll down for country specific data.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I have a huge Filipino family, my wife comes from a family of 14 with the first being born when the Japanese were occupying, we have several hundred relatives mostly in Manila, not a single case of covid19, doesn't matter to me if they were tested or not, nobody died or required hospitalization young or old, I don't think there's a lot of under reporting but just my opinion, does anyone know of a death in their family that is suspected or confirmed covid19?

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 2

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

621 new cases yesterday - the highest daily number since the virus arrived.  Perhaps we are about to enter the worst phase rather than exiting it?  It may well be that a stricter lockdown is required OR is it the case that testing is now happening more so of course the number will increase?  The death count will be an important indicator to tell us which way it's going.  

Well it's ok for most members on here but another month for the poor as you pointed out in other posts? There'll be people starving in the streets and violent crime will go through the roof. Members on here have already reported have miscreants casing their houses. We need to think of the bigger picture.

I'd rather take my chances with a virus that's not very lethal than defend myself from armed men trying to feed their kids.

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Cases were always going to increase once lockdown was reduced, this virus has still got a long way to go before it runs it's course.

Agreed - but the lockdown hadn't yet been reduced in Manilla where 61% of the new cases were recorded.  Of course, maybe the Manilla number was in line with previous days and the remaining 39% accounted for the excess?  Who knows.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

I'd rather take my chances with a virus that's not very lethal than defend myself from armed men trying to feed their kids.

Neither is particularly attractive.  

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, jimeve said:

We bought some UHT milk from Belcris cheaper at 57p 1 liter, got a case of 12.

Thanks for that Jim, we plan a trip down there soon so will stock up, note Oriental still under a quarantine so trust we can enter without issues. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, AusExpat said:

There'll be people starving in the streets and violent crime will go through the roof. 

This is interesting, my fears were of a huge rise in criminality how ever have not read or been aware of this, certainly not in my area which is middle class.

At first wanted to increase locks and make some security changes, none which were done as appeared no need. Granted most Filipinos seem some what apathetic how ever who knows what hungry people will, or can do.

The food grants will not last for ever, the level of mismanagement for same  here is enormous judging from first hand reports.   People do need to get back to work even with the obvious risk involved.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 5/28/2020 at 9:02 PM, AusExpat said:

and the "second wave" conspiracy theory...

Where do you make up your "information"?  History shows that most pandemics do come in waves.  We are still in the first wave, and a 2nd is almost certainly coming. No conspiracy - just real world.  History repeats, and we are on track for another huge 2nd wave just like in 1918 - from people getting tired of quarantine. It is not easy on anyone, but it is necessary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Where do you make up your "information"?  History shows that most pandemics do come in waves.  We are still in the first wave, and a 2nd is almost certainly coming. No conspiracy - just real world.  History repeats, and we are on track for another huge 2nd wave just like in 1918 - from people getting tired of quarantine. It is not easy on anyone, but it is necessary. 

I don't think they've done enough testing to decide when one wave starts and one stops. Maybe if they've done the majority of each city then we can have a reference point.  I doubt that will ever be achieved in the Philippiones, they've recently announced that Covid was in France in December after doing follow up tests, yet they set a reference point at the end of January. 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I don't think they've done enough testing to decide when one wave starts and one stops.

The cases are still on the rise, we are still in our first wave. 

I find it very interesting that so many  online posts complaining about the proposed relaxation of the quarantine, next week,  are saying it is too early and would be a mistake. Totally different attitude here than in many Western countries - and a much lower infection rate.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89: Hey Guys & G's,  I asked if we found it an expensive Lockdown, Plenty of other Threads on How long etc. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic