There's none so blind as those who cannot see

Jeremiah Chapter 5 verse 21

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, Mike J said:

Made the mistake of buying continuous grind trifocals.

I had been using the progressive lens for some time and I too, was annoyed by that blurry spot when looking far (more than 2.5 ft, even the ground) using the bottom of the lens so my new pair was single vision for far. No good! I seldom use them because there are times that I need to read some small print ( like shopping) or do some detail work with small screws or measurements and cannot with or without my progressive glasses so I am using my old ones until I qualify for my next pair. I don't like to bring 2 pairs all the time. Like love, you don't know what you have until it is gone.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Like love, you don't know what you have until it is gone.

Or you didn't know how much more happy you could be :smile:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jpbago said:

I had been using the progressive lens for some time and I too, was annoyed by that blurry spot when looking far <SNIP>

Add me to the list as well.

I tried a pair of progressive ground prescription glasses a couple of years ago but I just could not get used to them the areas of different focus where it was clear was too narrow and the blur in the rest of the image I saw was very distracting.

And having to move my head and neck instead of my eyes was made worse by the fact that I have arthritis in my neck.

A complete waste of money.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted

What are progressive lens? I never have worn glasses only for reading. Like I said, now I have discovered my right eye is good for long distance but bad for reading. Opposite with my left eye.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

You've probably seen tradiional bi-focal lenses where they insert a piece of glass ground for reading into a distance lens.

It used to leave a noticible square but these days it doesn't.

Tri focals are lenses with three different grinds distance, intermediate (TV watching/computer use) and reading.

Progressive lenses are tri-focal lenses (sometimes called multi-focal) where instead of having a sharp border between the focal zones they blend the edges together so you don't have a sharp edge. 

That's meant to be better... but I just couldn't get used to them.   Maybe if you've got a flexy girrafe neck but I've got a short thick neck which doesn't bend well.

These days I just use a pair of driving glasses and a pair of reading glasses.  My intermediate vision is good enough to watch TV.

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted
On 8/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, hk blues said:

I feel my distance sight improved when my reading sight deteriorated - or maybe my imagination as the difference narrowed. 

That is exactly what happens. As the muscles round the eye weaken reading vision becomes more impaired but distance sight improves. Irritating because you have to change lenses again.

I have progressive lenses and have had for some time. Whilst they can initially be a little disconcerting that doesn't last long (or didn't for me) and after that I've barely noticed.

You can always tell someone whose just got a progressive pair as they try to negotiate a step.......... 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, DavidK said:

You can always tell someone whose just got a progressive pair as they try to negotiate a step..........

I thought I was going to have to get a white cane.  The 27K peso specs are now in the drawer and I wear 150 peso glasses for reading.  27K because they were trifocals continuous grind, photo gray, UV scratch resistant coating, titanium frame with flex hinges.   Very nice glasses but I just could not get used to them.  The optomitrist said to "point your nose" at what you want to see.  Maybe my nose is in the wrong spot? :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, DavidK said:

I have progressive lenses and have had for some time. Whilst they can initially be a little disconcerting that doesn't last long (or didn't for me) and after that I've barely noticed.

8 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I thought I was going to have to get a white cane.  The 27K peso specs are now in the drawer and I wear 150 peso glasses for reading.  27K because they were trifocals continuous grind, photo gray, UV scratch resistant coating, titanium frame with flex hinges.   Very nice glasses but I just could not get used to them.  The optomitrist said to "point your nose" at what you want to see.  Maybe my nose is in the wrong spot? :tongue:

Yeah Mike... I have the same exact type of glasses. What I did learn, however, is that there are a few different configurations for the close up and mid range opticals. I had glasses before where the close-up was very tight and restrictive - mid range too. The most recent glasses have a wider range on both and that made a world of difference. From your description, it sounds like you got lenses with an inappropriate field for your focus?

But that doesn't help you much now...sorry.

As DavidK mentions, I had a problem for the first few days negotiating stairs with these, but now I don't even notice them or the slight head bobbing or turning I need to do to bring everything into focus (except for the damn scratch dead center on one of the lenses!).

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Can they make lens that the left eye and right eye are different?  Example: long range, right eye good, left eye bad....