Where to Have Life As An Ex-Expat?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I guess if you move it would make you an ex-expat?

Washington State has a lot to offer no doubt. The general Seattle area is become an undesirable place. There are areas within Washington that are reasonably affordable and provide a high quality of life too depending on your needs. In your case schools are important.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/18/2020 at 1:19 PM, Nickleback99 said:

Yep, Tom Bodette.   And yep, "Rainier, the beer from here."  Think I'd prefer a PBR from what I remember, but they do have great commercials. Now, we have so many micro brews, can't keep up.

Don, Another reason to consider WA...Fantastic local micro brews and now incredible wines from east of the cascades.  Former apple orchards are now vineyards.  Numerous clear alpine lakes here where you can see to the bottom.  For cheaper housing, and exceptional lake areas, rivers, etc Spokane is also nice, over on Idaho border...hot dry summers, cold winters. Lot of Californians moving to Idaho as well. I used to do some work over in Northern Idaho, where ton of LAPD and LASO guys retired to over the years...even Mark Furman of OJ murder case fame.

If I remember correctly, you're a beer drinkin' Jar Head (term of endearment) and that lovely hideaway of yours must have at least a dozen sniper positions already scoped out.....he, he.  These days....I know I would.  Bravo Zulu Marine!

NOV 1990, I retired from USN and bought a brand new 4 bedroom, two story home in Silverdale, Kitsap county for about $150K.  I love the community and Seattle area.  Even down the Gorge (Columbia River) where I almost drowned wind surfing.  Yeah, I loved it all.  Didn't mind the webbing growing between my fingers.  Yeah, it gets pretty wet.  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The Columbia River Gorge Washington side is rural and very nice although it can be windy at times.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Actually, it makes you ar repat or repatriate. :whistling:

• Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Old55 said:

The Columbia River Gorge Washington side is rural and very nice although it can be windy at times.

They use to have a T shirt describing the winds down there: OHFUCKITSNUKING.  The strong current was also freezing cold.  

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

If I remember correctly, you're a beer drinkin' Jar Head (term of endearment) and that lovely hideaway of yours must have at least a dozen sniper positions already scoped out.....he, he.  These days....I know I would.  Bravo Zulu Marine!

NOV 1990, I retired from USN and bought a brand new 4 bedroom, two story home in Silverdale, Kitsap county for about $150K.  I love the community and Seattle area.  Even down the Gorge (Columbia River) where I almost drowned wind surfing.  Yeah, I loved it all.  Didn't mind the webbing growing between my fingers.  Yeah, it gets pretty wet.  

Yup and got the high ground in 3 directions, very gentle slope up the other side. I've thought about that moreso since the riots and nonsense started.  Also added the 5.56 long gun I previously mentioned.  As for the Gorge, we camped there just before our fires started and as Old55 said, it's damn windy over there....hence your windsurfing exploits, but dry as a bone and gorgeous in it's own way.  Great concert venue Gorge at George amphitheater as well.  All this makes me wonder why I'd think of leaving?!....might be the $$$ and 2 prior divorces.

• Haha 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Actually, it makes you ar repat or repatriate. :whistling:

The dog keeps asking me to re-pat him... :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jake said:

NOV 1990, I retired from USN and bought a brand new 4 bedroom, two story home in Silverdale, Kitsap county for about $150K.

Back in 1975-6 I rented a small cabin in Brownsville (next town and on the Sound from Silverdale) right on the waterfront for $100/month. Back then, Silverdale was undeveloped and essentially a one horse, two tavern town...

Now your 150k home is likely worth 400k - or more!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Washington State has a lot to offer no doubt. The general Seattle area is become an undesirable place. There are areas within Washington that are reasonably affordable and provide a high quality of life too depending on your needs. In your case schools are important.

Actually the topic title is "ex-expat". 

• Hmm thinking 1