Where to Have Life As An Ex-Expat?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Google says there are some cheap places to live in California.  I have always liked visiting there.  What about this recommendation from Dr Google?

California would be my most desired state to live in, climate wise.  I spend the first 50 years of my life there.  However, the housing is ridiculously high and they have the highest taxes in the country.  If you look at real prices for a decent house in Oxnard, $400-500 k minimum.

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

The best state for cost of living Mississippi, dollar worth around $1.25 as compared to DC around .88 (that info is a few years old).  But that is about the only thing is has going for it.  Most military bases have a large Filipino population around them, San Diego, Pensacola and many more.  Education, I would home school, I know there are some great school systems out there, but it is hard to learn with all the BS going on in some school systems.  Look at Vegas and see what the line is on schools improving over the next 5 years.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Google says there are some cheap places to live in California.

Yes there are, but most of them are far gone from what is considered civilization. :hystery:

El Centro comes to mind. I was stationed there for 5 years. Navy Base so pretty good size Filipino population and food at the commissary. Housing is low, education so so. But you have to put up with 115 degree and 90% humidity summers, but the winters are beautiful lol.

Barstow is affordable, 30 miles from FT Irwin so Filipino food at the commissary but hot in the summer 100 miles from Vegas, and 100 miles to Los Angeles.

Here is a general rule of thumb about California. If you want to be close to civilization, have good weather, good schools, be near Filipino communities, you will either have to pay BIG, BIG bucks or own some of those automatic weapons from the other thread :571b119686cf7_1(72):

Or you could live in Temecula near Jake.....But being born and raised in Escondido we never did consider them to be civilized, they are thought to be the West Virginia hillbillys of California :shades:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Yes there are, but most of them are far gone from what is considered civilization. :hystery:

El Centro comes to mind. I was stationed there for 5 years. Navy Base so pretty good size Filipino population and food at the commissary. Housing is low, education so so. But you have to put up with 115 degree and 90% humidity summers, but the winters are beautiful lol.

Barstow is affordable, 30 miles from FT Irwin so Filipino food at the commissary but hot in the summer 100 miles from Vegas, and 100 miles to Los Angeles.

Here is a general rule of thumb about California. If you want to be close to civilization, have good weather, good schools, be near Filipino communities, you will either have to pay BIG, BIG bucks or own some of those automatic weapons from the other thread :571b119686cf7_1(72):

Or you could live in Temecula near Jake.....But being born and raised in Escondido we never did consider them to be civilized, they are thought to be the West Virginia hillbillys of California :shades:

I probably should have stated what I will consider as affordable.  $200-300 k for a 3-4 BR, preferably newer house.  That is still possible in some areas of the country.  That and the taxes rule out California.

I was curious as to what Temecula prices were like now.  I have friends in Canyon Lake near there, and they built their house there in the 90's.  I looked on Zillow and Canyon Lake seems more affordable than Temecula.  However, they may have super high association fees.  Temecula was just getting started with sub-divisions back in the 90's, I believe.  Now it seems like all the nicer newer houses are $400-500 k.  I hope Jake as able to take the money and run!

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Don, I spent my entire life in Western Maryland until we moved to the Philippines.  I still have my home there and was hoping my son would buy it maybe next year. However, his wife left him and their three kids at the beginning of this year.  At the same time my daughter has been begging us to return to the states for her to finish school there with her old friends and also to be closer to our other family.  If I moved back to the states my wife and I wanted the south west coast of Florida.  Maybe Punta Gorda.  My house in Maryland has 5 bedrooms and an apartment above the garage which has also been rented out.  So now we are considering moving back and sharing the house with my son.  Financially, it would benefit us both and I could spend some time with my grandkids also. We are thinking next July for the move and then our daughter will start the 10th grade.  We may stay in Maryland for 3-4 years before moving south. I like the area but like your wife, I don’t want the winters any longer.  I know you recently sold your house in Florida.  What area was that located?  Would you not consider that area again?  I have family in many areas of Florida and a couple friends in Punta Gorda. They like that area and like me they don't to be too close to a major city due to traffic.I’m not too concerned of storms and can easily leave for a nice vacation when there would be a warning.  Other places I have considered are also Las Vegas and Texas.  I also Like NC and outside Jacksonville, Fl.  But I really prefer now to be in tropic area.  It is such a hard decision and I don't really look forward to another relocation and the expense of US prices.

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 2.22.28 PM.png

CIMG1485.jpg

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, intrepid said:

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 2.22.28 PM.png

CIMG1485.jpg

Wow, triple WOW!  Do you activate your siren and lights to announce your arrival?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jake said:

Wow, triple WOW!  Do you activate your siren and lights to announce your arrival?

HAha,  I may have done that once.

• Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Have any of you Americans ever thought of Canada? :whistling: :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Yeah... been there, done that, have the T-shirts (and flannels and wooleys and wood stoves!)

If in Canada, I would look to PEI. or Nova Scotia... Nice geography, reasonable climate too... But you will need to learn to put vinegar on your French Fries, not ketchup... - hahaha!

Actually, since this topic is wandering again a bit, I would prefer to live in Wyoming. What a beautiful and open and free part of the world! Sure... it gets super cold in winter with incredible winds and snows, but it is such a beautiful part of the planet and the air is super clean! 

Hmmm... and when it gets really cold, you just snuggle with your girl that much closer... what's wrong with that?

Hahaha... And you likely won't have to worry about any Sherriffs driving up to your home with lights flashing and sirens blaring while you are sleeping or.....?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... been there, done that, have the T-shirts (and flannels and wooleys and wood stoves!)

Actually, since this topic is wandering again a bit, I would prefer to live in Wyoming. What a beautiful and open and free part of the world! Sure... it gets super cold in winter with incredible winds and snows, but it is such a beautiful part of the planet and the air is super clean!

Truthfully, I would enjoy both places.  I love the mountains and outdoors.  However, I have only lived in a real winter for 2 winters, in Northern Kentucky, so I don't think I have lived in a "real, real" winter!

When we went to Colorado in 2017, in May, I thought the weather was very nice.  70's/80's in the day, cool at night.  We stayed in my sister's very nice basement.  Even with heating and heated mattress pad and heated blanket, my wife said she was freezing!  Now, she say she wouldn't mind, but I have my doubts!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1