Philippines will go for cheapest COVID-19 vaccine

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I can understand the cost will be high to vaccinate the whole population. But how much will it costs for foreigners as I'm sure we wont be given for free.

Philippines will go for cheapest COVID-19 vaccine —Duterte

Given the country's scarce funds, President Rodrigo Duterte said the Philippines will buy the cheapest COVID-19 vaccine that will be available in the market, saying all vaccines have the same effect.

"It's there. I think it's Moderna, it is a US company, I think they are ready by September. . . . Sinovac, China is also ready," he said in a taped address aired nationwide Monday.

"Kung sino magbigay ng mura dun tayo pupunta. We know we don’t have much money, kung mahal masyado, we will go for the less expensive ones," Duterte added.

Under the proposed Bayanihan to Recover as One Act, which is awaiting Duterte's signature, a P10 billion standby fund for COVID-19 vaccines and for testing has been set aside.

Duterte earlier said the Philippine government will pay for the vaccines that would be made available to Filipinos to fight COVID-19.

He also added that he will be asking the Russian and Chinese governments for loans for the vaccines due to the “economic hemorrhage” the country is facing.

In his message, Duterte declared that the Philippines has "flattened the curve" in its campaign against the spread of COVID-19 in the country.

"We had obedience and people followed that meant a lot and contributed to what is happening now that there's a flattening of cases," he said.

"Yung local government also played a vital role in the [enforcement] of anti-virus measures. I salute you for doing your duty very well," he added.

He called on the people to remain vigilant despite the positive development, adding this does not mean that COVID-19 is gone but remains "floating."

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/754624/philippines-will-go-for-cheapest-covid-19-vaccine-duterte/story/

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

But what of any cheap stuff side-effects ?  :89:

• Haha 4

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Please explain to me why poor Filipinos need covid vaccine? 50k Filipinos die every year from Flu, are poor Filipinos taking the Flu vaccine every year? I don't think so. Almost all who died from covid are old people with pre existing conditions, life expectancy in the Philippines is around 69, one of the lowest in the world, so what is the big deal here with covid when Filipinos have much bigger health issues?

"AstraZeneca pauses COVID-19 vaccine trial after unexplained illness in U.K.: reports"

A study testing a potential COVID-19 vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford has been put on hold over a “potentially unexplained illness” in the United Kingdom, according to media reports. He said these can include excessive fever causing hospitalization or disability and excessive swelling causing meningitis or Kawasaki disease

https://globalnews.ca/news/7322708/oxford-covid-vaccine-hold/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"The World Health Organization says a new polio outbreak in Sudan is linked to an ongoing vaccine-sparked epidemic in Chad—a week after the U.N. health agency declared the African continent free of the wild polio virus"

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-polio-outbreak-sudan-oral-vaccine.html

Edited by jaybee

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Almost all who died from covid are old people with pre existing conditions, life expectancy in the Philippines is around 69, one of the lowest in the world, so what is the big deal here with covid when Filipinos have much bigger health issues?

That's cool, Jaybee... So you must be quite young and not concerned about this virus?

Yeah... there are many health issues. This happens to be important right now. And why do you even worry when you are apparently happy and chilling out in Florida? No corona virus there, I believe?

I am  in the "at risk" age group and am seriously concerned. And there are many Filipinos who also are not so young as you may be? So please just think about this... You may have a chance to avoid dying by getting a vaccination. Or you may look into someone's 9 mm pistol. Take your pick...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That's cool, Jaybee... So you must be quite young and not concerned about this virus?

Yeah... there are many health issues. This happens to be important right now. And why do you even worry when you are apparently happy and chilling out in Florida? No corona virus there, I believe?

I am concerned. And there are many Filipinos who also are not so young as you may be? So please just think about this... You may have a chance to avoid dying by getting a vaccination. Or you may look into someone's 9 mm pistol. Take your pick...

I am 60+ and currently living in Cebu, not in Florida.

Instead of answering my question you just resorted to assumptions and kind of threat? (9 mm pistol? what is about?)

So I will just ask again - why poor young Filipinos should bother with covid vaccine when they never bother with a yearly flu vaccine which kill around 50k Filipinos per year, especially if it is a new vaccine that was haphazardly concocted in a lab somewhere in china or Russia?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I am 60+ and currently living in Cebu, not in Florida.

Instead of answering my question you just resorted to assumptions and kind of threat? (9 mm pistol? what is about?)

So I will just ask again - why poor young Filipinos should bother with covid vaccine when they never bother with a yearly flu vaccine which kill around 50k Filipinos per year, especially if it is a new vaccine that was haphazardly concocted in a lab somewhere in china or Russia?

Cool that you are also 60+.

Sorry... I did not mean to suggest a threat... just a choice...

Filipinos may soon have a choice about whether to take a vaccine or get sick and die possibly from this nasty virus.

Of course, I do not advocate the administration of an under or untested vaccine from Russia or China. But also look at the statistics regarding this covid virus verses flu. Many people are documented to be sick for many months after infection. If a vaccine that costs only a little or nothing to the local population is available, why not take and use it?

That is my point. Sorry again, if I sounded too confrontational...

I will also add that lately I am very cranky - my problem, not yours!

Edited by Tommy T.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, jaybee said:

The Philippines government have an active vaccination program for infants and Rotary in the Philippines have active vaccine programs as well.

Why would they bother?  Because it's free, and the benefits outweigh the downsides in almost all people.

Nothing is perfect but generally speaking vaccination is well tolerated in most people and where the alternative disease is dangerous it makes sense.

But no one is forcing you to take a vaccine (and I wouldn't take an un verified Russian or Chinese vaccine at this point either).

As to the Astra Zenaca pause, it's common for stage III trials to be temporarily halted when there are issues, that is after all the point of the trial.

To establish dose levels that are well tolerated across a wide range of age groups in both sexes and for people with varying conditions.

It doesn't worry me that Astro Zenica paused, what worries me is that the Russian and Chinese vaccines are being pushed out without a stage III to find these less common problems.  That means that any uncommon problems that do occur with those vaccines will happen to the general public not closely monitored stage III participants.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

Russian and Chinese vaccines are being pushed out without a stage III to find these less common problems.

Now here is something that has been nagging at me. Pres D has basically said that he will take what ever is available to open the country. Sounds a lot like "Damn the Torpedo's!" Attitude, but like you I wont take it. 

So, I wonder if they will keep us locked down until we prove we have had a shot, or will it be "OK! The new normal is here! Your on your own!"

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic