Jump to content

Cast Iron Frying Pans


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is for sale 10 miles from me in the US. Shall I inquire about price and put it in a balakbayan box for you?

Check this out, HK: https://www.thekitchn.com/why-the-cast-iron-skillet-is-the-key-to-better-one-pan-cooking-233944 >One-pan cooking is everywhere these days — from one-pan pastas to shee

On the other hand, if you smack an intruder with an aluminum frying pan, you hear a big "dong!", he turns around, and kills you. Good cast iron has a true ring to it when it contacts the skull, l

Posted Images

Try Handyman.  I seem to remember seeing them there.  Also Robinsons Department store.  I seem to remember they weren't all that pricey either.  I am considering picking one up but am concerned about rust.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

A few on Lazada form 549 peso upwards plus postage of course.

 

39 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Try Handyman.  I seem to remember seeing them there.  Also Robinsons Department store.  I seem to remember they weren't all that pricey either.  I am considering picking one up but am concerned about rust.

Thanks guys! I put those both on my list in case I don't find them at SM - which is closest store to us here... I post what I find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shady said:

Mine cost over $100 to ship but it was worth it, they don't sell large cast iron grill pans here (grill pan not frying pan).

She can watch this and learn

 

You can buy a cast iron grill pan here, Shady - various styles and sizes are available in SM.  We bought a large rectangular one there - about 3,000php but works a treat. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

 I am considering picking one up but am concerned about rust.

Properly seasoned and cared for they won’t rust. And if they do, usually from not being seasoned correctly or not used for a long period, then simply heat it up and use 00 steel wool to gently rub off the rust. Rinse it out, put it on the fire to warm it up again and season it. 

I have a pair of them that were my grandmothers, so they are at least 80 years old and still work wonderfully. She used to use bacon grease to season them and cleaned them same way as in the video posted by Shady.....the steam method. Off the wood burning stove, poured boiling hot water into it, scraped it with a spatula, rinsed, wiped it dry, set on the edge of the wood burning stove to fully dry it as well as warm it back up, rubbed some bacon grease or “Crisco” on it and that was it. Might bring them next visit to keep there in my apartment  - if they don’t cause my suitcases to be overweight, even the small 8” one is pretty heavy, lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuine question here - is it really worth all the effort i.e. what is the big advantage over a "normal" pan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You can buy a cast iron grill pan here, Shady - various styles and sizes are available in SM.  We bought a large rectangular one there - about 3,000php but works a treat. 

Must be new stock, when I 'imported' mine a few years ago there was nothing.

Got a scale around, how much does yours weigh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shady said:

Must be new stock, when I 'imported' mine a few years ago there was nothing.

Got a scale around, how much does yours weigh?

We bought it a couple of years ago - it's about  45cm x 30cm JML brand.  Don't have a big enough scale around but it's not that heavy as the iron is not that thick. I'm now doubting if it's actual cast iron after all as it's not heavy enough i reckon.  Could be a lighter steel with a coating?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hk blues said:

I'm now doubting if it's actual cast iron after all as it's not heavy enough

Exactly what I thought when I lifted some smaller ones I saw. A real cast iron pan should be at least 7 lbs

Recently I was looking for a high quality wok, again nothing in the malls except those lightweight aluminum things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shady said:

Exactly what I thought when I lifted some smaller ones I saw. A real cast iron pan should be at least 7 lbs

Recently I was looking for a high quality wok, again nothing in the malls except those lightweight aluminum things.

Ours is nowhere near 7lbs - nearer 2lbs!  I'm thinking it's a steel alloy coated to look like cast iron.  To be fair to SM, I don't think they claimed it was cast iron.  Yep, it's hard to find a better quality wok here - probably the best bet would be some kind of specialist cookware store but they will be pricey.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...