[2020-10-31] 13A Visa Intramuros Appication BOI Experience (Initial, with potential scam details)

Shol
Posted
Posted

Couple of things maybe you guys can help me out with.

I noticed that after a few hours, I am unable to edit this post to include more details, for instance the Onlymyway indication that the fixers might be travel agents.  I was able to edit for a while but now it doesn't seem like I can.  Anyway around this?   I would like to keep that first post set up so I can keep adding to it and including new informations versus just responding with new posts, etc.

Secondly are you folks currently getting a The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.  when you try to hit immigration.gov.ph?  I have tried 3 different browsers on a few different connections and same deal.   

Thanks!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shol said:

Couple of things maybe you guys can help me out with.

I noticed that after a few hours, I am unable to edit this post to include more details, for instance the Onlymyway indication that the fixers might be travel agents.  I was able to edit for a while but now it doesn't seem like I can.  Anyway around this?   I would like to keep that first post set up so I can keep adding to it and including new informations versus just responding with new posts, etc.

Secondly are you folks currently getting a The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.  when you try to hit immigration.gov.ph?  I have tried 3 different browsers on a few different connections and same deal.   

Thanks!

I got the same error on that link.  I never came across that editing problem.  Open a topic in the Forum help section if it is an issue.

• Thanks 1

Shol
Posted
Posted

C

2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I got the same error on that link.  I never came across that editing problem.  Open a topic in the Forum help section if it is an issue.

Thanks will do.  It's happening to all my posts after a certain time frame.  Perhaps it has something to do with my access level. I sent a note to see what can be done. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shol said:

It's happening to all my posts after a certain time frame.

It is a feature implemented by forum management because they prefer members make a new post rather than edit the original one.

Many readers only read new posts.  When you edit an older one some readers do not see it.

In addition, we have had members who go back and edit their posts to something totally different, or even delete them, which can make the whole thread garbage.

So it is prefered that members do not edit their posts after a given length of time.  Contact any moderator to have your post changed if needed.  To ask for a change to your personal permissions please contact @Jollygoodfellow 

• Like 3

Shol
Posted
Posted

Thanks will work it out :)

Appreciate the tips Dave

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Shol said:

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.  when you try to hit immigration.gov.ph?

I had this problem when I tried it during non working hours, but when I tried during their working hours, I was able to log in.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Dave has it right - how many posters are going to read through every post checking what's changed? Whilst nobody will criticise somebody sharing info in good faith, if that info is changed then it can be an issue. Much better to add a follow - up with the change. 

• Thanks 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 10/31/2020 at 12:38 AM, Freebie said:

BIR is also a fixer free environment.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:42 AM, OnMyWay said:

The people walking around with big stacks of folders are not fixers.  Most are authorized travel agents doing extensions for customers.

At our BIR, while we waited, there was a constant arrival of people with foot high stacks of folders going straight up to the counter and getting served while everyone else had to wait. They alternated between customers and those with stacks of folders (which took longer than one customer).

BC57
Posted
Posted
On 10/31/2020 at 7:49 AM, Shol said:

Hi there.

The purpose of this post is to give anyone reading an insightful, hands-on/modern experience on what to expect when they visit BOI, Main Office in Intramuros, Magellanes Dr for obtaining a 13A Marriage Visa. I will not go over the 13A Visa process but just focus on the experience and thoughts on what to expect and to help those trying or looking to apply.

Appointment - We arrived at the big, old building about an hour before our scheduled interview time. (Interview is secured online, 3 working days before you want to go, but you have to be fast and book it within the first 5 minutes or they "sell out" lol, see (http://e-services.immigration.gov.ph). It seems like this website is separate for the immigration.gov.ph one which everyone tells you to visit, but hardly ever works.  Our time spent for this entire "ordeal" was approximately 4 hours. 

They checked our transaction slip on my phone, no issues so "probably" no need to print as I forgot. They seemed to remember us when we came back in so didn't have to do it all over again. They validated that my companion was my wife and Petioner but that was it. There doesn't to be any sort of organized appointment. You get let in and then you simply have to find your way to counter 20 (which is on the transaction slip) and then figure things out from there.

Notes - Lots of action here despite the limited appointments. Many apparent fixers outside and notary service signs. (I did not get approached by anyone, but I could sense that had I shown some general "indecision" this would have happened pretty fast :)) Building is very old and run down lots of garbage and you generally want to get inside as soon as possible.   

Inside (Counter 20 Area) - Counter 20 is pretty much straight inside; there were gaps on when people were at the window but after getting settled you need to sort of be assertive to get served since it is still quite hectic. You will notice a lot of fixer types with massive amounts of folders and ID's, some wearing "BI Accredited" shirts; I didn't experience them other than to get directed towards the "helpdesk" which is situated near the stairs to have my documents "validated" before starting the official process. We got to talk to one of the ladies working there finally and were told she needed to eat lunch, and would look after us in a bit. Was a bit hesitant to hand over our documents to her but we did it. After about 20 minutes we were called over and my wife was told that our stuff looked good but we needed to "notarize" the joint letter and a "new" document that isn't mentioned anywhere on the BOI website, called an "Affidavit of Guarantee with Authenticity". We were informed multiple times that the official website online was "not updated" with these new changes. Due to social distancing, and language barriers, I decided to let my wife handle this and one thing of of note with mask/shield on and the noise, it was extremely hard to hear anyone talking and this contributed to what happened next.

Scam #1 Alert - So we were told that, contrary to the website we needed to notarize the joint letter and affidavit document, but we would be "helped". Honestly, I wouldn't have done this but they told her that it was 900 or so PHP and that we couldn't "proceed to the next steps" without doing that, which I believe is false since there are details online that there is no need to have any notarization on that as of 2016, and never heard of this affidavit before. Just decided to do it. Ugh.

So we are led outside and down a side street into a row of notary republics pretty much setup for this purpose and they proceeded to "redo" our joint letter, create this "Affidavit of Guarantee with Authenticity" letter and have us fill out this questionnaire which we were told now "replaces" having to do the interview. (Pretty much, what they would have asked in the interview) I just followed my wife’s lead but yes, was a bit nervous that this was not only perhaps a scam, but that I might get extorted, robbed or even brutally murdered. Fortunately, none of that happened :)) All of the documents were notarized and we were charged 950 PHP and then walked back into BOI. I realized at this point, this was a big scam setup as I saw other foreigners there doing the same nonsense, being led to their “doom” by a non-BI “helper”. I would like to hear replies to those who follow me on what happens here if this is challenged, since my wife was not given any option; do that or you can't continue. I suspect that the questionnaire and whatever would have been available regardless.

Upon returning we were told to wait and she was happy to provide us with "free" fasteners for our folders since we didn't have any, LOL. When we were waiting my wife asked "how long will this take" and then that started our “criminal” lady to engage us with scam attempt #2. (I really wanted to snapshot this person’s picture but my wife was a bit nervous for me to do that.)

Scam #2 Alert - So my wife was asked despite it being on our forms, where we lived, and we were told that the process will take 2-3+ months and that will have to come back 3-4 times for everything. (This turned out to be false, at least so far) and that if we wanted, she could take care of it all for her, "between you and me" for a massive amount of PHP. She was "positively scripted" by saying how far we lived and what a hassle, but despite that my wife declined and we were then moved onto the next sections for what I assume would be the regular "non scam" processing.

I'm so glad I don't have to go to the main office. I wonder what would have happened if you asked to talk with a supervisor and reported her. That's the only way the scams will be reduced a bit. Someone will still always try to scam but letting her the hook just let's her scam the next foreigner. I think things run must smoother at the provinces BI offices. I never had any issue at the Davao office as for being scammed. Good luck with your processing.:smile:

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jpbago said:

At our BIR, while we waited, there was a constant arrival of people with foot high stacks of folders going straight up to the counter and getting served while everyone else had to wait. They alternated between customers and those with stacks of folders (which took longer than one customer).

Yes definitely at Intramuros BOI I called them fixers but I as noted they could have been travel agents.  I guess the major difference is they just "legally" rip foreigners off, lol.  Well sometmes :)  But 100% took longer since they had multiple transactions going on and it seemed like at least when I was in Biometrics, one of them "knew" the guy at the window  as he was able to go past me  and a few other regular customers and delayed everyone haha.