Post Dated Checks

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I see this requirement on most rentals in the Capitol Region. Is that applicable for foreigners, too? Are there options to get around it? I am open to paying a years rent in advance but only for a reduction in the monthly rent. What are other's experience with this?

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, baronapart said:

I see this requirement on most rentals in the Capitol Region. Is that applicable for foreigners, too? Are there options to get around it? I am open to paying a years rent in advance but only for a reduction in the monthly rent. What are other's experience with this?

Everything is negotiable!  I think a high % of landlords would take a years advance lump payment over a year of post dated checks.  Discount.  Maybe.

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Everything is negotiable!  I think a high % of landlords would take a years advance lump payment over a year of post dated checks.  Discount.  Maybe.

I guess my question is has anybody given postdated checks from a US bank? 

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, baronapart said:

has anybody given postdated checks from a US bank? 

I suggested it, they declined, they only want PH bank checks so I had to get a PH checking account.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Cheques leave a paper trail which some people do not want. A lot of rentals here are not registered with the taxman.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When I bought my first house in the UK I was not very well off. sometimes I could not pay my bills on time and had to wait until the end of the month. I found a way around this, using cheques, I would write the correct day and month but put the last years number on there, by the time they sent it back I had the money and no black mark on my record.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The second guy complained all year about the landlord not fixing any problems.  Well why should she?  She already had his money.

This is the reason I would never pay with post dated checks.  Same with paying a full year in advance.   And your landlord would be pleased to have you get fed up and leave so they can rent the place again.  In short the landlord has no reason to keep you happy and every reason to see you leave even if you are a good tenant.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, baronapart said:

I guess my question is has anybody given postdated checks from a US bank? 

U.S. checks take 3-4 weeks for the bank to clear and the landlord would have to have a USD account.  Unlikely they would accept a U.S. check.  You need to open a peso checking account.  

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike J said:

This is the reason I would never pay with post dated checks.  Same with paying a full year in advance.   And your landlord would be pleased to have you get fed up and leave so they can rent the place again.  In short the landlord has no reason to keep you happy and every reason to see you leave even if you are a good tenant.

I don't think I know of an expat here who has a peso checking account.  Really no use for it except for this post dated check scheme.

• Like 1