Post Dated Checks

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Ah... I see... sometimes the system here seems to be a thow-back to a few dozen years ago? 
Sorry for your hassles...

It's getting better to be fair Tom, but still a way to go.  It wasn't such a big deal but I was surprised (shocked) it wasn't possible.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

It's getting better to be fair Tom, but still a way to go.  It wasn't such a big deal but I was surprised (shocked) it wasn't possible.  

Yet they are set up for Transfer in from Banks Abroad ie: pensions :tiphat:

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yet they are set up for Transfer in from Banks Abroad ie: pensions :tiphat:

Yep Jack.  I transfer money regularly from the UK to banks here with no issues - but that's all done online.  The issue seems to be when in the physical bank. 

Edit - A quick online check shows that interbank transfers are limited depending on the bank.  BPI for example is limited to 50,000php so that explains why i couldn't do it. 

Just to clarify, we are not talking about electronic transfers - I can transfer way more than 50,000 from the UK to here.  

Edited by hk blues

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

This may be specific to my bank, or no longer true, but when I wanted to make a large transfer from my bank a/c to my wife's (different bank) there was no system to do so - I was incredulous! The options were cash or cheque.  This was about 9 months ago. 

So you couldn't use the gateways either (PayMaya, Gcash, GrabPay, PesoNet, InstaPay, etc).

I was asking why do this

your bank account -> gateway -> other bank account

if you can do this

your bank account -> other bank account

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Shady said:

So you couldn't use the gateways either (PayMaya, Gcash, GrabPay, PesoNet, InstaPay, etc).

I was asking why do this

your bank account -> gateway -> other bank account

if you can do this

your bank account -> other bank account

It wasn't me who was talking about gateways - I've never used them and have no need to. 

I agree I wouldn't use such a gateway if I was able to do an interbank transfer. The scenario I was talking about wouldn't have worked with either method as the amount was above max limits.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yes, but again Tom, even if I had had online banking then I would not have been able to do it as the transfer amount was well above the max allowed.  

The second time we bought a car I got around that by doing several transfers near my max transfer limit (the first time I had a backpack full of cash wrapped as a christmas present which made me uncomfortable carrying it).

It wouldn't be as easy if it was a multi-million peso house transaction though.

Edited by GeoffH

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The second time we bought a car I got around that by doing several transfers near my max transfer limit (the first time I had a backpack full of cash wrapped as a christmas present which made me uncomfortable carrying it).

It wouldn't be as easy if it was a multi-million peso house transaction though.

It seems crazy that they don't have a much better system in place but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I agree I wouldn't use such a gateway if I was able to do an interbank transfer.

Yeah I'm waiting for @Gandang Smile to reply on what his reasons for using them are, like if there's a situation where your bank can't do direct bank transfers, but can transfer to a third party. Doesn't seem likely though.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Shady said:

Yeah I'm waiting for @Gandang Smile to reply on what his reasons for using them are, like if there's a situation where your bank can't do direct bank transfers, but can transfer to a third party. Doesn't seem likely though.

I have no idea but maybe payment gateways offer better security than online bank transfers and/or immediate transfer whilst maybe bank transfers don't?   

baronapart
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

This may be specific to my bank, or no longer true, but when I wanted to make a large transfer from my bank a/c to my wife's (different bank) there was no system to do so - I was incredulous! The options were cash or cheque.  This was about 9 months ago. 

So what is the best way to transfer money for a land or home purchase?