Western style living conditions?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I disagree... One can find many places that are "the same" or very similar, within any  given country.

I just made a comment based on what was posted, HK... USA has an incredible diversity of locations, climates, etc...

I, personally, chose Philippines because of climate, people, culture. Definitely, the Phils... is not for everyone.

Depends on your definition of same, or similar.  

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I based myself in the very centre of Makati...convenient for malls but of greater importance was 3 traffic lights to airport and in first few years here managed 28 trips both nationally and internationally. Easy to get to HK or Thailand and easy for Europe and Australia.

Hospitals, no brownouts and constant wifi all here. However when I want a dose of beach or provincel  life WAS very easy to head to Bantaya, Siquijor, Dumaguete area, Siargao, and a host of other good easy to bein provincial areas. For me this works as I own my own condo.

Many golf courses just a few kms south of Ayala Alabang , which is 20kms from Makati.

Im happy with the life I chose though in covid times I prefer one month in Makati then one month in an airbnb house in some of the locations mentioned above. However despite all the words I could use, we all have our own preferences and you need to be here to experience the good the bad the illogical and the frankly bizarre stuff that happens when you live here. 

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Not trying to sound negative here, but... If someone prefers to live in a place that is like the US, then why not just settle in some place in the US? 

Why come to the Philippines at all? Just my thoughts...

Travel time to the Philippines would be 15 minutes instead of 15 hours.

• Thanks 1

softail
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Not trying to sound negative here, but... If someone prefers to live in a place that is like the US, then why not just settle in some place in the US? 

Why come to the Philippines at all? Just my thoughts...

The area has a multitude of foreigners, have made a several good friends. The area is very safe, am able to walk anywhere day or night safely. There are two very good hospitals in the area so health care is good, very important for people in my age bracket. Pretty much anything I need is available with 2 good shopping malls, several good grocery stores as well as a S and R. 

I love the Philippines and it’s people. I am no stranger to 3rd world conditions. In 1960 my parents and myself found ourselves stranded in the Galápagos Islands. At the time it was very isolated from the rest of the world, is the highlight of my life. That adventure turned out to be 2 years before we were able to leave. After that we live in Quito Ecuador, Columbia and Panama. 

I am very close to my wife’s family and love the get togethers which are frequent. They are my family. 

The Philippines is a great “launch point” for all the country’s in Asia, something I have been taking advantage of.

I hope this comes close to answering your question, if not, I will try to enlighten you further.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, softail said:

The area has a multitude of foreigners, have made a several good friends. The area is very safe, am able to walk anywhere day or night safely. There are two very good hospitals in the area so health care is good, very important for people in my age bracket. Pretty much anything I need is available with 2 good shopping malls, several good grocery stores as well as a S and R. 

I love the Philippines and it’s people. I am no stranger to 3rd world conditions. In 1960 my parents and myself found ourselves stranded in the Galápagos Islands. At the time it was very isolated from the rest of the world, is the highlight of my life. That adventure turned out to be 2 years before we were able to leave. After that we live in Quito Ecuador, Columbia and Panama. 

I am very close to my wife’s family and love the get togethers which are frequent. They are my family. 

The Philippines is a great “launch point” for all the country’s in Asia, something I have been taking advantage of.

I hope this comes close to answering your question, if not, I will try to enlighten you further.

I agree with your comments 100%, Softail.

My comments were to address someone who seems to prefer the western life and culture. I actually have no idea what his true or total aspirations may be regarding living in a country foreign to his origins...

Davao City, where I live, has most of the conveniences of anywhere in USA. However, things are not as "convenient" always. It can take more than a day just to find and buy ingredients to make a western style meal. It can be an adventure all on its own. That's just the flow of life here. I am okay with this and enjoy the slower (mostly) way things go. Not everyone can deal with this. 

Personally, I did not move here to be associated with or  be close to other Americans (or Canadians, eh?). If so, I would move back to Seattle, or Chicago or ??? USA?

So I am happy living with the locals and have been making some good acquaintances who may someday become friends. Almost all I have encountered have been very friendly, helpful and welcoming to their country...

By the way... I have read many positive reports about life for western ex-pats in Equador. It looks to be affordable and also so close to USA to be convenient too...

I just now read your comments about living in the Philippines - Pakikisama? They sum up my own experiences fairly completely...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I agree with your comments 100%, Softail.

My comments were to address someone who seems to prefer the western life and culture. I actually have no idea what his true or total aspirations may be regarding living in a country foreign to his origins...

Davao City, where I live, has most of the conveniences of anywhere in USA. However, things are not as "convenient" always. It can take more than a day just to find and buy ingredients to make a western style meal. It can be an adventure all on its own. That's just the flow of life here. I am okay with this and enjoy the slower (mostly) way things go. Not everyone can deal with this. 

Personally, I did not move here to be associated with or  be close to other Americans (or Canadians, eh?). If so, I would move back to Seattle, or Chicago or ??? USA?

So I am happy living with the locals and have been making some good acquaintances who may someday become friends. Almost all I have encountered have been very friendly, helpful and welcoming to their country...

By the way... I have read many positive reports about life for western ex-pats in Equador. It looks to be affordable and also so close to USA to be convenient too...

I just now read your comments about living in the Philippines - Paksisma? sorry... I cannot read that title from here... I will look again and try to correct...

I am sure that Ecuador is very affordable and such. When I lived there, they were still taking heads a few miles up the Guayas river and were readily  available in the town markets

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, softail said:

they were still taking heads a few miles up the Guayas river and were readily  available in the town markets

Taking heads?

softail
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Taking heads?

A shrunken head is a severed and specially prepared human head that is used for trophy, ritual, or trade purposes.

Headhunting has occurred in many regions of the world, but the practice of headshrinking has only been documented in the northwestern region of the Amazon rainforest.[1] Jivaroan peopleswhich includes the Shuar, Achuar, Huambisa and Aguaruna tribes from Ecuador and Peru are known to have shrunken human heads.

Shuar people call a shrunken head a tsantsa,[2] also transliterated tzantza. Many tribe leaders would show off their heads to scare enemies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrunken_head

• Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic