Aircon cleaning

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/11/2021 at 10:59 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I have never heard of a tenant paying for it before but might be different here and yes it should be stated in the lease.

Slightly different, but for my former rental house in Florida, I wrote into the lease a paragraph about the tenant being responsible for changing the filter every X months.  That was after one of my first tenants never changed the filter and clogged up the evaporator coils on the inside unit.  To clean that correctly requires pulling out the evaporator coils and giving them an acid bath, which then reduces their lifespan.

I was an absentee landlord, but I would have been onsite I could taken pictures of the AC unit when they moved in in order to justify deducting from their deposit at the end.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I was an absentee landlord, but I would have been onsite I could taken pictures of the AC unit when they moved in in order to justify deducting from their deposit at the end.

This is just a window type which sits in a hole n the wall so to clean anything other than the front filters requires removing the unit.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think it also depends on how well a lease contract is written.

I am convinced it depends, to a large extent, on how well the landlord likes the tenant.  For example take the last house I rented in Dumaguete.  Upon moving out I want to see the landlord and asked for my deposit back.  He said:  "Dave, I will give it back to you because you have been a great tenant.  But please do not tell "...." because she has been a pain in my neck and I do not plan to give hers back."  (Name of landlord and tenant withheld as some in Duma will know them.)  I got mine.  She did not get hers.

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am convinced it depends, to a large extent, on how well the landlord likes the tenant.  For example take the last house I rented in Dumaguete.  Upon moving out I want to see the landlord and asked for my deposit back.  He said:  "Dave, I will give it back to you because you have been a great tenant.  But please do not tell "...." because she has been a pain in my neck and I do not plan to give hers back."  (Name of landlord and tenant withheld as some in Duma will know them.)  I got mine.  She did not get hers.

If there is a lease then couldn't "She" make a complaint if she left the place in good condition.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jollygoodfellow said:

If there is a lease then couldn't "She" make a complaint if she left the place in good condition.

Perhaps she could.  But she didn't.  Sometimes it is best to pick your battles.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

We got our deposit back minus the A/C cleaning. I was prepared to right it off since the landlord lives in New Zealand now there's not much I could do. They had their former maid go through the house to check for damage. He wanted to pay me in bitcoin at first but my wife wanted none of that.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
mrbillone
Posted
Posted

Yes, I was just hit with a required aircon cleaning at 1500 pesos each 3- 4500 pesos. I was like WTF? And I'm required to pay for cleaning every 6 months! They mentioned it in the contract as aircons being checked by authorized agent every 6 months but no mention as to paying for the cleaning.

I've decided to take my contract to an attorney so when it's time to get my deposit back I'll have a little leverage. I'm in a high rise condo in Makati. 

4 months ago the stove top blew up and the breaker defaulted. They have still to fix/replace the unit, but provided a portable one until the owner can visually inspect it in a couple months! My refrigerator would not keep the temperature near the 40 degree mark causing me to have to discard food. I went ahead and bought a new unit myself, but now the owner is wanting me to use the defective unit. Lessons learned for my next lease. I think in fact it may be a good idea to have an attorney look over the lease b4 signing in the future. I've done pretty well adapting to the Philippines... patience and bending over...but every once in a while I get thrown a curveball.   

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, mrbillone said:

Yes, I was just hit with a required aircon cleaning at 1500 pesos each 3- 4500 pesos. I was like WTF? And I'm required to pay for cleaning every 6 months! They mentioned it in the contract as aircons being checked by authorized agent every 6 months but no mention as to paying for the cleaning.

I've decided to take my contract to an attorney so when it's time to get my deposit back I'll have a little leverage. I'm in a high rise condo in Makati. 

4 months ago the stove top blew up and the breaker defaulted. They have still to fix/replace the unit, but provided a portable one until the owner can visually inspect it in a couple months! My refrigerator would not keep the temperature near the 40 degree mark causing me to have to discard food. I went ahead and bought a new unit myself, but now the owner is wanting me to use the defective unit. Lessons learned for my next lease. I think in fact it may be a good idea to have an attorney look over the lease b4 signing in the future. I've done pretty well adapting to the Philippines... patience and bending over...but every once in a while I get thrown a curveball.   

Maybe that's the going rate in Manilla - we pay 800php per unit here in Iloilo for cleaning.  6 months is a reasonable timescale although we get ours done every 9 as we live on a quiet street with next to no traffic.  

As for seeing an attorney about your contract and deposit - that may be a case of throwing good money after bad if I'm being honest.  You already agreed to the terms of the contract and, as the little guy, you will always be on a hiding to nothing here as for the vague points of the contract i.e. who pays for the A/C cleaning?  Probably best to file it under lesson learned.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

- we pay 800php per unit here in Iloilo for cleaning. 

Same as us here in Dumaguete

• Like 1

mrbillone
Posted
Posted

Hi, No seeing the attorney to make sure I'm a little covered when it comes time to fight for my deposit back. I have a 106K deposit. I prepaid a 12 month lease -53K a month at move in. Thanks for the info.