Looks like the Philippines is reopening

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Whereas, I will have to read it several times to see if they mention open to tourists 

It says visa free countries which mean tourist from those countries like in the good old days

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

As its been mentioned, anything could change. Don't pack your bags yet. So this might mean all the certain type we dont want here come back. I know that certainly does not apply to many.

I think I will start a website or forum where those who arrive back after almost 2 years can say their experience and if their relationship survived. Things like GF looking after cousins baby etc :smile:

• Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines is easing border controls and is finally allowing tourists to enter the country.

Starting Tuesday, February 1, the Philippine government is temporarily suspending its risk classification list for countries, in favor of allowing fully vaccinated individuals to enter the country:

February 1 – Returning fully vaccinated Filipinos, regardless of where they come from
February 10 – Fully vaccinated foreigners from visa-free countries
Acting Presidential Spokesman and Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said Friday, January 28, that foreigners could enter the Philippines for either tourism or business purposes.

Both returning Filipinos and foreigners who are fully vaccinated are no longer required to go through mandatory quarantine. They only need a negative RT-PCR test done within 48 hours before their departure from abroad.

Nograles also said that those who will still be undergoing quarantine by February 1 can “avail themselves of the new guidelines” and come home from quarantine facilities.

Full story

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

From the 'Official' BI Facebook page today:

28 January 2022
PRESS RELEASE
PH to open borders to foreign tourists
MANILA, Philippines—The Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced that the country will be opening its borders to the entry of foreign tourists starting February 10.
In an advisory, BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said that, in compliance with the resolution from the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) issued on Thursday, fully vaccinated nationals of non-visa required countries under Executive Order No. 408 s. 1960 as amended, shall be allowed to enter the Philippines.
A total of 157 countries are considered visa free, including the United States of America, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Canada, UK, Malaysia, and Singapore.
Arriving tourists are required to present a passport valid for at least 6 months, and the required proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Accepted proofs of vaccination are World Health Organization International Certificates of Vaccination and Prophylaxis, VaxCertPH, or national/state digital certificate of the foreign government which has accepted VaxCertPH under a reciprocal arrangement unless otherwise permitted by the IATF-MEID.
Additionally, according to the resolution, starting February 1, arriving passengers must submit a negative RT-PCR test valid for 48 hours prior to departure from country of origin.
Those fully vaccinated are no longer required to undergo facility-based quarantine, but shall self-monitor for 7 days. On the other hand, unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, and those whose vaccination status cannot be confirmed shall undergo the required quarantine protocols as implemented by the Bureau of Quarantine and the local government units.
Minors are exempted from providing proof of vaccination.
“The opening of our borders to foreign tourists is a welcome development,” said Morente. “We see this as a giant leap towards the rebound of the tourism and international travel sector,” he added.
  • Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

This is going to be a very interesting social and economic event that will unfold.

Vloggers have been sensationalizing the eventual re-opening for quite some time with predictions of something amounting to a 'Gold Rush' scenario.  They may be basing that on all the comments from their subscribers' laments and desires to : resume personal relationships, to escape the co-vid induced social stresses of their home  countries, to escape this year's harsher  northern  hemisphere's winter weather, etc.

My  hope is  that there will not be an  occurrence of price gouging to make  up for lost revenues during the  plague like seems to be happening in  some countries according to economists like Richard Wolf. Reasons other than greed are usually offered to the public.

Of particular interest will be air travel prices and of course accommodation prices in the foreign travel market. 

You would think that people would be content to have things return to the old status quo, but I doubt that it will play out that way.

Any speculative thoughts?  I think by now we are all wary of putting on rose colored lenses.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Dont forget the LGU's actually decide who comes onto their turf... they can still state that vaccinated foreign people not allowed as they arent resident in that LGU. I beleive Palawan currently has that restriction... residents only allowed to visit there.

Weve seen throughout this pandemic that LGU's really control what goes on , and the Federal govt... much less so.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

Now that they’ve lifted the restrictions and if the airfares are still reasonable then I might be going to Thailand in March with the AM. It’s a dream for her and a balikbayen visa for me. Lol. But I’ll just wait to see how it plays out before I book any flights. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Pretty happy we found a rental house today,

Good Job mate, where?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Good Job mate, where?

Over behind City Mall mate, 1 year lease.  Gives us some breathing space with regards to building or buying. 

• Like 4