13 A Permanent Approved; now some questions for the veterans :)

Shol
Posted
Posted

Now that I have a shiny new ACR and stamp in my passport, I wanted to clarify a few things for myself and in the future.

1. ECC Clearance -  If I haven't left the country in a 6 months the website seems to only state "if you are leaving for good" as a requirement for generally all immigrant visas but it doesn't specify 13A visas.   I won't "ever" be leaving for good but perhaps for a while as I attend to business in Canada for sometime so not even sure what would happen when I was leaving.   Would this be a requirement what have your experiences been so far with this one if it has been applicable to you.

2. 13A Back and Forth -  How does this work.  I will definitely be going back and forth with my wife and want to avoid having issues where they challenge me for leaving the country, etc.  Will the question me on this?  I will be landing my wife in Canada in 6 months or so and we will stay for a while.  I know a lot of folks bounce between residences and countries just wanted to avoid opening myself up to unwanted scrutiny, etc.   I am a bit worried when we arrive at the airport on our first "landing" and they see all her immigration papers they might challenge me on why I have a 13A.  Or perhaps I am overthinking it but I am just worried on how things go here lol :)   Will I ever be challenged if I come to the Philippines on my own also?

3.  Travel Tax - I know that locals have to pay the travel tax.  I assume that as a 13A visa holder I would have to pay this as well.  can anyone confirm?

I think that's it for now, if I think of some more stuff then I will reply here.  Thanks ahead of time :)

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Well first of all congratulations on your 13A. In reference to your first question, you don't need a ECC to leave. But you will be asked if you plan to return. The answer to question number two, no problems going back and forth. When Immigration stamps your passport on return they will make a note on it that you are a 13A holder. You won't be challenged if you are on your own. People have had their passport stamped as a tourist and that will cause problems. As for the 3rd question, yes you have to pay the travel tax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shol
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the response it's appreciated :)

I forgot to ask, can I use the local/non foreigner queues for immigration or would I still need to use the one specified only for foreigners when lining up to give your passport and they "check you out".

Thanks!

Edited by Shol

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Personally I would use the foreigner line unless I was directed by a immigration officer to use the local line. I rather be safe than sorry.

• Like 2

skippyscage
Posted
Posted (edited)

you need an ECC-B to leave as it also serves as an "entry permit" for when you return - it's also basally a check that you have no outstanding issues etc before you leave the country. 

I just got mine last week and I asked about the outbound PH exit tax for PH citizens and Visa holders at the airport, and I was told that the ECC-B included that, which I'm skeptical of, but I'll find out end of March.

The ECC-B cost 2880PHP and apparently the cost reduces on your 2nd exit.

I had to show proof of travel (ticket), ACR-I card and Passport and that was it - no photos, no finger prints, and no OR of annual report which is mentioned all over the internet.

(this was done in Iloilo BI)

You might want to talk to your local BI office, because as you know, things change and things can be different at different offices.

Edited by skippyscage
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, skippyscage said:

you need an ECC-B to leave as it also serves as an "entry permit" for when you return - it's basally a check that you have no outstanding issues etc before you leave. 

I just got mine last week and I asked about the outbound PH exit tax for PH citizens and Visa holders at the airport, and I was told that the ECC-B included that, which I'm skeptical of, but I'll find out end of March.

The ECC-B cost 2880PHP and apparently the cost reduces on your 2nd exit.

I had to show proof of travel (ticket), ACR-I card and Passport and that was it - no photos, no finger prints, and no OR of annual report which is mentioned all over the internet.

(this was done in Iloilo BI)

You might want to talk to your local BI office, because as you know, things change and things can be different at different offices.

I'm in Iloilo too and was advised by the local BI that I needed an ECC to exit even under a 13A but that was 4 years or so ago.  They said it could be done at the airport rather than the office.

skippyscage
Posted
Posted (edited)

yes it can be done at the airport, but who knows how long that line might be - I played safe and did it local when I had time - it took about 20 minutes

Edited by skippyscage
  • Like 2

Shol
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tips folks.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm in Iloilo too and was advised by the local BI that I needed an ECC to exit even under a 13A but that was 4 years or so ago.  They said it could be done at the airport rather than the office.

I wonder what would happen at the airport when your name (actually my very common name) pops up an alert.   When I applied for my 13A I discovered that a man with my full name was wanted in connection with a homicide.  He also had 5 or 6 other charges in the list.   Had to toss out the pants I was wearing because there was no way to iron out the pucker in the back. :Caught: 

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, as others said, as you are now a permanent resident, you need ECC-B.  It is 2880 (that is actually 4 or 5 fees) and does not include travel tax.  Last time I checked, there were very few offices that could do ECC-B and I got all of mine at the airport.  It would be good if more offices could do them.

I seem to recall that the ECC-B is good for a year, so if you leave more than once in 12 months, you might not have to pay it twice.  I never had the chance to test that, so I'm not sure about it.  Otherwise, there is no reduction for 2nd time, etc.  I have paid p2880 3 times now.

No problem going in and out quite often on 13a, but you need to check about what is staying out too long.  There might be issues if you stay out too long, since you are a permanent resident.

Travel tax is one of the bad things about 13a and other immigrant visas.  You pay 1620 per adult and 810 for a kid.  Every trip.  You can have it included in your ticket sometimes.  You can get it online but only at the adult rate.  I have kids so I have to get it at the airport to get the 810 discount.

• Like 1