Ideal place where to buy lot in the Philippines?

Crispy
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Kingpin said:

All reasons why PH condos are also overpriced, both sale price and maintenance fee, as the only residence foreigners can own. It's a gold mine for big Filipino business, and what's good for business generally isn't altered in by politicians. In the city it's rare to find new housing developments happening, there's no more space. With condos, they can just buy a lot, build up, profit, repeat until the skyline is littered with skyscrapers and the traffic is heavy until midnight.

I agree with you completely. Condo's and apartments in the Philippines are overpriced dog boxes.  And with the proliferation of them, Manila and Cebu will soon end up looking like Singapore and Hong Kong. Ugly! You get way better bang for your buck buying a condo or apartment in Thailand than you do in the Philippines. When I was living in Pattaya some years back, the general rule of thumb was AUD $50K for a one bedroom and AUD $100K for a two bedroom apartment. Might sound expensive, BUT they were huge (1BR 20 to 30sqm) by comparison to say a typical one bedroom in the Phil's, which will be less than 15sqm. The Thai ones were also beautifully finished and often fully furnished. Yep, traffic in Cebu is going to end up like Manila, if it hasn't already and as you say, you won't be able to drive/go anywhere until midnight or later.

• Like 1

Crispy
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The Philippines has some of the best Photoshoppers in the world with relation to tourist destinations and real estate....

I agree wholeheartedly. I've yet to see real estate pics that do justice to the real lot, or house. Most pics are taken with mobile phones though. However, it's good to see the more astute wealthier agent or broker are now using drones, which give you a much truer picture of the location, neighbours etc.

Typical example of proflific photoshoppers.. My Mrs spends more time photoshopping her pictures than she does on posting them on FB. It takes forever! Lol

• Haha 1

Crispy
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Crispy said:

I agree with you completely. Condo's and apartments in the Philippines are overpriced dog boxes.  And with the proliferation of them, Manila and Cebu will soon end up looking like Singapore and Hong Kong. Ugly! You get way better bang for your buck buying a condo or apartment in Thailand than you do in the Philippines. When I was living in Pattaya some years back, the general rule of thumb was AUD $50K for a one bedroom and AUD $100K for a two bedroom apartment. Might sound expensive, BUT they were huge (1BR 20 to 30sqm) by comparison to say a typical one bedroom in the Phil's, which will be less than 15sqm. The Thai ones were also beautifully finished and often fully furnished. Yep, traffic in Cebu is going to end up like Manila, if it hasn't already and as you say, you won't be able to drive/go anywhere until midnight or later.

I forgot to mention. By comparison, a low level average one bedroom condo or partment in the Philippines is going to cost between AUD $100K to 150K and that's in an average location and with a basic fitout. It's nothing for the better class one bedroom units to go for AUD $200K. Those prices are astronomical is anyones currency.

Crispy
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The South Expressway Toll Road permits access to world class Asian Hospital, except on weekends when this road is jammed with motorists.

Are these traffic jams beach goers? There's a load of beach resorts all the way from Cavite to Batangas and beyond. I never realised it's gotten that bad these days.

I recall going to Lucena City years ago, then going to Padre Burgos and accross to a delightful set of islands close by called Pagbilao Grande ond Pagbilao Chico.

Back in those days there was light traffic on the motorway and San Pablo was not even a city back then. I supose the expansion of Manila southwards beyond Laguna

and the swallowing up of land in Cavite has meant that Filipino home buyers are being driven further and further away from Metro Manila? Once the Cavite LRT is

completed it will create an even bigger housing boom in the region.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Crispy said:

Are these traffic jams beach goers? There's a load of beach resorts all the way from Cavite to Batangas and beyond. I never realised it's gotten that bad these days.

Yes.  For Metro Manila residents, a popular area to purchase a weekend home is towards Tagaytay.  The higher elevation means cooler weather and it's relatively close to Manila.  The result is weekend traffic jams.  On the other hand, Metro Manila is relatively empty meaning, this is a good time to be in the city.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Crispy has Bayawan been on your radar. Never lived there but spent many enjoyable days, was impressed the mayor has moved all government departments about 5 KM out of the city, freed up the chaos. Still down town is bit congested with trikes.

Beaches are OK if one walks a little, lovey sunsets with a beer on the boulevard nice road there. No idea prices of land or health care, oh also a fantastic plaza in town.  Not that far from Dumaguete.

Crispy
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Crispy has Bayawan been on your radar. Never lived there but spent many enjoyable days, was impressed the mayor has moved all government departments about 5 KM out of the city, freed up the chaos. Still down town is bit congested with trikes.

Beaches are OK if one walks a little, lovey sunsets with a beer on the boulevard nice road there. No idea prices of land or health care, oh also a fantastic plaza in town.  Not that far from Dumaguete.

My Mrs is from Bais City. I believe we went via Bayawan City on the way to Sipalay and Bacolod and stopped at Bayawan City one time to buy beach towels because someone forgot to bring them. Lol

It seemed to be a fairly sizable city with quite a few department stores, Lee Plaza being one I recall. I've seen some nice looking rural land with great views online and on our way accross from the east coast which would be fantastic for farming. Something I'd like to do as a side gig as I'm heavily into hydroponics. I believe there's a few Expat's living in the area? I saw online, that someone was saying the boulevard is the longest in the Philippines? You're right, the road accross the mountains is fairly good making it not that far from Dumaguete. Worth considering if the right lot can be found.

Crispy
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Freebie said:

Plus the somewhat different situation where only Filipinos can own land. Ive bought houses in Malaysia and Singapore and condos in HK and Shanghai and  my nationality was never an issue. never once .

Nearly bought a house in Perth long ago and again nationality not an issue. If they ever allowed all nationalities to buy here think how much higher demand for land might be

I agree, whilst it does seem retrictive, opening up the country to 100% foreign ownership of property will blow the market sky high in the Phils. 

It makes made me wonder, how Chinese have been able to gain a foothold in the Philippines when they have always been classed as Aliens, just like us?

Is it because they changed their Chinese names, or obtained citizenship? I'm curious as to how they have managed to circumvent the system for so long.

It should be also, because we are married to Filipinas, we are entitled to own property by way of marriage.

At least immigration has some entitlements in that regard.

I have a question, maybe you can't answer it, but somebody else can?

As part of our Reirement Visa process i.e. local investment, are we still allowed to own property as part of those visa conditions?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Crispy said:

how Chinese have been able to gain a foothold in the Philippines

Many ways, but here is one of them.

In our area, we had (pre pandemic) tons, just tons of POGOS operating here. Groups of chinese, with an interpreter actually walked door to door asking folks if they wanted to sell. "They" bought lots of properties. Once construction started (mostly condo type buildings for POGO employees) the posted construction permit always listed a Filipino as the "owner". A buddy of mine runs a large construction supply shop and among his circle is is an open secret that the chinese "buy" a partner.

Once the covid exodus hit, all construction stopped. Only 1 of 4 projects has shown any activity since.

Freebie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yes.  For Metro Manila residents, a popular area to purchase a weekend home is towards Tagaytay. 

The traffic from Manila to Tagaytay starts at about 7am and just continues non stop. Perhaps even worse on public holidays.

Took me and some friends 2 hours from Nuvali the last public holiday.

We wont do it again. Was just a long slow frustrating crawl. for all of the 20kms that it is. ...100s of cars wasting gas... " Arent we  all having a lovely time.. are we there yet "