Noisy roosters and kareoke battling neighbours

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Colsie said:

How did we go from noisy roosters and kareoke to this... :hystery:

From what I understand about foreigners being murdered in the Philippines, in the most part it is carried out by or on behalf of, someone they know, girlfriends, family members, employees etc...this is born out again in what you have written 

And in many cases there must have been some red flags.  Or folk not knowing how to keep under the radar.   

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Colsie said:

Let's digress 

Thank you for your opinion although it differs from mine and my poultry 1+ decade living in both city and province. 

It's logically to think that a well run gated community with active security day and more importantly night would be a safe place to live. 

That being said, it's also logical that big cities have a higher crime rate, with car jacking, holdups etc... 

Foreigners are often targeted by criminals and are therefore places were foreigners frequent more like cities and resorts... 

If you use the link below and scroll down you will be able to read a archival list of several hundred foreigners that have been murdered here in the Philippines over what looks like a decade. If you look at the list of names and places they were murder, most were in the big cities of Manila, Cebu and tourist hot spot of Angeles... 

https://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Philippines/sub5_6f/entry-3910.html

I read through the list of murdered foreigners. There were a few cases in which a suspect was detained, but no mention of any convictions or sentencing. In 20+ years of checking several online Philippines news sources almost every day I've not seen any mention of convictions or sentencing. Are such things just not reported?

• Like 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I read through the list of murdered foreigners. There were a few cases in which a suspect was detained, but no mention of any convictions or sentencing. In 20+ years of checking several online Philippines news sources almost every day I've not seen any mention of convictions or sentencing. Are such things just not reported?

Well there were three fine brave folk who accosted an ex marine ( drunk) as he was walking to his subdivision in Urdeneta. They felt disrespected , and so got out of their car and basically knifed him. Right at the security gate. They were convicted.

However on appeal they were released thanks to a judge who ruled the cctv of the killing inadmissible.  The fine brave men enjoyed freedom for a few years till finally, the long slow process of justice took a turn, and the judge who had made the ruling was required to explain his sudden wealth after overturning the original case.

The guys ( and the judge ! )  were re-arrested and I think all were jailed .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Colsie said:

Foreigners are often targeted by criminals and are therefore places were foreigners frequent more like cities and resorts...

+ less secure targets are often targeted by criminals are therefore places that are easy targets like in the province = foreigners in the province are, by far, the most vulnerable.

Cool site but for it to mean anything you'd have to compare the number of foreigners in cities, compared to the province. Once you do that you'll find the rate of crime is far less in the city.  Only 13 for all of Cebu.

It's logically to think that a well run gated community with active security day and more importantly night would be a safe place to live. 

More than safe, it's worry-free, whether you're home or not. In the province you're not just a target, you're a helpless target. Any quarrel, conflict, disagreement, misunderstandings, insults intended or even not, everyone knows exactly where you live, they know you're unarmed, and they know they can walk right up to your door.  Although it helps if your bedroom is a fortified bunker. :laugh:

Edited by Kingpin
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Although it helps if your bedroom is a fortified bunker.

If one thinks like a Filipino bad boy, one will think of climbing a tree or anything that will get you access to the roof.  Lift up a piece of tin and you're in.  A bit noisy, but it works.  The dogs will notice and go "Roof!  Roof!  Roof!"  (Yes it sounds like a joke but I couldn't make this shit up) 

temp.jpg Image of a break in through the roof of Prince Warehouse in Biliran just to make the point.

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kingpin said:

+ less secure targets are often targeted by criminals are therefore places that are easy targets like in the province = foreigners in the province are, by far, the most vulnerable.

Cool site but for it to mean anything you'd have to compare the number of foreigners in cities, compared to the province. Once you do that you'll find the rate of crime is far less in the city.  Only 13 for all of Cebu.

More than safe, it's worry-free, whether you're home or not. In the province you're not just a target, you're a helpless target. Any quarrel, conflict, disagreement, misunderstandings, insults intended or even not, everyone knows exactly where you live, they know you're unarmed, and they know they can walk right up to your door.  Although it helps if your bedroom is a fortified bunker. :laugh:

A friend of mine in the city lives on a secure gated community and yet one night while they were asleep thieves broke into his place and stole, not one, but three bicycles. I guess his security must be sleeping at night or worse maybe they help steal them, but no, that wouldn't happen in Philippines, would it... 

It's good you can sleep easy knowing that your safety is in the hands of a highly paid (250 pesos/night? ) security team that patrols the estate vigilantly every 60 minutes or so... 

:56da64b24b45d_36_1_501:

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 3

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If one thinks like a Filipino bad boy, one will think of climbing a tree or anything that will get you access to the roof.  Lift up a piece of tin and you're in.  A bit noisy, but it works.  The dogs will notice and go "Roof!  Roof!  Roof!"  (Yes it sounds like a joke but I couldn't make this shit up) 

temp.jpg Image of a break in through the roof of Prince Warehouse in Biliran just to make the point.

My roof is 6" thick reinforced concrete, they'd have to bring a jackhammer, oxy/acetylene bottles or 6" grinder :mocking:

Then they would find no money or valuables inside the house, apart from my old bicycle which I bought in 2005... 

Edited by Colsie
  • Love it 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Although it helps if your bedroom is a fortified bunker. :laugh:

Speaking now as a retired engineer, I can address this by saying that the whole house needs to be fortified. Not specifically for criminals, but rather the conditions that any building in the Philippines may be subjected to. These loads include from severe typhoons, earthquakes and tsunamis or tidal surge...

Further, not only the design of the building needs considered but also the correct material grades and construction methods. 

I personally would be concerned about buying and living in a house here in the Philippines without doing due diligence. and hiring reputable civil engineer surveyed it first. 

By being on site 24/7 and overseeing construction certainly gives me piece of mind. 

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Colsie said:

A friend of mine in the city lives on a secure gated community and yet one night while they were asleep thieves broke into his place and stole, not one, but three bicycles.

Which "gated community"?

6 hours ago, Colsie said:

Then they would find no money or valuables inside the house, apart from my old bicycle which I bought in 2005... 

Brings up the point, if there's nothing worth stealing in the province, there's not much need for security there.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

The things worth stealing are done by people invited into the home by the owners, maids are the main offenders, service people who disguise themselves as technicians who don’t have a clue what they are talking about, plumbers who don’t know shite  from piss, the list goes on and on of life in the province.

I have learned that the next time our car breaks down to tow it out to the main thoroughfare and get someone to have a look at it there, no way should anyone come to our property, least their eyes brighten with dreams of retirement after they milk me like a cow.

• Sad 1