Best Method to Stay in the Philippines - Marriage or SRRV

snowy-owl
Posted
Posted

I am a 53 year old Canadian that needs to stay in the Philippines once I am there because once I leave I have nothing to return to due to the housing crisis. If for any reason I was asked to leave I would have to return to Canada and stay at a homeless shelter. I am not poor and have an income of  $2682.56 per month. My plan was to arrive in Cebu and stay for up to 20 months and then apply for an srrv classic as when I am 65 I receive a lump sum payment of about $50,000-$60,000. I would then have enough for the required $20,000 deposit I would need.

or

I could marry my girlfriend (age 44) soon as I get there and apply for the 13A visa and hope we have a good relationship and I make it through the probationary process. I just don't like the thought of the marriage process because of the paperwork involved. We both love each other and I never see us having any bad times that would see me forced to end it. I do however worry about always being accused of something if someone is not happy as her family can be very abusive to each other when money is involved.

thoughts? marriage or srrv..............

we would reside in Bislig or where-ever our relationship would last without interference from family and friends.

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, snowy-owl said:

we would reside in Bislig or where-ever our relationship would last without interference from family and friends.

Welcome snowy-owl.  Good advice from the previous posters.  Given the family situation, you might want to try the "two island rule" -- stay at least two islands from your lady's family.  Many members here have made it clear from the beginning, or later on down the road, that they are not walking ATMs.

• Like 5

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Your wife must facilitate your 13a (marriage visa) and there is a 1 year probationary period which the wife can withdraw during the probationary period. Happened to an Expat i know because his wife caught him cheating. He's still married but on a tourist visa. There are some Expats who downgrade from the 13A to a tourist Visa and apply for the SRRV.  You alone control your destiny with the SRRV and can stay single. Consider the likelihood that you may find another besides your present girlfriend/future wife which happens frequently here. The SRRV provides that flexibility.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Are you former military?  This can change the amount of SRRV deposit.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, snowy-owl said:

thoughts?

Find a girl with little to no family. Then in the order of preference

1) SRRV Courtesy (Military etc)

2) 13a

3) SRRV

if you do find a good one and want to get married and reside in the Philippines, there's no good reason to get an SRRV and 10 to 20 thousand good reasons not to. 

• Like 1

P_X
Posted
Posted

Homeless shelter if you return? Your 2.5k+ could cover other options. 

I won't be redundant, the other guys said all the logical alternatives to returning home