Wife built a new house. What will we need when we see it for the first time in July?

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted

We're going there for 3 weeks.  I think we have some dishes and furniture.  The small things are more what I'm interested in.  Our new house is decent, good AC, but way out in the province of Bohol.  Nearest town is Sagbayan and it's 16 miles away.   So far I've thought of:
DEET mosquito spray.
3 prong to 2 prong adapters for laptop chargers and such.
Some tools including a cordless drill  (I'm a fixer).
We have an untested deep well and also a hot/cold water dispenser (that takes bottles?  Not sure.).  Will I want a filter?  Or maybe distiller?  I've heard good things about UV sanitization also.  I mostly don't want the amoeba stomach crap.  I've had it twice.  2nd time learned I can cure it by chugging a pint of Tanduay, but that won't work for my teenage kids. 
Backup generator?  I want solar, but that won't help when an Odette throws a tree onto the solar panels.
I do computers and networks and electronics VERY well if that matters.  

Thank you for any ideas!  We don't leave for 6 weeks.  I need to figure out what goodies I can pack in our 4 extra 50 pound bags.  Will I need to pay taxes/customs on stuff I bring over?  So many questions...LOL

Here's a pic of the outside of the house  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WxRsGGmwyihdE3UHfDUViDBcAZmFOPLe/view?usp=drive_link
Here's a video tour of some of the inside  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WqJJvbDMxUBWxZ-flXxZWGo3hMb4e6Xj/view?usp=drive_link

- Joe

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

I would only suggest a good power backup + regulator for electronics. The power in Philippines can be all over the place voltage wise or none at all more often than we would like. A quality generator would be too large to bring with you.

How very interesting that you your wife and two teen children are moving to rural Bohol. Take it you all have visited some in the past and that your wife is Filipina. I hope you don't mind sharing your adventures living in the Philippines for the first time. Should be educational and entertaining.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome Joe.  Your water dispenser will take 5 gallon jugs.  The usual vendor fee is 20-30 peso per bottle.  Some vendors will do free delivery for X number of bottles.  We never drink local water, only bottled.  If I were to invest in a purifier it would be reverse osmosis plus UV.  A good set of kitchen knives and flatware.  As a "fixer" you need to be aware that it can difficult to find quality tools here.  I would bring, ship in a BB box, a good supply of screwdrivers, pliers, channel lock,  open/box wrenches, socket set, chisels, hand plane, etc.  Also bring a supply of wire nuts, size 12 & 14, because electricians here always seem to twist and tape.   I expect other handymen on the forum will have suggestions for additional items that can be difficult or expensive to buy here.  If you haven't already done so, consider setting up an account with Amazon.  They currently have free shipping, and often no import fees, to the Philippines on many items if the order is greater than $49 and less than, I think, $200.

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I am currently on my fifth week of a six week visit traipsing through the boonies of Zamboanga del Norte, Mindanao on foot. I have yet to get stung by a mosquito. Sun screen is number one on my list and don't cheap out. Get the good stuff. Make sure the AC is operational. I spent 6 days trying to sleep without AC before I had a hole knocked through my father in laws wall and had AC installed. :-)

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Generator for sure.  You might need to get that in Cebu City for better selection and take it back on the ferry.

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Were you not there to supervise during construction? Be prepared for nasty surprises. Among these could be:

Not enough electric outlets.

Light switches not consistently wired, random on/off positions.

Electrical wiring done with too-thin wire creating fire hazards.

Bathroom floors with drain BUT perfectly level so water doesn't flow toward drain.

Leaky roof.

Are the doors, shelves etc termite-resistant wood?

This list is just what I could think of off the top of my head. There are a large number of other possibilities.

Welcome to the forum. You have chosen wisely.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Bring money.  I tried buying everything before departure since my wife and I were going to the Philippines by cruise ship from Los Angeles.  Weight was less important, but this was 52 years ago.  It turned out many items were available in Manila.  My close friends gifted us with a waterbed as a joke.  This was popular at the time, but absolutely useless.  I ended up selling it.  Furniture made with composite materials started warping due to the high humidity.  We ended up buying new ones locally made with solid wood.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Since you're remote I'm going to suggest putting together a decent first aid kit and adding paracetamol and aspirin to it.

You may or may not be able to get internet there, Globe at Home is a possiblity even in the province some places otherwise it'll be some form of Satellite internet and possibly the same for TV.

Many small towns in the provinces don't have easy access to Propane for cooking, check your nearest supplier (unless you want to cook on charcoal or wood).

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Are the doors, shelves etc termite-resistant wood?

One of the houses I lived in (on Biliran) had a good, solid, termite-resistant door.  Solid core.  No one was kicking through that door.  Foreigner-built home and he was mighty proud of it.  But the door fell off eventually.  The builder must have gone cheap on the door frame as the termites ate away all the wood near the hinges and they broke free.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2