Wife built a new house. What will we need when we see it for the first time in July?

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You can buy a 220/240 to 120 inverter here.  The chargers do not draw much current, so you would only need a small one that are fairly inexpensive.

Very nice.  My wife bought some beast inverter/converter thing for her mom when she first got to USA and started sending boxes of spam and electronics (and I was learning more about supporting family).  She said it died right away and told me they are all junk, the power down there kills them.  But something small like that on a UPS should charge up an 18v 4Ah battery fine.  Thank you for this!  My used but nice Rigid hammer drill 975 in/lbs of torque with 2 4 AH batteries is back on the table!

Edited by JoeLansing

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, JoeLansing said:

During my previous 2 trips there I really liked running around at night eating street food and drinking San Miguel in Cebu and Tubigon. 

Hey Joe....Do you seriously state you enjoy eating Philippine street food???? Perhaps getting mixed up with Thailand.

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, RBM said:

Hey Joe....Do you seriously state you enjoy eating Philippine street food???? Perhaps getting mixed up with Thailand.

Yes!  I used to drink San Miguel Ice and wander around at night.  I'd walk up to some street vendor and they'd try and play scare the white guy with samples.  After I'd eaten their chicken guts, chicken heads, BBQ pork blood, on and on, they finally figured out out I was having a free dinner, then they were sad :).  But, seriously I'll normally pass on the guts and heads and blood.  But give me some Tempura fish or shrimp, or normal chicken parts, or boneless bangus and I'm lovin it.  Many times I'd buy some nice fish at the mall or wherever, and bring it to the street vendor and they would cook it for me.  Oh, and I also like tasty 14-16 day old balut if I have some salt to go with it.  Yum!

The only food down there that truly scares me is their street hot dogs.  Priced less than chicken guts.  What's in them?

Don't ask me about the time my co worker in USA said "I'll try anything once" and I went to the local big asian store and accidently bought like 6-8 day old RAW balut (which both of us ate).   Also my wife got me snacking on dried anchovies from the asian store. Tiny fish, dried, salted, heads and all in a bag.  At work I'd be munching them, then have to go work on someone's PC at their desk.  They'd look at me and go "Have you been eating cat food?".  I finally quit eating those due to complaints from nearby cubicle workers.  

- Joe

Edited by JoeLansing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JoeLansing said:

Yes!  I used to drink San Miguel Ice and wander around at night. 

Same, I still enjoy the street food on occasion.. The novelty has worn off a bit but it's ok. 

• Like 1

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted

To get this back on Living Costs topic.  I hope I can find one of their little dirty loud native disco's as they call them in the BFE area I move to.  They are fun and cheap!  Everyone wants to dance with the goofy white guy.  You just gotta remember if it's got an apple, it's got a banana.  :)

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

To get this back on Living Costs topic.  I hope I can find one of their little dirty loud native disco's as they call them in the BFE area I move to.  They are fun and cheap!  Everyone wants to dance with the goofy white guy.  You just gotta remember if it's got an apple, it's got a banana.  :)

And the costs?  Inquiring for a friend . . .

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 6/4/2023 at 4:08 AM, JoeLansing said:

Currently my bil is trying to clean up our back yard by hacking at it with a bolo.  It was clean, but is now grown up to 4-5 feet.  I was looking for lawn mowers, but I finally figured out they just use big weed eaters down there?  I guess another thing to look for when I'm at Citi Hardware in Tagbilaran. 

I don't know if they have any near you, but sometimes Trust Hardware carries items that Citi does not. I bought a really great Honda weed whacker that we use every three to four weeks. We use very heavy nylon cord. We've been using it for over a year and the locals tell me it's the same brand and style that they use. I forget the price, but it was at Trust Hardware. No complaints. Just make sure it is a gasoline only 4-stroke and not a mixed gas/oil 2- stroke. Not that heavy these days and so simple to gas up and go.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Heavy coats after that monster aircon was installed?  :hystery:

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't know if they have any near you, but sometimes Trust Hardware carries items that Citi does not.

For smaller items (like hand tools) I often find the Mr DIY chain of shops easier, quicker and often cheaper.

• Like 5

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2023 at 9:07 PM, GeoffH said:

For smaller items (like hand tools) I often find the Mr DIY chain of shops easier, quicker and often cheaper.

Thank you for this.  I looked up Mr. DIY and it looks like a good source for a lot of stuff.  On Bohol their are 2 of them.  But they are both down Tagbilaran way.  So way over an hour away from my jungle joint of a house.  If I'm going down there, I can also go to Wilcon or Citi.  I will check them out though.

Edited by JoeLansing
  • Like 1