Arbitrary enforcement of imaginary road rules and finding the actual statutes and case law

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, KenM said:

I can’t find anything in here about the yellow lines at all. Nothing that says not to cross the double yellow for passing. Nothing about turning left. Which is maddening. Even crossing the double yellow to pass can’t be prohibited unless it’s in the law somewhere. 

I searched also and could not find any real detailed laws/ordinance.   Maybe they are at the provincial or even local level?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I searched also and could not find any real detailed laws/ordinance.   Maybe they are at the provincial or even local level?

...or individual enforcer level? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
KenM
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wrote both the Cebu and national LTO. National finally got back to me. Their letter addressed uturns rather than turns. My email to them was clearly discussing turning into parking. They did, however, provide a document that has more details of their standards than the drivers manual. In the relevant section it reads: 

"Double unbroken yellow lines should only be used where overtaking from both directions of the road and all crossing movements are prohibited. Vehicles must always keep to the right of the double yellow lines. 
Single unbroken yellow line should be used where overtaking from both directions of tihe road are prohibited. However, crossing movements are permitted. Vehicles must always keep to the right of the double yellow lines. 
Combinations of an unbroken yellow line and a white separation line have the same regulatory significance as a double unbroken yellow line for vehicles proceeding in the direction where the unbroken yellow line appears on the right ,of the markings, but vehicles traveling in the other direction are permitted to cross this line (see Figure 111.3).”

Part of the confusion, I think, is that he word crossing is being used in ways that differ from the rest of the world. The same document details the rules for when double yellow lines should be installed. They are not meant to be used to regulate left turns per se given rush hour traffic. They are meant to regulate passing or  making a Uturn when there is not enough visibility of oncoming traffic to do so safely, as you would expect. In Cebu at least the double yellow lines are being used in a manner and for a purpose that does not seem to be authorized by the standards. I think this is a case of be careful what you wish for. If motorists did not widely ignore this standard for the purpose of turning left, if the guards did not facilitate the left turns into many businesses, then many establishments would just be considered too difficult to go to. Or side streets would be clogged with vehicles making four corner turns, turns, Etc.  In the U.S. and much of the world this problem is solved by middle turn lanes in high traffic areas. 

I think it's a stupid approach, but now I know. Basically, make sure there are no traffic officers around. I find most frustrating is that there may be driving rules that are not clearly spelled out in the drivers manual and that deviate from international practice. It makes me paranoid of what other rules or unwritten expectations one might encounter.

Edited by KenM
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don't apply too much logic to it Ken.

Think of it this way, those situations are all part of the charm living there it's like a game and you never know when you may get a prize.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Think of it this way, those situations are all part of the charm living there it's like a game and you never know when you may get a prize.

I got a prize months ago in Manila. I had traveled the 90 km there mostly on the SLEX toll road. Once I got off the SLEX I made a wrong turn onto another toll road, but thought no problem I turn around when I see an exit. Got to the toll booth and the woman said my SLEX RFID would not work on that toll road. I said I accidentally got on this road and just want to turn around. She said no problem you can pay cash, I'll need your license and 50 peso. I waited about 5 minutes for my change and she told me to move from the toll booth and park on the side. Ten minutes later a toll police guy shows up and said I had blocked the toll gate so he had to issue me a ticket for blocking the road. No amount of talking from me or my wife got thru to him. He got my license from the toll booth woman and issued me a temporary driving license good for 72 hours he said I had to pay the fine and get my license back in Quezon City, since this was a Saturday that meant a 200km round trip on Monday. Since then if I have to go to Manila I drive to a parking lot I know of in Manila and use Grab. Love Philippines....

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KenM said:

and that deviate from international practice.

It's not universal international practice that you can turn into a parking bay across a double yellow/white line, in most states in Australia (but not all) and many other places that's a traffic violation.  It's only permitted on a single solid center line where my place in Aussie is for example.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)

There’s a road in the SBMA Freeport that  has a double yellow line, I’m not sure why because there’s a clear line of sight for quite a ways. It’s used mostly by large trucks and man they fly, I think it’s a 80kph zone. They would pass by on my bicycle and would not cross over or touch a wheel on those yellow lines even with no oncoming traffic, no matter how close they came to launching me into the jungle. I’m not sure they understand the intent of the law that it’s unsafe to pass.

Edited by Heeb

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It's not universal international practice that you can turn into a parking bay across a double yellow/white line, in most states in Australia (but not all) and many other places that's a traffic violation.  It's only permitted on a single solid center line where my place in Aussie is for example.

It’s the same in the USA, but not often enforced. And as @KenM mentioned, many areas have a center turn lane which’s usually  have dotted white or yellow lines inside of a single yellow one. 

@KenM - if you know it could be an issue turning left where you need to, then just come from the other direction so you’d be making a right turn into the parking lot. Problem solved! 🤣🤣🤣

Possum
Posted
Posted

Making a turn across double yellow lines doesn't even enter the mind of most drivers here. Whatever lines are painted are of no consequence. Why should they be? Police and HPG are rarely seen, especially outside the NCR.  Making a simple turn here it is normal to begin the turn into the lane  of on coming traffic. My wife who got  her drivers education in the Philippines and I sometimes just for entertainment purposes count the number of times we see people lining up to make a proper turn in an intersection. Most of the time it is 0. Her driving instructor taught her how to drive properly and obey the laws but even he said, once you are out on the road yourself it is more about how you feel people will turn, stop or pass not about the law since most learned at the "monkey see, monkey do" driving academy. Best thing to do is avoid driving as much as possible but if you must drive  be sure and have front and rear dash cams to CYA. One thing for sure, getting bored and falling asleep at the wheel is not an issue here  :smile:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2023 at 11:45 PM, Old55 said:

Politely give them the pesos or take a warning then get on with your life. Fighting them is about as useful as the painted lane lines.  

Learn the lesson I was taught as a teenager.  Place folded currency underneath your driver's license secured with a rubber band.  If the police officer returns your license without the currency and rubber band, he will lecture you not to repeat the offense, but no citation.  If the license is returned intact (never happened), there can be no accusation of gift giving because the money is there for emergencies.  No rubber band?  Hand over the license and money together and utter the magic words, "Pang Merienda." (Afternoon Snack).  Never say breakfast, lunch or dinner because the expectation is a larger amount.  At least that is how I was taught in the Philippines.  My teacher must have been a wise Shaolin monk, but I can't remember.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2