Arbitrary enforcement of imaginary road rules and finding the actual statutes and case law

Possum
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Learn the lesson I was taught as a teenager.  Place folded currency underneath your driver's license secured with a rubber band.  If the police officer returns your license without the currency and rubber band, he will lecture you not to repeat the offense, but no citation.  If the license is returned intact (never happened), there can be no accusation of gift giving because the money is there for emergencies.  No rubber band?  Hand over the license and money together and utter the magic words, "Pang Merienda." (Afternoon Snack).  Never say breakfast, lunch or dinner because the expectation is a larger amount.  At least that is how I was taught in the Philippines.

It takes a period of adjustment to realize what you say is true. It took me awhile to understand, even my wife who lived here all he life didn't know the customs. We're getting used to it now.

I recently read an article about the mayor of Baugio and discussed it with friends. They laughed and said that even if he is serious he would never be elected because they would destroy him on Facebook and Twitter during the election. If he were elected  he would not live long if he seriously tried to stop the corruption there are billions of dollars involved. Likely some truth to that but for us expats it's just entertaintment.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/07/08/2279477/magalong-challenges-lawmakers-pension

• Like 1

KenM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Possum said:

I got a prize months ago in Manila. I had traveled the 90 km there mostly on the SLEX toll road. Once I got off the SLEX I made a wrong turn onto another toll road, but thought no problem I turn around when I see an exit. Got to the toll booth and the woman said my SLEX RFID would not work on that toll road. I said I accidentally got on this road and just want to turn around. She said no problem you can pay cash, I'll need your license and 50 peso. I waited about 5 minutes for my change and she told me to move from the toll booth and park on the side. Ten minutes later a toll police guy shows up and said I had blocked the toll gate so he had to issue me a ticket for blocking the road. No amount of talking from me or my wife got thru to him. He got my license from the toll booth woman and issued me a temporary driving license good for 72 hours he said I had to pay the fine and get my license back in Quezon City, since this was a Saturday that meant a 200km round trip on Monday. Since then if I have to go to Manila I drive to a parking lot I know of in Manila and use Grab. Love Philippines....

That’s just outrageous. Do you think she did that just to keep the change? I would send letters to the agencies both of the cop and the toll booth. There will be camera footage. 

KenM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Possum said:

It takes a period of adjustment to realize what you say is true. It took me awhile to understand, even my wife who lived here all he life didn't know the customs. We're getting used to it now.

I recently read an article about the mayor of Baugio and discussed it with friends. They laughed and said that even if he is serious he would never be elected because they would destroy him on Facebook and Twitter during the election. If he were elected  he would not live long if he seriously tried to stop the corruption there are billions of dollars involved. Likely some truth to that but for us expats it's just entertaintment.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/07/08/2279477/magalong-challenges-lawmakers-pension

This is what I’ve been told by Filipino friends. But I’m still scared to try it. 

KenM
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Possum said:

Making a turn across double yellow lines doesn't even enter the mind of most drivers here. Whatever lines are painted are of no consequence. Why should they be? Police and HPG are rarely seen, especially outside the NCR.  Making a simple turn here it is normal to begin the turn into the lane  of on coming traffic. My wife who got  her drivers education in the Philippines and I sometimes just for entertainment purposes count the number of times we see people lining up to make a proper turn in an intersection. Most of the time it is 0. Her driving instructor taught her how to drive properly and obey the laws but even he said, once you are out on the road yourself it is more about how you feel people will turn, stop or pass not about the law since most learned at the "monkey see, monkey do" driving academy. Best thing to do is avoid driving as much as possible but if you must drive  be sure and have front and rear dash cams to CYA. One thing for sure, getting bored and falling asleep at the wheel is not an issue here  :smile:

It’s not a matter of people knowing the rules and not applying them. Even the document I provided from LTO does not define crossing. It is unclear what the actual law is. One would next need to look to court rulings if any exist. Drivers schools are also not clear on the meaning of crossing and the single vs. double lines:

https://www.pinoydriver.com/reviewer-questions/english/signs_markings/you-are-not-allowed-to-cross/

https://www.pinoydriver.com/reviewer-questions/english/signs_markings/two-continuous-parallel-yellow/

Edited by KenM

KenM
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Gator said:

It’s the same in the USA, but not often enforced. And as @KenM mentioned, many areas have a center turn lane which’s usually  have dotted white or yellow lines inside of a single yellow one. 

@KenM - if you know it could be an issue turning left where you need to, then just come from the other direction so you’d be making a right turn into the parking lot. Problem solved! 🤣🤣🤣

There are long stretches that go on for kilometers or miles where it is impossible in Cebu and surrounding areas to turn left if crossing the double yellow is not permitted. There are no left turn signs at all the intersections. There is literally no way to get to the other side of the road. 

It is legal in the U.S. to turn left over a double yellow line for the purpose of parking or turning onto a road on the left unless there is a no left turn sign:

IMG_1216.jpeg

Edited by KenM
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, KenM said:

That’s just outrageous. Do you think she did that just to keep the change? I would send letters to the agencies both of the cop and the toll booth. There will be camera footage. 

We thought of that at the time but knowing how things work here IF anything were done it would require multiple appearances in Manila. Cost benefit didn't balance out

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Possum said:

We thought of that at the time but knowing how things work here IF anything were done it would require multiple appearances in Manila. Cost benefit didn't balance out

Yep...if we fought every injustice we come across here we'd have little or no time to enjoy our lives.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It took me quite a while to get used to driving on the other side of the car (the other side of the road was easy by comparison).

My muscles have 50+ years of shifting a stick shift with my left arm and getting my right arm to do it anything like as smoothly and without thought as my left does has been slow... I'm guessing at my age building 'muscle memory' takes more time.

For a long time I preferred autos here simply because of gear shifting.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It took me quite a while to get used to driving on the other side of the car (the other side of the road was easy by comparison).

My muscles have 50+ years of shifting a stick shift with my left arm and getting my right arm to do it anything like as smoothly and without thought as my left does has been slow... I'm guessing at my age building 'muscle memory' takes more time.

For a long time I preferred autos here simply because of gear shifting.

The only issue I have come across is every time so far I go to put on my seatbelt I reach to the right and it's not there!  It's kinda awkward using my left arm to put it on.

• Haha 2