Arbitrary enforcement of imaginary road rules and finding the actual statutes and case law

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, KenM said:

They can take your license if it’s an actual officer or take your vehicle

I had my vehicle impounded in Dumaguete for leaving my driver's license at home, so yes,

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, KenM said:

The issues are 1) I have to go to this location every week and really need to make left turns and 2) I don’t want to get stopped all the time for unwritten rules. They can take your license if it’s an actual officer or take your vehicle. So I want to stop it dead before it gets to that. It makes me paranoid not know what the unwritten norms are that may substitute for the law.

I’ve heard about he 500 peso approach. Can you get in trouble for trying that? 

Ken, I myself would not attempt to bribe an officer. There is a small chance that could go very wrong or turn into an expectation. 

If you feel the officer is somewhat reasonable and you could calmly show him the law as written perhaps that would work. You understand how Filipino culture can become dug in on some minor thing and resisting that minor thing often causes significant drama. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, KenM said:

I’ve heard about he 500 peso approach. Can you get in trouble for trying that? 

Ken I cannot speak for Cebu but was recently stopped here in Bacolod for making a supposedly wrong left turn, (No signage)  After a lecture to my partner plus the threat of a having to go to a driving course and penalty the enforcement officers friend  approached us, hand out. We put P500 in that hand and smiles all around. No I do not argue or try to convince, whats the point, just pay up and move on.   Sorry drive on. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, KenM said:

To be clear, I am asking if anyone know where to access the actual traffic related statutes.

To be clear, this is what I mean to ask, does anyone know where to access the actual statutes?

https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/1964/06/20/republic-act-no-4136/

Theres quite a few here.

Little research and you can probably find all the statutes you need. This one confirms not allowed to drive with having your licence.

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2023 at 6:57 AM, Mike J said:

As @Old55 says, either accept the ticket or even fold a 500 peso not under your license as you hand it to the enforcer. 

I guess Covid and inflation caused the increase to 500 or you’re very generous @Mike J. Albeit it was many moons ago, I was told 500 was way too much and to only donate a 200 peso note to their Red Horse fund. One time an officer in Talisay at a check point  did give it back to me (was a paperwork n safety inspection checkpoint). The other 5-6 times I got stopped they took they happily took the 200 pesos and let me go on my way. Guess I’ll have to swap out the green note in my wallet for a yellow one. Lol

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, scott h said:

Just this last week we were visiting subic, got caught in an obvious trap.

Where?

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2023 at 7:54 AM, scott h said:

Not me, not anymore. When we first moved here, before I knew it the wife slipped an enforcer cash.

Just this last week we were visiting subic, got caught in an obvious trap. Illegal right turn. I did not see any signs, but low and behold two enforcers were standing there. (the only enforcers I saw during our 3 day visit lol:89:). 

When I ask what the problem was he said illegal right turn. I just told him to write a ticket, he did and said we was taking my license. I said that is now against the law and he can no longer confiscate them. He immediately backed down, gave me the ticket and my license.

We all know this place is corrupt, Me personally just refuse to be part of the problem. :stop_80_anim_gif:

I do admire your sentiments and actions. Was also the same earlier, now guess weariness or age has caught up, can no longer be bothered with the BS so just pay and move on. Maybe someone can clarify as have heard if one ignore the ticket it catches up come registration time?

KenM
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know where to access statutes and case law for the Philippines?

KenM
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2023 at 11:43 AM, Freebie said:

https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/1964/06/20/republic-act-no-4136/

Theres quite a few here.

Little research and you can probably find all the statutes you need. This one confirms not allowed to drive with having your licence.

I can’t find anything in here about the yellow lines at all. Nothing that says not to cross the double yellow for passing. Nothing about turning left. Which is maddening. Even crossing the double yellow to pass can’t be prohibited unless it’s in the law somewhere.