Condo or house

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

I’ve stayed in a condo for a month and it was ok , small and some of the folk that live there could be noisy at times and the pool was not looked after very well so what’s best a condo or a house or a apartment any of members living in those who can give there likes and dislikes from where they have or are living , plus the cost too 

Should I take it that you are asking about a place to stay on a visit to the Phils?  Or a suitable permanent home in the Phils?

My last 2 trips to the Phils I have stayed mostly in Iloilo City in a fairly new, large condo complex.  Stayed there for 2 months in early 2022 and 4 months in late 2022 - early 2023.  It was fine.  Very little noise, either from neighboring units or from outside.  No discos, karaoke places, just a limited amount of traffic noise.  We'll probably stay there again when I go back later this year.  I can also say that the place was very well kept.  Not many people used the large swimming pool, but it was maintained daily and very clean.

Living in a house in many places in the Phils is by no means an assurance of noise-free.  Probably as close as you can get is as @Kingpinsuggests...a large house, small village, high walls.  But even that won't offer much protection if the folks on the other side of the walls are into karaoke every night, keep a flock of roosters and the usual assortment on unruly canines.  And then there are those who like to burn their garbage and send the smoke your way.  

Also, as @stevewoolsuggests, things can change.  The character of the neighborhood can change; lots of things.  You can obtain some reasonable assurance of peace and quiet if you live in the middle of a large acreage.  I like that about where I am.  The minimum allowed lot size is 10 acres and most have quite a bit more. Most have one boundary on the ocean and we build close to the waterfront.  That means that the closest property you are looking at is the next island which, for me, is an uninhabited 160-acre island about a mile distant.  Then a much larger island (38 square miles) a mile behind that.  I don't hear any noise from there, or from the mainland mountain range I can see beyond that :smile:

Some of the popular YouTube Phils vloggers (too many now to keep up with them all) recommend that, before buying or renting a house, visit the place a few times, different times of day, different days of the week, to get some idea of what to expect.  Probably a good idea if you have the time available to carry out that kind of investigation.  

I should add that, for us, the Iloilo condo we rent has the advantage of being close to a lot of things.  We are within easy walking distance of the Festive Walk Mall and not far away, still an easy walk, there is another large SM mall.  Many restaurants, grocery stores, medical clinic, etc., etc.  We don't need a vehicle.  The location is such that anyplace else you might want to go in the city is quickly accessible by taxi and you would be hard pressed to pay more than about P200 in fare.  We take trips out to the province for a few days at a time, just leaving the condo locked and it is secure.  No one gets in the building without passing a front desk, manned 24/7.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

We have a house outside Manila. It was built 2005 and we were happy, not perfect but pretty good. Now the situation is different, lots of trash, dogs, roosters and smelling gray and blackwater from neighboring houses.

If I should start over in a new location I would definitely rent. If the problems start to pile up it's easy to move to another place.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

Probably as close as you can get is as @Kingpinsuggests...a large house, small village, high walls.

But even that won't offer much protection if the folks on the other side of the walls

About the village I should have mentioned the bigger the better.  Not only is it easier to be isolated from external noise within the village, but these subdivision types aren't generally situated near the crowded squatter areas considering the lot parcels are way too valuable. Neighbors could be mountains, malls, golf courses, etc

4 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

I like that about where I am.  The minimum allowed lot size is 10 acres and most have quite a bit more. Most have one boundary on the ocean and we build close to the waterfront.

In the Philippines?

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted

9 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

In the Philippines?

That might be nice, but no.  The home property of which I speak is on an island in British Columbia, one of the gulf islands between Vancouver Island (which is about 300 miles long) and the mainland.  It's a bit over 50 acres with 4,000 feet of waterfront.  I would guess to buy the equivalent in the Phils would cost millions.  Over the years, wealthy foreigners have, I believe, bid up the price of most of the good waterfront into the stratosphere.  Not that I have looked in recent years.  Here, such property is not worth much.

starrt
Posted
Posted

As most have mentioned, it sort of depends on whether you are just passing through or settling there.

We live in a gated community in Metro Manila. We have bought, and paid off, our 2 bedroom unit with one parking space, and now pay about 5500 Php a month in condo fees and water. Our unit is far away from any traffic noise, and there are all sorts of rules and regulations about what and when and how. But overall it is still a pleasant place to live, the buildings are well maintained, and we are not that far from malls and such.

If your are only passing through, from what I have seen online, the monthly rental for a furnished unit here can be anywhere from 20000 Php on up.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

We've lived in an apartment and our own house since I've been here and honestly, the apartment in a city was less noisy than the house in "The Province".  I don't mind the noise here now, it's almost a background static of kids, roosters, dogs, pigs, sometimes karaoke and I think I'd be worried if it did suddenly become quiet.  The music never goes past 9pm unless there's a barangay event and that venue is far enough away that we may hear the thump of the bass.  I've become used to the cacophony and actually quite like it now.  The only annoyances for me really are the neighbours that don't clean out their pigsties regularly so when the wind blows from that direction it's a bit on the nose and the charcoal maker two doors down, again when the wind is from their place.  

I think the only way to isolate yourself if by owning acreage and building smack bang in the middle of it but even then noise travels at night.  

It's very much a YMMV situation and doing the groundwork in your chosen area is essential.  

Prices depend on how far you are from a major metro area and even then it can vary wildly; there's no consistency in rental or purchasing price for about the same quality of residence in the same area with a variation of up to 50% in my experience.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, jimeve said:

It's June and July. Every Saturday June and July, then the last 4 days of July long weekend. Disco stops after 2 am then I can sleep.

It's the Barangay official Disco. speakers size of a small truck.

Surely thats not such a big deal, 12 days out of a year, Ace have some very good ear lugs, use to use them for barking dogs, very effective.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

I came from a new 170 Square meter house with Jacuzzi and all the trimmings to a shoe box apartment. Thought would never make it, quite the opposite in fact, love it in apartment. 

Much quieter, and my time is my own, love the pool plus time now to enjoy it. Security is a non issue, car parking and pretty much zero maintenance. Off for a few days soon and no worries at all. 

Draw backs, especially for the other half are lack of space for growing, she has to be satisfied with hydroponics on the terrace, always bitching about more space for plants.

Bottom line Steve do I have any regrets and wish to return to the latter...No Way. But each to their own.

• Like 5

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

That might be nice, but no.  The home property of which I speak is on an island in British Columbia, one of the gulf islands between Vancouver Island (which is about 300 miles long) and the mainland.  It's a bit over 50 acres with 4,000 feet of waterfront.  I would guess to buy the equivalent in the Phils would cost millions.  Over the years, wealthy foreigners have, I believe, bid up the price of most of the good waterfront into the stratosphere.  Not that I have looked in recent years.  Here, such property is not worth much.

Good to see you post here Hesty, Me Asawa departs the States this Saturday for family time, Nay passed away 2 weeks ago :sad:, I can't make it twice this year so soon .

While she is there, she is gonna get our lot resurveyed & marked for late 2024 house construction, it's on the out-skirts of Cabanatuan City. Not too far from family & not to close to Roosters, Dog-Shit & 24hr Karaoke..See ya there one day my friend:cheersty:.

• Like 3

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

...See ya there one day my friend:cheersty:.

Lookin' forward to it:smile:

• Like 1