Condo or house

jimeve
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Old55 said:

Steve we stayed in a small studio condo for a month last year. For the most part we only slept there so it worked out just fine. 

Jim, have you tried wearing ear plugs at night? I do if in a nosy location works well for me.

Need more than ear plugs and yes I have tried them, compleatly useless. I posted this problem last month, the walls, doors and windows shake.

• Sad 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Surely thats not such a big deal, 12 days out of a year, Ace have some very good ear lugs, use to use them for barking dogs, very effective.

Spread out over 12 months of the year, maybe. If someone started to bang a bass drum next to you in your home I think you might get a little pissed. Or started to shoot a 12 gauge shot gun. That's how loud it is. Even the locals move out of their homes and stay with relatives for those nightmare nights. The only people like that like noise are the ones on drugs.

Barking dogs don't bother me at all, been living in the jungle for over 6 years. Ear plugs are compleatly ineffective against the disco.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

Should I take it that you are asking about a place to stay on a visit to the Phils?  Or a suitable permanent home in the Phils?

My last 2 trips to the Phils I have stayed mostly in Iloilo City in a fairly new, large condo complex.  Stayed there for 2 months in early 2022 and 4 months in late 2022 - early 2023.  It was fine.  Very little noise, either from neighboring units or from outside.  No discos, karaoke places, just a limited amount of traffic noise.  We'll probably stay there again when I go back later this year.  I can also say that the place was very well kept.  Not many people used the large swimming pool, but it was maintained daily and very clean.

Living in a house in many places in the Phils is by no means an assurance of noise-free.  Probably as close as you can get is as @Kingpinsuggests...a large house, small village, high walls.  But even that won't offer much protection if the folks on the other side of the walls are into karaoke every night, keep a flock of roosters and the usual assortment on unruly canines.  And then there are those who like to burn their garbage and send the smoke your way.  

Also, as @stevewoolsuggests, things can change.  The character of the neighborhood can change; lots of things.  You can obtain some reasonable assurance of peace and quiet if you live in the middle of a large acreage.  I like that about where I am.  The minimum allowed lot size is 10 acres and most have quite a bit more. Most have one boundary on the ocean and we build close to the waterfront.  That means that the closest property you are looking at is the next island which, for me, is an uninhabited 160-acre island about a mile distant.  Then a much larger island (38 square miles) a mile behind that.  I don't hear any noise from there, or from the mainland mountain range I can see beyond that :smile:

Some of the popular YouTube Phils vloggers (too many now to keep up with them all) recommend that, before buying or renting a house, visit the place a few times, different times of day, different days of the week, to get some idea of what to expect.  Probably a good idea if you have the time available to carry out that kind of investigation.  

I should add that, for us, the Iloilo condo we rent has the advantage of being close to a lot of things.  We are within easy walking distance of the Festive Walk Mall and not far away, still an easy walk, there is another large SM mall.  Many restaurants, grocery stores, medical clinic, etc., etc.  We don't need a vehicle.  The location is such that anyplace else you might want to go in the city is quickly accessible by taxi and you would be hard pressed to pay more than about P200 in fare.  We take trips out to the province for a few days at a time, just leaving the condo locked and it is secure.  No one gets in the building without passing a front desk, manned 24/7.

Megaworld? 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I've lived in both condos and houses, about 50% in each.  Both have their pros and cons but in my experience condos tend to be more noisy on average but this will depend on local situation, including how well-managed they are.  Like almost everything, you get what you pay for and the more you pay the more likely  you are to get a better experience.  And, there is a difference between a short stay and a more permanent place - for me, for a short stay a condo wins every day but for something more permanent I tend towards a house.  

Horses for courses.

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

We built our house on 2 hectares a long way from the business district and everything was good for five years, then the rave parties started  in the rain forest across the river from us, which start at 6 p.m. and don’t finish until 10 a.m. the next day, the squatters camp about 500 metres from us on the same side of the river as we started belting out music, the heavy bass noise in response. 
The noise is relentless, not even ear plugs can help. 

I am repeating myself here in saying that it has to be the noisiest country, where people don’t give a damn about their actions, but still go to the church on a Sunday pretending to be  holy and  religious but they are anything but.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

So what is the method of soundproofing a room?

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Megaworld? 

That's the place. You are right.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Hestecrefter said:

That's the place. You are right.

My SIL had a studio apartment there, in the very last block nearest the highway, was reasonably nice and the finish was acceptable.  Big swimming pool which was usually very quiet.  My son actually goes to the school opposite the apartments.