Outrageous Extra Charges

usa32
Posted
Posted

Whether true or not. I stayed at okada on my last trip and the bartender, says the hotel keeps credit card tips. So cash tips are appreciated.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, usa32 said:

Whether true or not. I stayed at okada on my last trip and the bartender, says the hotel keeps credit card tips. So cash tips are appreciated.

I'm sure he did! Why wouldn't he? 

Joking apart, as a Brit I'm not even sure how such conversations with hotel and restaurant staff even come up in the normal course of events.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Joey G said:

Sounds like they hired marketing flunkies to me.  If they want to increase prices, just do it. Most people decide if a place is too expensive before they go. If a place is worth it, people will pay. But if you want to lose a customer for good, then surprise them at the end with a big bill they didn't expect. Even if the food was great no one wants to be played a sucker. First time shame on you, second time shame on me.

I guess it's one of the differences between a tourist restaurant and others.  I'm sure many if not most tourist restaurants recognise that most customers are one-offs and unlikely to return so the incentive to cultivate a relationship is close to zero. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I guess it's one of the differences between a tourist restaurant and others.  I'm sure many if not most tourist restaurants recognize that most customers are one-offs and unlikely to return so the incentive to cultivate a relationship is close to zero. 

Although what you say is true, you also need to consider social media and the various dining apps, such as Four Square; even google maps has reviews for restos, etc.  A few bad reviews or posts on social media made by even a  minor celebrity can have a cascading negative effect on a resto (or any business for that matter). 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Although what you say is true, you also need to consider social media and the various dining apps, such as Four Square; even google maps has reviews for restos, etc.  A few bad reviews or posts on social media made by even a  minor celebrity can have a cascading negative effect on a resto (or any business for that matter). 

You're right of course, but I still think tourist restaurants are less impacted by such reviews than other types of restaurant.  

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, hk blues said:

as a Brit I'm not even sure how such conversations with hotel and restaurant staff even come up in the normal course of events.  

Not really surprising if your a Yank. Most of us colonials have probably worked in a restaurant as a busboy, waiter, valet or some other menial part time, service-related job in high school or college where tips are a part of the wage.

couple that with the natural gregariousness and curiosity of ugly Americans it seems natural to me that the question would be asked. Heck I have asked it myself several time over the years of waiters and the like who I developed a rapport with :thumbsup:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2023 at 9:18 PM, hk blues said:

Joking apart, as a Brit I'm not even sure how such conversations with hotel and restaurant staff even come up in the normal course of events.  

When cruising, I seek out Filipino crew members to practice my Tagalog and out of curiosity converse about their lifestyle.  Asking, "How much do you make?" is not culturally offensive.  They are very eager to talk and share about the difficulties of their contractual requirements.  Yet most are already in their 7th or 8th contract because the pay is very good.

Casual conversations won't happen with Brits because the class distinctions remain very strong.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

When cruising, I seek out Filipino crew members to practice my Tagalog and out of curiosity converse about their lifestyle.  Asking, "How much do you make?" is not culturally offensive.  They are very eager to talk and share about the difficulties of their contractual requirements.  Yet most are already in their 7th or 8th contract because the pay is very good.

Being a Filipina, my wife opens more doors when we're in Hawaii than I can imagine. But it happens all around the world as well. And yes, I'm always surprised how much information (about their job and life) she gleans from a 5-10 minute conversation. We are going on a cruise next year. Never have done one. Over a month in the Pacific.  I'm guessing we will reap a few benefits throughout.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Joey G said:

Being a Filipina, my wife opens more doors when we're in Hawaii than I can imagine. But it happens all around the world as well. And yes, I'm always surprised how much information (about their job and life) she gleans from a 5-10 minute conversation. We are going on a cruise next year. Never have done one. Over a month in the Pacific.  I'm guessing we will reap a few benefits throughout.

My wife and I cruise a lot (119 nights in 2022, 66 nights in 2023) due to our current nomadic, homeless lifestyle.  Cost of staying in a motel or hotel is almost the same plus you get three meals, two snacks, and live entertainment at night.  We avoid the extras expenses like shore excursions, fancy meals, premium coffee, alcoholic beverages, buying overpriced paintings and jewelry.  Being a shareholder in Carnival Cruise Lines entitles you to cruise credits.  Amount of credit is $250 for a 14 days or longer cruise.  Other tricks are making a $100 deposit for a future cruise.  The $100 deposit is deducted from the price, and you get an additional amount in credit ($125).  We select cruises that are not popular like Los Angeles to Tahiti and return.  Or find one off season like 50% less such as Los Angeles to Hawaii and return.  During the summer months when the passenger load is over 110% with children staying in their parents' cabin, the ships are overcrowded.

During your Pacific cruise, let the staff know about your Philippine connection.  The service improves.  I can get "arroz caldo" for breakfast when it is not in the menu.  Even patis (fish sauce), probably sourced from the crew cafeteria, upon request.

OH NO!  I just learned a hurricane may hit Los Angeles on the day of our departure from San Pedro.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Casual conversations won't happen with Brits because the class distinctions remain very strong.

Confused Tom Hanks GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Funny gif, Funny memes,  Funny

• Like 1
  • Haha 2