Outrageous Extra Charges

• 2 months later...
Graywulf
Posted
Posted
On 8/15/2023 at 4:23 AM, JJReyes said:

I love the Philippines where the restaurant industry remains sane.  You add a tip or there is a 10% service fee based on total charges less 12% VAT.  In Los Angeles, things have gotten out of hand.  There are postings of restaurant receipts on a Reddit account regarding outrageous extra charges.  It includes unexpected additions such as:

Security Fee

Credit Card Processing Fee

Administrative Fee

Restaurant Fee

Corkage

Employee Health Insurance

Kitchen Appreciation Fee

Surcharge for Staff Meals

To Go Surcharge (Boxes for Leftovers)

Zero Footprint Restore the Planet Fee

One restaurant has a 20% surcharge to help defray the rising cost of the restaurant industry.  You are still encouraged to leave a tip on top.  We don't eat out in Southern California because mandatory tipping is one of my pet peeves.  During our Philippine visits, it's dining out lunch and dinner.  Breakfast is either included as part of our hotel stay or we buy pastries and coffee.

I don't get it... Tipping is supposed to be optional? (I'm English, living in NZ) How the heck is it 'legal' to just add 10/20% to  a bill?

I've raised my eyebrows at 'cover charges' being applied etc, and then the 10% goes on top of it all. I guess this is one of the big discrepancies between USA life and other countries....

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/20/2023 at 10:02 PM, Graywulf said:

I don't get it... Tipping is supposed to be optional? (I'm English, living in NZ) How the heck is it 'legal' to just add 10/20% to  a bill?

I've raised my eyebrows at 'cover charges' being applied etc, and then the 10% goes on top of it all. I guess this is one of the big discrepancies between USA life and other countries....

JJ is speaking about a restaurant located in Las Angeles.

Some restaurants in Cebu City and Manila charge a mandatory service charge as well.

Edited by Old55
Removed political comment about LA
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Location of the actual armpits of the US might be a good thread topic.

That would be a long topic and would have little to do with the Philippines. That being said the USA is a large country and there are many locations which may not be one's cup of tea, much like the Philippines. Moving is always an option.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Possum said:

That would be a long topic and would have little to do with the Philippines. That being said the USA is a large country and there are many locations which may not be one's cup of tea, much like the Philippines. Moving is always an option.

I agree completely. I couldn’t resist making a small joke about Texas, is all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

So back on topic.  Recently spent two days in Cebu City to do some errands.  The two restaurants where we ate both added a "surcharge" to the bill.  In both cases the amount of the surcharge was less than we normally tip.  My wife says it is because the majority of Filipinos do not tip. 

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

So back on topic.  Recently spent two days in Cebu City to do some errands.  The two restaurants where we ate both added a "surcharge" to the bill.  In both cases the amount of the surcharge was less than we normally tip.  My wife says it is because the majority of Filipinos do not tip. 

Makes sense....the money they're losing on your tip is more than made up by the money gained from the majority.

I genuinely would be more than happy to pay 10% service charge IF it went to the staff but...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Makes sense....the money they're losing on your tip is more than made up by the money gained from the majority.

I genuinely would be more than happy to pay 10% service charge IF it went to the staff but...

If it went to the staff. Highly doubtful but would be nice if it did.

Mike, how much was the extra charge?

Edited by Old55

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We will spend two nights in a hotel near SM Seaside Mall next March. The service charge is 2,800 Peso's.

It's like those darn resort fees in Vegas just a somewhat hidden extra charge. 

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

It's like those darn resort fees in Vegas just a somewhat hidden extra charge.

I've never understood why a resort charges a resort fee. What's next an airline ticket charging a flying fee?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1