Outrageous Extra Charges

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

If it went to the staff. Highly doubtful but would be nice if it did.

Mike, how much was the extra charge?

I did not calculate it exactly, but my estimate was a bit under 10 percent.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Possum said:

I've never understood why a resort charges a resort fee. What's next an airline ticket charging a flying fee?

They charge instead for a window seat, a pillow, a snack sandwich, etc.   I am waiting for them to put a coin slot on the lavatory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I am waiting for them to put a coin slot on the lavatory

I remember those days

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

A lot of the extra charges are just disguised "bait and switch" tactics.  They lure you into purchasing and then add on the rest hoping you don't care enough (or notice till it's too late).  So yeah being a smart consumer you can factor that into the overall value of the product and price... and if still happy, it's all good.

But there are enough people who are clueless, and i.e. will walk up to a airline ticket counter and get loaded down with "extra fee's"... which eliminates any time to calculate the value of them overall... and 99% leave with a bitter taste over the whole experience even if it was still cheaper than another airline.  Same with hotels and restaurants.

You'd think businesses would care what consumers think... but they know that the many people (perhaps the vast majority) don't do their homework or read up ahead of time, and they take advantage of that.  In large companies there whole departments that do nothing but sensitivity analysis on what they can get away with to maximize profits.

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

They charge instead for a window seat, a pillow, a snack sandwich, etc.   I am waiting for them to put a coin slot on the lavatory. 

The discount airlines charge for baggage. WTH? They think you won't change clothes?

I now fly premium economy or better just to get service that used to be included in an economy class ticket when on long flights. Well, not for that reason alone. I also get cranky cramped up in a tiny seat, worrying about deep vein thrombosis and being given food that looks like it has already been eaten and regurgitated.

Yes, living long enough to see the deterioration of air travel annoys me.

• Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just booked fights for a holiday this coming December £170 for 2 folk , then add luggage 22 kilos each but at £80 each person then if you would like to sit together it’s £20 per person so in total £370 , but I’m not paying that , included in the first £170 is 10kilos carry on but at a certain size , so that’s 20 kilos I’m going to have , not paying for seats just check in on line as soon as we can and maybe we will site together, it’s only a 3 hour flight so no problem , I’m paying £250 a saving of £120 

We could fly for cheaper with all our luggage but that means driving for over 4 hours each way plus paying to park the car for 2 weeks which then would work out the same price as the £370 

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I guess in the past airlines pretty much included everything in the fare price but with the advent of LCCs we see everything being stripped out and offered to those who want it.  Like everything, we need to look at total cost rather than base cost but I think that any charges which are compulsory i.e. taxes, booking fees etc should be included in the base price.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
On 10/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, Possum said:

Yes, living long enough to see the deterioration of air travel annoys me.

Yep,

I remember my family smoking on planes,

We only wore seats belts for landing and take-off,

Security.... Was the lady who just checked your ticket.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
bob1965
Posted
Posted
On 10/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, MotorSarge said:

Yep,

I remember my family smoking on planes,

We only wore seats belts for landing and take-off,

Security.... Was the lady who just checked your ticket.

That’s back when people dressed up to fly. 

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted
On 11/24/2023 at 8:43 AM, bob1965 said:

That’s back when people dressed up to fly. 

My mom took me to New York City on a TWA flight in 1970 when I was 6. I remember wearing a tie...

• Like 2