small city on coast, mall, restaurant diversity

Simon Sykes
Posted
Posted

I like to surf fish. Don't need a beach per se, any coastline will do. Big enough city to support a mall, and a few pizza/Chinese/western/espresso/middle-eastern or other ethnic restaurants. 

I've read a dozen internet articles on 10 best beach towns in the Philippines. I don't mind at all if your recommendations are on that list. Most of the articles are generic, and appear to be written by bots with no one the ground experience with the locations.

All ideas are welcome. Thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Simon.

For the most part shore based fishing is ill-advised or fished out. 
Most medium sized towns feature malls. Larger towns and cities more elaborate and numerous they are but nothing is certain in Philippines.  
Food and restaurants as you mentioned depends on many factors. Western style fast food is common place.
The market dictates types of restaurants. Wealthier filipinos and expats living in a particular area you may find sone acceptable choices including supermarkets stocking western foods.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Simon.   Moalboal comes fairly close to your list except for the surf fishing.  As @Old55most shore lines have fished out by locals or are protected/preserved for snorkel and scuba.  A disadvantage to Moalboal is lack of major medical care.  The closest "real" hospital is 2-3 hours away depending on traffic.  Perhaps you could list the cities you read about?  I am curious and I think other forum members would also be interested.

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

That would be hard to find in the Philippines.   Even relatively "bigger" cities like Tagaytay, you would be hard pressed to find diverse restaurants.   My best guess might be somewhere on Palawan (but not El Nido), much of the water is so polluted you can not even swim (speaking strictly to surf casting)    Or maybe even somewhere on Cebu.  Lot of coastline in the Philippines so maybe somebody on here may know a gem of a place that fits your desires. 

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, jjcabgou said:

much of the water is so polluted

That's a problem everywhere in the Philippines, the fish are toxic and should be avoided completely, beaches are terrible, the only locations fit for expats here are a few major cities.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

Some folks want/need the amenities of a large city, others desire the more laid back life style in the province.  There are advantages and challenges to each.

You can have both though, that's part of my point. There's nothing more 'laid back' then a high-end city subdivision lifestyle, because it comes without province challenges of brownouts, few ATMs, internet, variety (and delivery) of foods, security, noisy roosters, drunk videoke, etc.

• Like 4