Cell phone culture

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, RBM said:

Having not been in a western country now for 5 years, often wonder if the cell fone addiction we see here is similar in the west. Any comments on this appreciated.

I was going to mention something about this in my Malaysia vs. Philippines article, which is still to be written someday!

In Malaysia, cell phones were not so visible in work places.  Here in Subic / Olongapo, workers in small businesses are constantly on their cell phones.  Sometimes you have to get their attention before they will serve you.  I did not see that in Malaysia.  Customer service was much better.  Most of the small store clerks are Muslim girls / women, and they were very polite and helpful.  I had to return something at a phone store and they were eager to please.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Cell phone use here in the US is prevalent with most younger people. Even while they are walking around or worse suddenly stopping blocking a walkway oblivious to others around them.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Cell phone use here in the US is prevalent with most younger people. Even while they are walking around or worse suddenly stopping blocking a walkway oblivious to others around them.

I'll have to add it is prevalent amongst the middle age class folks here also..Everywhere.. driving, walking, shopping etc

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

In Australia when I left in January 2022 it's prevalent from people in their 50's (Gen Xers) and increases and becomes more obnoxious as the age lowers down to Gen Z who have them grafted to their hands.  My extended family in Australia has rules about phone usage at gatherings etc (they're big, I have 56 first cousins on my father's side alone - he has 13 brothers and sisters.  Yes, practicing Irish Catholic for the most part); none at the table when eating, during weddings, funerals and speeches at those events and stuff like that.  It's generally more difficult for the younger members of the family but there's also a cadre in the Boomers and Gen X who find it equally challenging.  

It's here to stay until Bill/Elon/Jeff finally invents the implants at which time the social graces will wither and die. 

Table of generations for reference:

image.png

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Good this thread is started.  I was very interested in the comparison between western countries and here. Appears the cross word puzzles have faded....

Times it drives me crazy, my partner is the best for me, in every field except this cell fone garbage, it always give me the impression I come second. Some how can only be described as an obsession, even I down load movies that i know she would enjoy she sits on the fone all the way through. Few years ago loved reading....not remember last time she read a book.....

Yesterday in DIY the check out girls were too busy on fones to attend customers, well guess we should blame the supervisor how ever he also very busy on fone.

• Like 5

Joey G
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

One of my favorite passtimes. Spotting a frail pinoy teenager walking with his head down engrossed in his phone straight at me. I just stand still and wait till he bounced off me. A couple have actually ended up on their 3rd point of contact :hystery:. Make me feel like my hero.

dick-butkus-chicago-bears.jpg

Butkus! Best ever.... period.

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Accompanied my son to his dental appointment last week.

My son and the other 6/8 customers faces were all in their phones.

I was the only one watching the TV they had on, in addition I noticed back a few months ago they have removed all the paperbacks and periodicals....sad. 

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

After my son graduates his college and ROTC he's offs to a 3-week basic training program (Chair Force).

His biggest complaint is they are not allowed to have their cells phones...!

Back when Jesus was a Corporal and when I went to basic training there was no such things as cell phones.

There was a telephone booth for Red Cross emergencies only. 

We wrote snail mail letters under the cover of darkness with red lensed flashlights that the drill sergeants would hold onto until the end of the week to send out in bundles.

Back when men were men and you got cursed out and a boot in your back during pushups for falling asleep after 48 hours of duty.

I will shut up now....That Is All.

• Like 3